View and Waypoint pricing is posted

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
On the minisite at... http://www.dji-innovations.com/minisite/index_en.html

For view you need either the 2.4 gHz or 900 mHz data link ($400 and $550) and the activation for view is included.

For single waypoint capability you need the items above PLUS the waypoint activation for an additional $1200. For a single waypoint capability that's far too much $, especially when I get multiple waypoints for free in the Mikrokopter platform. If the price were lower and it included more than a single waypoint capability I might consider it, but that much $ for such limited capability is not going to be a big seller IMO.

Since the WKM already has RTH built in I see no real advantage to the click and go waypoint other than to be really lazy and just use the computer to do the flying. I think the View might be a worthwhile add-on to get a ground control station that does... "WKM View will display 3D map, monitor attitude, coordinate, speed and angle of aircraft, monitor signal quality of wireless data link module and power voltage for you." Still a bit pricey for just a datalink with some software though, maybe I'll wait for the first or second price reduction before I jump in this time.

Ken

FlyEYE

I'll agree that an additional 1600-1750$ is excessive for that ability, however they likely aren't marketing this to the typical hobbyist which is a shame.
Funny, it makes MK looks cheap now.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
In money terms maybe but in freekin time spent trying to get it working correctly and all the headaches its CHEAP!.. Ill be waiting for the reviews first.. BUT so far I cannot fault my DJI/WMK-M experience...

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'll agree that an additional 1600-1750$ is excessive for that ability, however they likely aren't marketing this to the typical hobbyist which is a shame.

To be honest I don't see many places where it fits at all. Anyone doing serious APV is more likely to be flying line of sight or FPV without using position hold/waypoint so while the View option could have some usefulness the click and go/waypoint isn't likely to find a home in that market. It's too expensive for probably 98% of the hobbyist market and of limited usefulness even if you do have the $. Only place I can see where it might make sense is for aerial mapping and limited search and rescue uses, not much else beyond that.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I dont get this which unit module is actually place on the Copter for the data link ? The images shown is the basestation unit or ?

Do I see this right that WKM is not really FPV friendly getting WKM view on OSD ?

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe that redundancy is more important than features. For that money I can buy a second unit and have it ready for when I crash on a paying gig. And in search for the perfect shot, I will crash.
As for telemetry a cheap unit that mounts on you tx from hobbyking is much more useful than looking for your netbook monitor.

I think they confuced multicopter market with the helicopter one.

The first company to make waypoints useful for aerial cine will make a killing. Having truly smooth, repeatable flight paths that could be flown on demand with the ability to quickly and dynamically change single variables like the speed or altitude is a directors dream for auto running shots. I think the potential is there for these things to become essentially limitless motion control rigs as the technology advances.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The first company to make waypoints useful for aerial cine will make a killing. Having truly smooth, repeatable flight paths that could be flown on demand with the ability to quickly and dynamically change single variables like the speed or altitude is a directors dream for auto running shots. I think the potential is there for these things to become essentially limitless motion control rigs as the technology advances.

Got agree there...

Dave

Tahoe Ed

I would like to have the input of those that have MK's. I have one also but have not used waypoints. What I see is the ability to do circular patterns around a point and parallel patterns on a field. What is your experience?

I agree on the smooth repeatable flight paths, but this new DJI upgrade is just ONE, 1, single aerial point. You must be talking about the not yet released waypoint upgrade.

http://www.heliguy.com/Extras/DJI-Autopilot/DJI-WK-M-Waypoint/

Lets not forget that we are getting close to the costs of renting a real helicopter for the shot. So keep this in mind.

Actually, I was not talking about DJI in particular. I'm talking about anybody. :D And true the costs are a factor but I don't see this as a replacement for full-size ops- i see it as a totally different, far more intimate category of AC. One that would be perfectly suited for precision waypoint flying for complex moves requiring multiple takes.

I don't have any DJI gear at this point so candidly I'm hoping MK refines their software to simply improve on what they already offer. Ed, a few of the biggest issues I've seen with the current MK waypoint routing is that the transitions at each waypoint are far too rough and abrupt. We need the ability to add variable smoothing (like a vector curve or expo) and be able to cluster many waypoints for high resolution moves. Using the car running shot example again, think of a tight S curve and the points that would need to be set to route the machine properly. The rough foundation is in place. We need just a bit more precision and finesse.