WARNING - Firmware 5.24

MORE DOWN TIME!

Just roll back unit; a fix is released and forget the App for now..

Dave

Hi Droider, I just bought an S800 EVO, did one successful test flight and am now waiting for a V2 IMU to be delivered.
I assume (haven't checked yet :) I'm running 5.24. Do you think I could "rolling back" to a previous firmware?
Seems like it would be the sensible thing to do until this issue gets sorted.

Another thing, I am confused by IMU V2 and GPS V2 - are they the same thing?

Many thanks,

Louis

ddikie

Well managed to get hold of an IMU V2 and some spare arms so will give it another go and see where we stand..As i did my install when 5.24 was released it automatically upgraded me..is there anyway to go back to an earlier version even if you did not install it initially?

Well managed to get hold of an IMU V2 and some spare arms so will give it another go and see where we stand..As i did my install when 5.24 was released it automatically upgraded me..is there anyway to go back to an earlier version even if you did not install it initially?

Hi d****ie, sorry about your crash, what a nightmare! I'm in the same boat with my S800 EVO, I did my install when 5.24 was released and it automatically upgraded me. I'm wondering if I can roll back to something earlier..

I had one test flight , took off in ATTI mode, then changed to GPS mode, no problems. Was I just lucky, and the next time it will come crashing down?
http://youtu.be/wv71GnymY5g

ddikie

Well as i said i managed to get hold of the IMU is just comes in a plastic bag no protection at all just like a regular part so hope it was not bashed about in shipping..also had to get a 2nd S800 - EVO kit as there are no spare props on the market yet..so dont break anything once you get your V2 installed..take care

Hi d****ie, sorry about your crash, what a nightmare! I'm in the same boat with my S800 EVO, I did my install when 5.24 was released and it automatically upgraded me. I'm wondering if I can roll back to something earlier..

I had one test flight , took off in ATTI mode, then changed to GPS mode, no problems. Was I just lucky, and the next time it will come crashing down?
http://youtu.be/wv71GnymY5g
Louis, I would recommend you check out for yourself if your WKM is switching out of GPS mode as Dave is seeing. I wouldn't say your lucky. Yes, there are apparently several people this is happening to, but not everyone. I upgraded to 5.24 and have v1 IMU and V2 GPS and haven't had a single problem with it. Just be careful so that if it does switch out of GPS into Attitude mode that you are ready.

As for your versions question...
IMU v1 is in a plastic case, and IMU v2 is in an aluminum case. It sounds like you have v1 and are upgrading.
The GPS has the version printed on it if its a V2, and nothing if its v1. You more than likely have V2 as that what has been sold for about 10-12 months now.

Well as i said i managed to get hold of the IMU is just comes in a plastic bag no protection at all just like a regular part so hope it was not bashed about in shipping..also had to get a 2nd S800 - EVO kit as there are no spare props on the market yet..so dont break anything once you get your V2 installed..take care

I just got my IMU, also in a plastic bag.
Here are the settings I used (with the old IMU)

Gains:
120, 120, 130, 130, 160, 160
130, 130, 150, 150, 180, 180

Voltage Protection:
22.80 -1.00 = 21.80
21.00 -1.00 = 20.00

GPS: X= 0, Y= -7, Z= -22
IMU: X = -8, Y= 0, Z= -7

Check your GPS settings, they're quite different to mine?
IMU: Is it near the battery, or on the centre frame?
GPS: Z=-15. Hmm, my figure is -22, and I'm using the shortest pole that came with it. With my 10,200Mah battery and my Photohigher gimble and camera, my Z COG is quite low, which is why I have -22.

Where is your Z COG? should be somewhere below the centre plate?

