Mikrokopter Un-commanded Yaw Issue ! Someday's Mikrokopters Just Weren't Meant to Fly !

Spoke To Soon ! Someday's Mikrokopters Just Wern't Meant to Fly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizViz
Hi all, I removed the Futaba RX & PPM Converter & hooked up the Jeti system & Graupner MX-16 and no more loss of control issues.

Hi all, I posted this on RCG as well. Having thought I'd sorted out the un-commanded yaw issues by ditching the Futaba RX & PPM converter........guess what ? it's back ! So after spending quite a few hours trying to track down the problem my quad is in pieces again.......Someday's Mikrokopters Just Weren't Meant to Fly !

So here's what I swapped out
TX & RX swapped out to a Graupner MX-16 & Jeti Box
Changed back to V.084
Changed FC & back to V.086

So all's that's left is the BL's but which one ! Anyone got any ideas !

Cheers

Stu

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
stu
does the uncommanded yaw generally happen near the end of the flight? this yaw will happen when the battery power is low and the FC is near brown-out conditions when you're leveling off from a descent of just using the batteries beyond their normal time/capacity.
i also saw a lot of it with the I2c to PWM converter installed

stu
does the uncommanded yaw generally happen near the end of the flight? this yaw will happen when the battery power is low and the FC is near brown-out conditions when you're leveling off from a descent of just using the batteries beyond their normal time/capacity.
i also saw a lot of it with the I2c to PWM converter installed

Yes I thought about that too and put a fresh battery in too see if that might be the problem. Its so random and given that everything has been changed out except for motors & BL's its got to be one of those....but how to isolate it without risking another crash ?

Cheers

Stu

Crash

Defies Psychics
Yes I thought about that too and put a fresh battery in too see if that might be the problem. Its so random and given that everything has been changed out except for motors & BL's its got to be one of those....but how to isolate it without risking another crash ?

Cheers

Stu
Did you change the FC board? Round or square motor arms?

ovdt

I was having the same issue. Mine problem seems to be related with EMI. I'm going to share the details here:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?1301-Crash-after-0.86d-firmware-update

C
heck these details:

* After yawing, does the copter gets back to the previous heading position? Or does it continiously yaw?
* Does it yaw when you give gas?

My setup was yawing only when the nose of the craft is pointing west. It doesn't yaw when it's pointing east or south or north.

The only change I did was the camera mount. I changed the position of Lipo cable after this change. So I've reverted everything back. I haven't tested because of the rain.

The plot thickens ! after rebuilding my quad and going over & changing almost everything....it has been flying perfectly up until today ! Another un commanded yaw at about 30 metres...I was able to wrestle with the sticks to get it down safely but noticed on the Jeti Box Error 24 which is "A BL-Controller goes to the boundary line, either current or over temperature."
Now I know the BLC's are at around 40 degrees C so its got to be current or a fault in one or more of the BLC's so I'm going to change out each one....one at a time to see who the culprit is. I would like to say that Ben at BLIP here in Oz was very helpful over the phone and offered a few suggestions of where to look including making sure none of the cables under the board were intermittently touching the yaw gyro and to put a cover on the FC in case it was a heat problem caused by sunlight heating up the gyro.
In any case we will get to the bottom of it and post the eventual fix.

Cheers & thanks for all your input.

Stu

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
It sounds like BLs are reaching temp limit and starting to shut down.. can you record the fight data.

Dave

Guys, did you ever isolate what was causing your yaw problem? I'm having a similar issue but the yaws are usually subtle and only seem to happen in a hover (randomly) or when i feather to a stop from slow forward flight. The machine usually corrects itself after a few seconds. When I first built this machine it was bare with only one battery pack (TP6600 4S) and it flew perfectly- tracked dead straight and solid yaw hold. I've since added quite a bit of electronics and equipment to the frame and I'm also running two batts in parallel for longer flight times. I suspect my battery cables or some other power cable is to blame but it would be interesting to hear if you guys figured it out for your machines. Would slightly offset prop angles cause something like this?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
What is your set up?

Get a little compass and stick it on the copter and power it up with motors running.. see if it moves.. if it does you got magnetic interference.. there are some good videos explaing it all somewhere

My Yaw issues are totally BL temp related.. i an fine until my BLs get over 80ºc then they start shutting down.. only happened since new firmware. Got my copter in bits trying to sort it

Dave

Dave

It's a flat 8 configuration. 2.1ME flt-ctrl, 2.0 navi-ctrl, 2.0 bl-ctrl's and 2.1 GPS board. 86d firmware.

In my case I don't think ESC temps are causing these yaw's. All temps are below 35°C and everything is cool to the touch. I have seen the EMI videos on the MK site and it does seem like this is the likely cause. Maybe the way I have my dual batts in parallel is causing the trouble. Not sure I can shorten the cables up too much more, though. I've also routed the cables to the left side of the flt-ctrl away from the compass. An out of balance condition would not result in this behavior would it? It's pretty top heavy at the moment with no counterbalance weight under the frame as I await a camera gimbal. I'll be doing some tests this afternoon and see if I can isolate it.

IMG_0447.jpg

Problem Solved !

Hi all, my yaw issues dissapeared when I changed out BLC No 2 and resoldered all the caps on the other BLC's. Essentially I only once saw a error 24 on my Jeti RX and saw after power up on one occasion and before calibration that No 2 motor gave a few spurts. Have been puuting the quad through its paces and it hasn't missed a beat.

Cheers

Stu

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Maybe the way I have my dual batts in parallel is causing the trouble.

Try your batteries with the silver side down. My overlanders throgh more out from the top/borttom than the sides. It is demonstrated on one of the MK vids

Dave

@Stu.. glad you found the problem..

CPmotion

Hi Seatlle,

What lipo battery connectors are u using?

greetz
CP

It's a flat 8 configuration. 2.1ME flt-ctrl, 2.0 navi-ctrl, 2.0 bl-ctrl's and 2.1 GPS board. 86d firmware.

In my case I don't think ESC temps are causing these yaw's. All temps are below 35°C and everything is cool to the touch. I have seen the EMI videos on the MK site and it does seem like this is the likely cause. Maybe the way I have my dual batts in parallel is causing the trouble. Not sure I can shorten the cables up too much more, though. I've also routed the cables to the left side of the flt-ctrl away from the compass. An out of balance condition would not result in this behavior would it? It's pretty top heavy at the moment with no counterbalance weight under the frame as I await a camera gimbal. I'll be doing some tests this afternoon and see if I can isolate it.

IMG_0447.jpg

Those are Anderson Power Pole connectors. Highly reccomended.

Solved the yaw issue. It was not related to the batteries or wiring. I just needed to adjust my compass and yaw gyro settings in MKTool. In hindsight the real issue I think was that the default settings in MKTool are intended for ~2kg copters and not the 7kg I'm hauling around. Now it flies like it's on rails.

alexoki

Can you please tell us more about the changes that you made to the compass and yaw settings in mktools please? What values did you change from/to?