Waypoint flight

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I have looked all over and cannot find any other threads on this subject. Maybe nobody else does it. The 'english translations' on the MK wiki have not shed much light on it all.

I definitely want to implement pre-programmed waypoint flight function at some stage for its creative possibilities - sooner rather than later - but have absolutely no clue where one is supposed to start. I have the functioning MK Octo and its role is to be test bed for all new firmware releases and experiments in general before they are passed on to the DW 8-HL but where does one start with this waypoint stuff? I watch ole Holger's vids and it all looks great and everything but how the hell is it done? Is there some extra gear to buy or is it just two paired bluetooth modules and a PC running KopterTool an' off yer go?

Where does the computer get the map from? Is the normal Tx involved at all or is it the computer controlling/flying the MRC?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have looked all over and cannot find any other threads on this subject. Maybe nobody else does it. The 'english translations' on the MK wiki have not shed much light on it all.

I definitely want to implement pre-programmed waypoint flight function at some stage for its creative possibilities - sooner rather than later - but have absolutely no clue where one is supposed to start. I have the functioning MK Octo and its role is to be test bed for all new firmware releases and experiments in general before they are passed on to the DW 8-HL but where does one start with this waypoint stuff? I watch ole Holger's vids and it all looks great and everything but how the hell is it done? Is there some extra gear to buy or is it just two paired bluetooth modules and a PC running KopterTool an' off yer go?

Where does the computer get the map from? Is the normal Tx involved at all or is it the computer controlling/flying the MRC?

It's not very difficult but you will need the tool that converts a Google earth map into one with GPS coordinates in it to use in the OSD screen of MKtool, it's how you translate points into coordinates that the GPS understands. I have a write up on how to do it somewhere in the terrabyte and a half of archived files I keep, let me see if I can dig it up...

OK, found some of what I was looking for...

The first thing you'll need is this, the tool that takes a Google Earth image and inserts GPS coordinates for use in MKtool OSD. The download link is down in the lower right corner.. http://translate.google.com/transla...SID=449d4d1aec224e60458541c33df9321e#msg13608

Once you have that installed, watch this video and it will take you through how to create the map and then how to use it to set waypoints for the MK to use... http://vimeo.com/13831806

The first time you use waypoints you may want to set one or two two fairly close to the takeoff point just to make sure everything is working correctly. I did one the first time keeping my finger on the GPS switch so I could kill the route if it appeared to be heading off for parts unknown. I'll say this, it's a really strange feeling to flip that switch and watch your Mk go flying off on it's own for the first time, and hitting come home afterward is just as bad. Once you've done the first one and seen it work it gets a little less stressful knowing it's going to do what you want it to.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks a lot Ken,

Having loaded a map into MKTool and messed around setting waypoints, saving the route, loading the saved route, sending the route to the NC or receiving from the NC, the one thing that is not very well explained is how to actually initiate a waypoint flight. I understand that the GPS switch has to be in the ComeHome position and, if a POI is integrated into the route map, the CareFree switch has to be on, but how does the flight commence?

When the MK is plugged into the computer there is a button labelled "Commence Flight" (or something like that), but that is obviously impractical with a USB cable attached. Therefore, presumably, this is where the bluetooth boards are used to maintain the direct contact between the MK and the computer. However, I think the transmitter still has cancel capability with the GPS switch to Free and back to CH - in which case the MK returns to the start position - or back to Free for resuming normal manual flight.

But is there no way to initiate the flight WITHOUT a computer directly linked via bluetooth, ie. with just the MK (with the route pre-loaded into the NC) and your transmitter?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks a lot Ken,

Having loaded a map into MKTool and messed around setting waypoints, saving the route, loading the saved route, sending the route to the NC or receiving from the NC, the one thing that is not very well explained is how to actually initiate a waypoint flight. I understand that the GPS switch has to be in the ComeHome position and, if a POI is integrated into the route map, the CareFree switch has to be on, but how does the flight commence?

When the MK is plugged into the computer there is a button labelled "Commence Flight" (or something like that), but that is obviously impractical with a USB cable attached. Therefore, presumably, this is where the bluetooth boards are used to maintain the direct contact between the MK and the computer. However, I think the transmitter still has cancel capability with the GPS switch to Free and back to CH - in which case the MK returns to the start position - or back to Free for resuming normal manual flight.

But is there no way to initiate the flight WITHOUT a computer directly linked via bluetooth, ie. with just the MK (with the route pre-loaded into the NC) and your transmitter?

Yes, once the route is loaded take off with GPS switch in the off or free position, as soon as you move the switch to come home the route starts. If you move the switch off the come home position it cancels the route and it cannot be restarted without reloading the coordinates, basically starting all over again. I usually create the route, send it to the MK over wireless connection, then set the MK where I want to take off from. Get it in the air to the altitude you want and set altitude hold and when you're ready set come home and off it goes. I always make the last point in the route at or close to the take off position so all that needs to be done at the end is switch to position hold from come home and bring it down. If you're really daring you can have the MK autoland at the end of the route, I prefer to bring it down myself.

If you want in-flight connection between the OSD screen and the MK the XBee modules are the way to go, bluetooth range is limited and the quality of the connection at a distance is marginal at best. Once in the air all you can do really is monitor the flight, don't try changing anything because you never know what the end result will be.

Ken

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks once again.

Well that all sounds pretty easy. We will see if it it is going to be :upset: or :02.47-tranquillity:

I see there is a new word in there ... XBee. Never heard of it. Is that a 'buy, plug in and use' item or a solder tiny bits kit?

Presumably the 'marginal' bluetooth would be adequate for wirelessly shooting the route back over to the MK once the journey is complete or aborted - since it should be back at base by then. Better than removing the cover and fiddling around with the USB cable. I cannot see a need for constant real-time access to change the flight plan en route. As you say, that would be asking for trouble. Better to come back, reload and start again.

Although that would not be good enough to support the POI feature which, if I have understood correctly, I think requires constant data exchange with the computer. Not sure why since the designated POI spot for the camera to be trained upon is just another coordinate.

Hmm, so, Xbee it is then.