Cheers,
Louis

DennyR

Dave
I don't suppose you are using a 2.4 gig video Tx. by chance along with the V2 IMU/OSD.... That could be the problem. I don't fly anything AP on 2.4 these days. Only UHF. WiFi on a GoPro will bring a phantom down for sure. But that is a crappy radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddikie

Is this correct for any postion on earth..ie i live in dubai so apart from time difference measurement data would be the same?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Dave
I don't suppose you are using a 2.4 gig video Tx. by chance along with the V2 IMU/OSD.... That could be the problem. I don't fly anything AP on 2.4 these days. Only UHF. WiFi on a GoPro will bring a phantom down for sure. But that is a crappy radio.

denny,

it's been tossed around a bunch here and there but since you brought it up, 2.4 ghz video is safe with UHF systems piggy backed on 2.4ghz RC systems? I understand the RC isn't using 2.4 ghz but it's all compatible? the 2.4 ghz video improves long range and non-line-of-site use, no?

thanks,
bart

Bartman

If you are considering alternatives why not use Naza M?

Hoverfly PRO works awesome when I'm in close, especially hand flying and doing video. MK does GPS almost as well as NAZA (I'd say it's as good but you have to learn to tune the gain with your radio slider while you're flying) but I"m moving towards greater-endurance autonomous waypoints flying for commercial applications and MK doesn't require internet access in the field or a continuous ground station link as the others do. MK also has little extras like LED control which I admit I love having available as goofy as that sounds. Altitude hold is improved with latest FC add-on and the new Afro I2c ESC's should resolve MK's one main weakness which has always been their speed controllers.

I'm still ready to try anything up to and including the new SuperX from Xaircraft (did I just say that?).

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nope same video tx as I have always used.

Thanks for the thoughts though... keep um coming. I just had a long conversation with someone very experienced with DJI stuff about the same issue so I knopw its not just me being dumb!

DAve

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Bart just go WKM. I know I am questioning the latest firmware here but apart from that for me with a multitude of CAA registered craft its a no brainier.

Naza V2 seems a good second but it would cost me a fortune to go down any other route then WKM.. Just hope they see this and work on a fix. Its only a minor inconvenience not to have iPhone/iPad connection.... oh and not to be able to fly in Tiananmen Square!

Hoverfly PRO works awesome when I'm in close, especially hand flying and doing video. MK does GPS almost as well as NAZA (I'd say it's as good but you have to learn to tune the gain with your radio slider while you're flying) but I"m moving towards greater-endurance autonomous waypoints flying for commercial applications and MK doesn't require internet access in the field or a continuous ground station link as the others do. MK also has little extras like LED control which I admit I love having available as goofy as that sounds. Altitude hold is improved with latest FC add-on and the new Afro I2c ESC's should resolve MK's one main weakness which has always been their speed controllers.

I'm still ready to try anything up to and including the new SuperX from Xaircraft (did I just say that?).

DennyR

denny,

it's been tossed around a bunch here and there but since you brought it up, 2.4 ghz video is safe with UHF systems piggy backed on 2.4ghz RC systems? I understand the RC isn't using 2.4 ghz but it's all compatible? the 2.4 ghz video improves long range and non-line-of-site use, no?

thanks,
bart

The first thing to remember is that the Video Tx should as far away from all other stuff as possible. It could reduce your range by 50% Also never power the TX/Camera unit with a direct line from the battery. It will have noise on the line from the ESC's.

For LRS I use 1.2 gig with clover leaf on the model and a circular polarized ant. on the Rx. station. Lawmate is good stuff. Ready Made RC for the 11.5 Db circular Polarized ant. A high power video Tx will not improve your range by much and it will kill your endurance, but a high gain Rx ant. will improve range significantly.

Never use the rubber duck ant. and never turn it on without the ant. in place.

If you are not going too far out then I would Use 5.8 gig. and for that I use Yellow Jacket with their diversity Rx. One ant. is a Vitenna which is about 8 Db. it will work well close in. The other is a home made circular directional high gain ant. As I expect you know the Db performance is directly proportional to the angle of coverage. 5.8 is better than 2.4 because it is smaller and lighter. But it is only line of sight. Not much interference and gives clean video. Poor range and lots of multipathing just like 2.4

I would not touch 2.4 as it is too bulky and your RC tx can interfere with the picture quality. The Dragon Link site has some useful info on it. The Dragon Link is a first class product that I would recommend. Knowing the downfalls of 2.4 gig systems I would not fly in urban areas with any 2.4 gig radio system. Either on the FC or the video system. If for example, you want to fly at low level along a stream surrounded by trees, you could find yourself in failsafe at any time if your set-up is not perfect.

