Mikrokopter WOW! So Judge This

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Determined to fix much weirdness with the way my MK AD6 was flying I pulled all of the electronics off of it last night and started by rebuilding the PDB without provision for the I2C isolator board, the BLs are now wired direct to C and D connections and the long servo wire leads are gone as is the isolator board from the stack. From there I put it all back together removing any unneeded wires and connection points, added longer standoffs to space the boards out a bit more vertically, and then zero'd the F/C memory and started rebuilding from a default setup. While I was at it tried out different props to see which worked the best and much to my unhappiness they proved to be APC 11 x 4.7, couldn't get it as happily stable with the Graupners.

Keep incrementally increasing the PIDs for the gyro until I had it pretty darn solid in the gusty wind blowing this afternoon, not as good as the WKM can do but WAY better than the AD6 has been of late. Also have it stripped down to just the basic frame and landing gear with dome over the stack, no camera mount and just a single battery. Actually too light for the big Pulso motors, it's hovering a bit below half stick. By late afternoon I had it improved to the point that I thought that's as good as it's ever been and as good as it's going to get. Then I saw the video at the beginning of this thread, hmmm...

After some cogitation and a bite to eat I popped the dome off, removed the Xbee, and hooked up the netbook direct to the Navi board. Took a deep breath as I fired up MKtool and clicked into terminal to start loading software, started with the Navi, no problem, then Mag which for once went all the way through no problem, and the the F/C that choked around 65% and exited with a CRC error. Ok, hope it didn't brick the board, try again, this time it completed and everything looked good. Closed Mktool and fired up the new version, immediately got error lights, bad compass error. Time to visit MK.DE to figure out this weird new calibration routine, watched Holger do it twice, still fuzzy, then read the step by step underneath in understandable English, Ahhhh...

All green lights after spinning the Mk in the air in front of me a few times, grab a batt fresh off the charger, out to the front yard to fly by street lights and the red LED strip on the front boom. A little strangeness, altitude hold won't and everytime I click the switch for it the Mk does a 45 degree turn to the right. Otherwise not bad, GPS seems to be better but somethin ain't right. Back in, reconnect the netbook and find I somehow set Poti 1 for the value of YAW I in gyro. Poti 1 is also the switch for altitude hold, no wonder it did strange things when I turned it on! Lower the min gas setting and back outside, plug in, GPS lock, start motors, liftoff.

WOW!!! BIG difference! Arrow straight, no yawing at all unless I move the stick, never done that since day 1, always been a bit twitchy on yaw. GPS hold still not as good as WKM but way better than it ever has been on this ship, may have partly been because I didn't take it up all that far in the dark and was getting some ground effect and also next to the driveway with cars parked may have tweaked the magnetic field readings and caused it to be a bit unsteady as a result. In any case the new release of .86 seems to have gotten it right this time, works really well from the little I've seen out front in the dark, have to wait for daylight and hope the expected rain holds off long enough to get a good flight in when I can see what its doing up there!

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ken what Alt hold you using Vario or fixed?

I am so glad it did it.. I was mucking around for ages with 84 trying to get her stable so thought bugger it I may as welltry the newun..

Guess the WKM has relit the fire under MK's bum!

Dave

J.T.

Spiralling out of control
Same result here Dave, new firmware, rock solid PH. Very pleased so far.

J.T.

No changes except lowered the GPS gain a tad on my 50cm quad. On the 40cm quad all stock setting. They are both flying better than ever. Trouble is there is like 0 wind here at the moment which is as you know not the norm.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just been out in wind.. not bad but I think it could be better.. getting the jitters worse on my ADX3 standard.. not as pronounced on my ADX3 HL.. I will post a video and see if anyone can suggest which setting to tweak

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Just got a chance to give it a go in daylight, completely different machine! I'm using vario A/H and in dead calm air it flys very much like the WKM on default settings. I suspect though that the MK is going to suffer the same problems as the WKM in gusty wind, it will twitch and wobble as the GPS fights to make it stay in the same spot. The fix on the WKM is to soften the settings so the GPS isn't quite so aggressive which negates what the firmware is trying to do. It is possible to find a balance between stability and position hold, just takes patience and a lot of trial and error. For now I'll have to wait for some windy weather which shouldn't take long around here, then I'll be able to get a handle on how it performs in wind. In the mean time I think I'll put one of the AV 130 under it and see what the improvement is from the camera point of view.

Ken

crcr

Dave,

After updating the firmware to .86x, I'm guessing it resets everything to default? are you saying you left everythinig at default and it flys great right off the bat?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave,

After updating the firmware to .86x, I'm guessing it resets everything to default? are you saying you left everythinig at default and it flys great right off the bat?

Yep.. changed nothing. Its a different matterin gust wind though.. Will post video in a bit. Its just uploading.. Its still bette than it was.. DONT try and import your old settings from 84. Just input them manually in to the new MK tools .76.

http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Firmware-0.86

crcr

Thanks Dave,
So please correct me if I'm wrong, but the only settings I need to worry about transfering from .84 would be:
the motor configuration
channel assignments/poti's
min gas settings
Height control mode
camera/LED settings
Any others?

J.T.

You have to reselect your receiver as it seems to default to the Graupner Hott system.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
New Video.. some suggestions which parameter to tweak would be appreciated

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Dave,whereabouts are you flying from tonight?conditions look great.I`ll look out for you or you ADX3.

ovdt

Hey Dave,

I'm working extensively on the settings. So here my suggestions:

You can start by increasing GPS-Acc. Normally it's set to 0. The higher value means, faster response of the GPS to the movements. (First try 2, then 4, then 6 and finally 8. )

ACC/Gyro Comp: Increase this step by step to see if it holds against the wind better.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Cheers ovdt..

I just remembered the gut who built my origional Y6 posted th whole settings..
step one :
you should have soldered the adress exactly the same as the controller that came of it , do NOT solder the adresses what the distribution board says.
simply because the Y3 has 2 engines on one boom so all adresses are different , otherwise you would have a spaggeti of cables.
i hope you kept a backup of the mixer...... when you flashed it.

2 . check all boards singe not as a whole unit.
3. salt water your basicly screwed , normaly if this happens put them in destilated water , rinse them , dry them and if your lucky they work.
same goes for the distribution board.

engines set left boom : up1 down 6
right boom:up3 down 2
aft boom up5 down 4

MKM: Y3

[Info]
Name=HLE-x3
Version=1
[Gas]
Motor1=64
Motor2=74
Motor3=64