Understanding Lithium Polymer batteries

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Excellent write up! I am just getting back into this and all the "new" battery information is still a bit overwhelming but I am getting there....I think :) Thanks again!

Answering your question

Exactly, I mean mΩ. 7.2 mΩ is the numerical value you have written down in your example. Gee you must pulling my leg as I know that you are an electrical engineer,,,, ?

When you say milliohms do you mean 0.0072 ohms from the above example?

coreyperez

Rule of thumb:

Good charger with external power supply...

Double charging ports...

Charging not more than with 1C...

LiPo's will thank you with a long life....

Chris

LOL.....

Chris (and other's). So, with this, do you have any charger recommendations? I'm new to Lipo's and don't mind spending more for longevity and savings in the long run.

Corey

cbpagent72

Chris (and other's). So, with this, do you have any charger recommendations? I'm new to Lipo's and don't mind spending more for longevity and savings in the long run.

Corey

Depending on the size and quantity of batteries that you have either one of these Hyperion chargers will work great. I have both of them and they have pretty much all of the bells and whistles:

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos7...55.html?sess=5ccda36a55bdd4591256c3211fdae30f

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos-...44.html?sess=5ccda36a55bdd4591256c3211fdae30f

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

A quality LiPo charger that measures voltage accurately so as to balance all cells accurately but also with the capability to also tell you the internal resistance of each cell is a must.

If you lose track of the number of batterry cycles, you need to know the internal resistance of each cell since these values most accurately provide you with an assessment of the battery chemistry health.

CdA D

There are Flight Logs on the internet to help keep track of those things if you choose to. It is recomended.

subpar

Awesome post Bartman! A lot to consume, expecially for a noob like myself. So let me get this correct. I'm running Nano-Tech 4S 6000mah 25-50C lipos. So let me see if I get this. according to your charging limit equation (Divide the capacity of 6000 mah by 1000 to get 6 and then multiple it by 50C), max charging current for this particular battery would be 300 amps? Is this correct?

Second question... I have the Passport Ultraforce 200w AC/DC charger. I can manually set the charge current between 0.1-10.0 amps. When balance charging what would be the optimal charge current given this specific battery?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Awesome post Bartman! A lot to consume, expecially for a noob like myself. So let me get this correct. I'm running Nano-Tech 4S 6000mah 25-50C lipos. So let me see if I get this. according to your charging limit equation (Divide the capacity of 6000 mah by 1000 to get 6 and then multiple it by 50C), max charging current for this particular battery would be 300 amps? Is this correct?

Second question... I have the Passport Ultraforce 200w AC/DC charger. I can manually set the charge current between 0.1-10.0 amps. When balance charging what would be the optimal charge current given this specific battery?

no no no no no no no no!

max charging rate should be indicated on the battery's label. some say 5C, 10C, whatever but usually charging at more than a 1 to 2C rate will shorten the life of the battery. i typically use 1.5C.

For my 6S 6000mah batteries i use

6000/1000=6 (this is the battery's Capacity)

a CHARGE rate of 1.5C would mean I'd need 6*1.5 amps or 9 Amps of current for the charge cycle.

You're thinking of the MAX DISCHARGE RATE which very well might be 20C, 50C, 100C, whatever, it depends on the battery and how it's made/rated. This isn't a Max Continuous rate either, it's a max rate for a set short period of time so you don't want to go designing systems that will pull continuously on your batteries at that max discharge rate.

For your 4S, 6000mah batteries I'd set the charger to a rate of 1C or (6000/1000)*1 or 6 amps.

Put another way, a 1C charge is the rate that will replenish the full capacity of the battery in one hour. batteries aren't typically fully drained (If they are then they're probably pretty well puffed also so charging them isn't a good idea at that point) so the 1C rate should charge them in less than an hour. 40 to 45 minutes is about normal for a recharge at a 1C rate.

Glad the tutorial helped. Keep the questions coming!

Bartman

Thanks Bartman... That cleared it up. Thanks again for your time and patience.

no problem, i should have put a smiley at the end of all the no's. :)

i'm short on patience lately, i need a fun-build and some nice weather to work out some stress!

jbrumberg

About year ago I got introduced to the world of RC through a Christmas gift which also meant that I got introduced to the world of Li+ batteries as well. I did extensive research on batteries and chargers ultimately resulting in the purchase of a "smart" charger (and other neat stuff) during my initial learning curve (which is still and will always be ongoing). The amount of information and the technical nature of this information was/is mind boggling. Having waded through all those countless tomes, I want to thank you for your "simpler" to understand, accurate, and concise handling of this topic. This thread will save a lot of people a lot of "head" work. Thanks. Jay

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Bart, this is a great resource. One of the first places I send aspiring noobs. If they can make it through page 1 of this thread and answer a few simple questions, they’re well on their way. LiPo batteries can be perplexing and dangerous, but they’re the best of what we have right now. Following your excellent guide, one can expect to operate these safely and effectively. Keep up the good work, and thank you. :)

Bartman

Bart, this is a great resource. One of the first places I send aspiring noobs. If they can make it through page 1 of this thread and answer a few simple questions, they’re well on their way. LiPo batteries can be perplexing and dangerous, but they’re the best of what we have right now. Following your excellent guide, one can expect to operate these safely and effectively. Keep up the good work, and thank you. :)

παρακαλώ!!