I use a cheap 50 dollar Turdigy 9x with a Smarty Pants board and ER9X firmware and a Dragon Link so it is not expensive to do. ER9X is a very configurable system that would cost 4x from one of the majors. That is what I use Bart, so I hope that helps.

The first thing to remember is that the Video Tx should as far away from all other stuff as possible. It could reduce your range by 50% Also never power the TX/Camera unit with a direct line from the battery. It will have noise on the line from the ESC's.

For LRS I use 1.2 gig with clover leaf on the model and a circular polarized ant. on the Rx. station. Lawmate is good stuff. Ready Made RC for the 11.5 Db circular Polarized ant. A high power video Tx will not improve your range by much and it will kill your endurance, but a high gain ant. will improve range significantly.

Never use the rubber duck ant. and never turn it on without the ant. in place.

If you are not going too far out then I would Use 5.8 gig. and for that I use Yellow Jacket with their diversity Rx. One ant. is a Vitenna which is about 8 Db. it will work well close in. The other is a home made circular directional high gain ant. As I expect you know the Db performance is directly proportional to the angle of coverage. 5.8 is better than 2.4 because it is smaller and lighter. But it is only line of sight. Not much interference and gives clean video. Poor range and lots of multipathing just like 2.4

I would not touch 2.4 as it is too bulky and your RC tx can interfere with the picture quality. The Dragon Link site has some useful info on it. The Dragon Link is a first class product that I would recommend. Knowing the downfalls of 2.4 gig systems I would not fly in urban areas with any 2.4 gig radio system. Either on the FC or the video system. If for example, you want to fly at low level along a stream surrounded by trees, you could find yourself in failsafe at any time if your set-up is not perfect.

I use a cheap 50 dollar Turdigy 9x with a Smarty Pants board and ER9X firmware and a Dragon Link so it is not expensive to do. ER9X is a very configurable system that would cost 4x from one of the majors. That is what I use Bart, so I hope that helps.

Bart, Denny, as usual, has some great build guidelines that would be a shame to have buried in this one thread. Can we find a home for some stuff like this, maybe under the Beginners Lounge, or the Multirotor Build thread? But a standalone post.

Bartman

sure, copy/paste it into a new thread and we'll try to maintain some continuity over there. it seems that that new area is really working out for a lot of folks trying to figure this stuff out.

when Denny replied I was already in the process of purchasing ImmersionRC UHF and 1.3ghz FPV stuff for a new build. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. It's for a forestry mapping project in Laos that I'm providing the heli (an XY8 naturally :) ) for.

Bart

sure, copy/paste it into a new thread and we'll try to maintain some continuity over there. it seems that that new area is really working out for a lot of folks trying to figure this stuff out.
when Denny replied I was already in the process of purchasing ImmersionRC UHF and 1.3ghz FPV stuff for a new build. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. It's for a forestry mapping project in Laos that I'm providing the heli (an XY8 naturally :) ) for.
Bart
Denny, would you like to do the honors? That way you get credit for your brilliant ideas and insight into MR building. ;)

DennyR

Wow..... Bartman you shock me...... :shame:

Why not? Get em to sponsor an FPV comp. 3 mins of your most spectacular/creative clips edited into one, all shot with the goggles on (One man op. No second pilot and fixed camera angles.):highly_amused:

Sponsor does the judging...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
WKM FIRMWARE 5.24 THREAD!

Sorry chaps I dont care about flaming video issues or long range uhf stuff legally we can't use it in the UK anyhow. so please thoughts on what is affecting the blooming GPS on the latest firmware.

On that matter I just flew my oldest WKM, one of the first with GPS V1 for 6 packs in GPS mode while showing a beginner the ropes and it did not once go to atti!

Yet last night filming spuds my Y6 would hardly hold GSP for more than 30 seconds with 9 satellites

Dave

saidquad

I have the same problem with 5.24 and GPS hold. I have tested this both on my quad and my s800 using WKM. What version of firmware is suggested to go back to for more stable GPS hold?