WARNING - Firmware 5.24

Blacksails

Strange. This is the first time I've updated my wkm since 5.02. I've been flying a lot on 5.24 and other than the gps hold not being as locked as it was in 5.02, Its been fine. I've not had it exit into atti mode at all.

ddikie

Well just plugged everything in to roll back to 5.22 and noticed that there was yet another update available.. 5.26 but checking the release notes looks like a freebe 50 waighpoints if you have the ground station..

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
As much as I love DJI and the Wookong, I think I'd be a bag of nerves trusting it to follow 50 waypoints. Hell, don't think I'd like it to try 3 or 4.

jhardway

I have the same problem with 5.24 and GPS hold. I have tested this both on my quad and my s800 using WKM. What version of firmware is suggested to go back to for more stable GPS hold?

I have been flying two copters on 5.22 and everything is pretty good there.

saidquad

I have been flying two copters on 5.22 and everything is pretty good there.

Thanks but I miss the RTH switch function on 5.22. I would like to have that option. The new 50 free way points on 5.26 fw is almost useless for me since the GPS lock is not stable.

B

Bengit

Looks like 5.24 has disappeared.....now jumps from 5.22 to 5.26 !!!

ddikie

I cant believe it they have removed all evidence of 5.24 ever existed ( its not appearing in the release history at all) ..as you guys know in an earlier thread I maidened my S800 - EVO on 5.24 and it crashed..as far as i can justify that it tang amount to an admission of guilt on DJI's behalf..for all those long term WKM users out there have they ever done that before with a Firmware release before? would be good to get a bit of history on the issue of dodgy firmware so i can try and make a case with DJI

Many thanks

ddikie

The question now remains have they fixed the problem in 5.26 or was it just a cosmetic upgrade the release notes don't mention anything...doing my second maiden flight later today will stick with 5.22 and see what happens before i go to 5.26

Blacksails

There have been lots of issues with DJI's firmware in the past. That's the reason I stayed with 5.02.
One of the releases (can't remember which one) shortly after 5.02 was crashing octocopters that used traditional rx's. They didn't erase all history of it though...

I cant believe it they have removed all evidence of 5.24 ever existed ( its not appearing in the release history at all) ..as you guys know in an earlier thread I maidened my S800 - EVO on 5.24 and it crashed..as far as i can justify that it tang amount to an admission of guilt on DJI's behalf..for all those long term WKM users out there have they ever done that before with a Firmware release before? would be good to get a bit of history on the issue of dodgy firmware so i can try and make a case with DJI
They didn't remove all evidence of it. It's still there and lists all the changes 5.24 had. Page 2 of the release notes.
It's just that they did not come out with a new Software Assistant version, so 5.26 still uses 2.02. So v2.02 wants to upgrade the FC to 5.26, and there is no specific Assistant Software for 5.24 which is very normal for their release cycles.

ddikie

Hi There all..

Well i finally managed to get off the ground on 5.22 this evening, pilot friend of mine poped over and we took off in Atti mode all was great..moved to Gps Atti and all was great..landed and thought we would try 5.26 so with the laptop at hand swapped over to 2.02 and installed 5.26..took off in Atti mode and shortly afterwards went GPS mode..it never kicked into GPS mode..flew fine in Atti & manual but GPS was not possible..anyway landed and swapped to 5.22 again..not trusting 5.24 or 5.26 until there are confirmed reports of success.

I appreciate on page 2 you will still see the release notes..of 5.24 but the firmware is still not available on the download list..which i think is strange..but from my flight i would hav eto say there are the same issues of dropping out of GPS into atti as reported earlier in the 5.24 version in 5.26...will stick with 5.22 for now...

eyeball

I think I have just the machine to try it out on especially as it has the 50 waypoints. I'll give it ago later and let you know. I wonder if it would get from mine to the southport area?

Black Adder

5.26 installed yesterday.Wanted 5.24 but it was replaced with 5.26 on DJI pages.After 2 flights, 20 minutes in air, i can say that RTH now works.Hexa climbed to 20 meters, rotates toward HOME position, returned and slowly descended.GPS hold works without drifting in moderate wind.Only thing that is confusing is LED indication.After powering hexa green flashes confirm direction record, then series of blue flashes after arming (home position record),
and after that purple flashes constantly, sometimes is unclear is it white or purple.Manual says that purple flahes are normal within 8 meters from HOME in GPS/ATTI mode.

Glad to hear that. So it sounds like you didn't experience the dropping out of GPS mode problems that some have reported?
I'll probably give it a try this week.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
We know that GPS Hold works, the question is whether or not it drops in and out of GPS and Atti if flown with the switch in GPS position? This is what I have understood from Droider's original point and which several others have corroborated, that flying with the GPS switch ON, results in the WKM jumping back and forth between GPS and Atti.

The GPS is supposed to be 'dynamic', which means that as long as stick commands are received it will obey and allow the MR to move forwards, for example, but will at the same time constantly update GPS so that when the stick is finally released, the GPS coordinates will be registered as the new HOLD POSITION.

Cheshirecat

I am flying on a V1 IMU and V2 Compass with 5.24 on SJX4 and i don't believe i have experienced this dropping out of GPS issue to date.
I flew yesterday in winds gusting at 17-18 MPH over an open field to see how it handled the wind, fought with altitude hold a bit in GPS which i put down to aerodynamic lift as the wind gusted and had to concentrate extra hard on landing holding off until a gust passed, but otherwise i was pleased with the way the rig flew and the zen was very stable. I have seen 2 uncommanded CCW Yaws through 45 degrees, once in the wind yesterday and one previously when flying in a buildings quadrangle where is suspected a swirling effect from the wind against the buildings and i have been monitoring the iOSD output on the down link but not seen it switch to Atti momentarily.
Maybe so far i have just not been afflicted or the combination of IMU and Compass versions impacts this phenomenon.
I didn't see anything in the release notes to suggest anything else had been addressed expect adding the way points for all, as i already have this there is no obvious reason to go to 5.26 for me.

I am flying on a V1 IMU and V2 Compass with 5.24 on SJX4 and i don't believe i have experienced this dropping out of GPS issue to date.
I flew yesterday in winds gusting at 17-18 MPH over an open field to see how it handled the wind, fought with altitude hold a bit in GPS which i put down to aerodynamic lift as the wind gusted and had to concentrate extra hard on landing holding off until a gust passed, but otherwise i was pleased with the way the rig flew and the zen was very stable. I have seen 2 uncommanded CCW Yaws through 45 degrees, once in the wind yesterday and one previously when flying in a buildings quadrangle where is suspected a swirling effect from the wind against the buildings and i have been monitoring the iOSD output on the down link but not seen it switch to Atti momentarily.
Maybe so far i have just not been afflicted or the combination of IMU and Compass versions impacts this phenomenon.
I didn't see anything in the release notes to suggest anything else had been addressed expect adding the way points for all, as i already have this there is no obvious reason to go to 5.26 for me.
Cheshirecat, I am in the same boat as you. I have been flying 5.24 in GPS mode extensively the past 2-3 weeks and haven't observed this either. (Same configuration as you, but on an S800.) It does sound like it's hit or miss who this affects.