Wookong-M wind stability

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
It's taken a while to get things dialed in but I finally have the WKM hex pretty close to as good as it can be in windy conditions. I did the first one late yesterday and the other this morning in variable wind, getting much better overall though I probably wouldn't fly in winds too much heavier and expect to get decent raw video. Even so these could use a touch of post stabilization to be steady but I've never been able to get raw video this good from any multi prior to the WKM and there's still more tuning to be done once the new firmware arrives. Best viewed direct on Youtube @ 720p...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael64

Hey Ken you are doing it right for sure. I think you start the WKM with a Y-6 is this correct. If you did would you by chance be able to give me a good starting place with the setting you were using on it by chance. Not sure what size and weight yours was but mine is the Avroto motors 11x5 graupners and the WKM and the weight in the 7-8lbs range not finished yet but should be close according to equipment and plan to use two 4S 5000 packs as well.

Michael64

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey Ken you are doing it right for sure. I think you start the WKM with a Y-6 is this correct. If you did would you by chance be able to give me a good starting place with the setting you were using on it by chance. Not sure what size and weight yours was but mine is the Avroto motors 11x5 graupners and the WKM and the weight in the 7-8lbs range not finished yet but should be close according to equipment and plan to use two 4S 5000 packs as well.

Michael64

I never did get the Y6 very close to dialed in and I'm not sure the flat hex settings would apply. You might start with basic gains of 200% for pitch and roll, 250 for yaw and 200 for altitude. The Attitude gains need to go down, I'm currently around 70% and that's probably a bit too high still, haven't found the right spot yet and may not until the new firmware release. I've also slightly decreased the advanced settings for roll and pitch but I'm not convinced they really do much. That should at least get you something that flys half decent in ATTI mode, from there it's just a lot of trial and error to find what works for your setup.

Ken

Michael64

Thanks Ken at least I have a direction to go, by reading your post I know you have a good handle and trustworthy information to use. You sound like a person that likes to get things as good as you can and that takes work and time and you have put both in and it shows in your videos the last two I know its a flat hexa not a Y-6 but the raw video is fantastic for sure. Thanks again for helping out.

Michael64

Michael64

Forgot one question Ken do you still remove the red wire from the ESC's if you have the power module, mine come with the power module and the XT60 connectors not deans like I thought so have to get some of these but did not know about the red power wire to remove or not.

Michael64

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Forgot one question Ken do you still remove the red wire from the ESC's if you have the power module, mine come with the power module and the XT60 connectors not deans like I thought so have to get some of these but did not know about the red power wire to remove or not.

Michael64

You should remove the red wire if you use the power module. I received mine but haven't installed it yet, not having any heat problems with the BEC circuits on the ESCs so no rush. I want to do some rewiring when I do install it, probably save it for a rainly day project, or now that its October maybe a snowy day project!

Ken

UAVshop

Very nice Ken! Very stable!#

Look forward to seeing the change with the new update, although it's very good as it is!

Was that with the AV200 mount?

Alex

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Very nice Ken! Very stable!#

Look forward to seeing the change with the new update, although it's very good as it is!

Was that with the AV200 mount?

Alex

No, I have a pair of AV130, one old and one new, that I swap around between the WKM and Droidword MK hex.

Today I managed to get out and fly in open space with the WKM and Nex 5N for the first time, you can see the video here... http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?113-Show-what-you-filmed&p=11878&viewfull=1#post11878

Ken

Emowillcox

hi Ken I know I asked you a while back about which mount you prefer and wondered if your opinion on camera mounts has changed any in the last few weeks?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
hi Ken I know I asked you a while back about which mount you prefer and wondered if your opinion on camera mounts has changed any in the last few weeks?

Yes, it has. Quite a few things have changed over the last month or so since I got the WKM controller actually. After getting one of the newest Photohigher AV130 and using it on both my Droidworx AD6 and the WKM hex I have to say the latest version is the best camera mount currently on the market, the new one is vastly better than the old one I have with the Hyperion servos. I've been able to get video with the new one that is beyond anything I have been able to do with any other camera mount and when paired with the WKM controller I think it's an unbeatbale combination for aerial video.

Ken

Emowillcox

Hi Ken
I am glad I asked.. thanks for the response. I'm still looking hard at the DJI platform so I am happy to hear the av130 is working good with it. Have you tried plugging the av130 into the wookong board or you using the cc board to operate the camera mount? I am just trying to make an
educated decision on what I will need to get in order to get me on my way to making smooth video.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken
I am glad I asked.. thanks for the response. I'm still looking hard at the DJI platform so I am happy to hear the av130 is working good with it. Have you tried plugging the av130 into the wookong board or you using the cc board to operate the camera mount? I am just trying to make an
educated decision on what I will need to get in order to get me on my way to making smooth video.

The camera mount is being controlled by the WKM controller and power to the servos comes from a CC BEC Pro.

Ken

Emowillcox

Morning Ken... thanks for the explanation. I am seriously looking at the AV130 now per your recommendation, but wondered if you have a
preferred vendor? Also do you have a recommendation on where to shop for a WooKong?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Morning Ken... thanks for the explanation. I am seriously looking at the AV130 now per your recommendation, but wondered if you have a
preferred vendor? Also do you have a recommendation on where to shop for a WooKong?

No preferred vendor at the moment, the first one I got through Quadrocopter, the second one I got direct from Photohigher. You might want to consider DJI USA, they are the original DJI dealer for the US and they also carry the Photohigher mounts so you can have one stop shopping. If you just want to fly they can supply turnkey RTF builds, or get the bits and do it yourself, the WKM are really easy to setup nothing at all like building a Mikrokopter.

Ken

DennyR

DJI - Yeah quality stuff, a few hours to get your head around the differences. And some nice features. These guys know what they are doing alright.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The latest addition to the fleet, much smaller than the hex with AV130 mount and also better in the wind, I'll have some video I did with it today up on Youtube tomorrow...

DSC00314a.jpg

DSC00315a.jpg

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken nice looking rig.... that thing looks cool. Is that a RC carbon mount?

Yes, that is the RC Carbon landing gear and GoPro mount. Fairly light and the quad doesn't seem to have any problem lifting it, only thing I don't like is the servos that come on it, they're quite notchy and don't seem to have very fine resolution, it makes the video jump whenever they move. I found 4 different Savox servos that look like they'll fit without modifying anything so I'll be heading to the LHS later to get a pair.

Here's a video I made late yesterday using the Quad. I had to disable the roll servo because the twitching on both axis was giving me motion sickness watching...:distress:

You can see how much it jumps on the tilt axis and thats with the gain cranked way down, I think once the servos are replaced it will be a good mount for GoPro. The thing I like most is I can fly the quad into places I wouldn't dare try to fly the either of my bigger hex into. Where the video fades from one scene to another I got stuck trying to fly into the gap between the trees, the wind blowing outward kept pushing the quad backwards until I switched off the video flight mode on my TX and got better control response with less expo. The quad seems to handle the wind a lot better than the bigger and heavier hex...

Ken