The Ten Commandments of FPV

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
No doubt about it, FPV is fun and extremely useful for AP/AV. It's not that hard to get set-up also which has helped it catch on with thousands of RC fliers and drivers but there are relatively simple details that can keep it from working properly and if you're not aware of those details then you're in for some frustrating times ahead.
Here is a list of the details I've discovered. Let's get the ten most simple and common details that keep FPV equipment from working properly. I'll get it started and then add to the list as ideas are presented.

1. Know your cables and wires.
Cables are not wires and wires are not cables. Know what you're using when you're hooking things up or they may not work. Wires from your 1960's stereo system probably won't get the signal from your camera to the transmitter.
2. Do not let the power system batteries outlast the wireless Tx and Rx batteries.
5 km of wireless range means nothing if your goggles go blank as you're about to turn home. Make sure you have the power to see the ship back to home safely.
3. Know your equipment's plugs and jacks.
Let's say you have no choice but to make a custom cable for your equipment. It helps to recognize that there are multiple standards throughout the world for how certain plugs and jacks are wired. Multiple 3.5mm plugs in your system might not all be wired the same way. A multimeter can help you map out the plug's poles so you can make sure each stream of electrons goes to the proper place.
4. An antenna is not an antenna if it isn't the right antenna.
Just like everything else, just because it's an antenna on your equipment doesn't mean it's the best antenna for the job or even one that will work. Short range FPV with a car or boat has the lowest requirements for antennae. Long range with a plane that will be maneuvering beyond shallow bank turns requires specific antennae to provide steady and clear video reception. Do a little research and you'll find lots of options and plenty of explanations to make selection easy.

http://videoaerialsystems.com/how-to-choose-an-antenna/
5. Don't buy anything until you know what you're buying.
Ask questions, ask more questions, travel to Tibet and sit on a mountain while you ponder your FPV set-up, and when you get home, go ahead and start buying stuff.
6. As much as possible, keep FPV equipment separate from radio equipment and motor controllers.
Interference can limit range to practically nothing and it's really frustrating to troubleshoot. If you have the room, keep things separate.

I'm out of time for now. I'll sticky this thread and we'll make changes until it lives up to the thread title.

Thanks,
Bart

Buzzed

9 Make sure your TX battery (JR in my case) is fully charged BEFORE you fly. If for some reason you don't and you are lucky enough that it dies while the MK is on the ground and you decide to hold the bird down to re-boot and shut down the motors stay the hell away from the spinning props.

ctbon

@Macsgrafs...any suggestions? I ordered the Sony one (only one available at Quadrocopter.us) which has these specs:

Image Device:1/3" Sony *420/460TVL
Scanning System:NTSC:525 Lines.60 Field/Sec PAL: 625 Lines 50 Field/Sec
Video Output:1Vp-p 75ohm
White Balance:Auto
Gamma Characteristic:0.45
Minimum Illumination:0.8 Lux
Electronic Shutter :
Pal: 1/50~1/100,000s
NTSC:1/60~1/100,000s
Built-In Lens:3.6mm Pinhold Lens.
Power Consumption:12V+_10%DC,100mA
Operation Temperature:-10C~+50C
Storage Temperature:-20C~+60C
Dimension:20mmx20mmx16mm

decent camera or?

Macsgrafs

@Macsgrafs...any suggestions? I ordered the Sony one (only one available at Quadrocopter.us) which has these specs:

Image Device:1/3" Sony *420/460TVL
Scanning System:NTSC:525 Lines.60 Field/Sec PAL: 625 Lines 50 Field/Sec
Video Output:1Vp-p 75ohm
White Balance:Auto
Gamma Characteristic:0.45
Minimum Illumination:0.8 Lux
Electronic Shutter :
Pal: 1/50~1/100,000s
NTSC:1/60~1/100,000s
Built-In Lens:3.6mm Pinhold Lens.
Power Consumption:12V+_10%DC,100mA
Operation Temperature:-10C~+50C
Storage Temperature:-20C~+60C
Dimension:20mmx20mmx16mm

decent camera or?

Depends on what you want to do? I use a DX201, it's a pixim camera, which basically means EVERY pixel acts as a camera in its own right, so the ground wont go dark if more than the half the FOV is actually sky!

Look up "Rangevideo" & see what they have.

Ross

motors stay the hell away from the spinning props.

Not remembering the Golden 9 Rule has delivered me 12 stitches in my hand, and my pointing finger in a alu brace with 7 stitches, and 3 weeks no flying nor building ,stupid as{}}{}^ .:shame:
Yep these props are like a mad dog, it was only..... a 8x4 3blade prop running on 8000 rpm ,thank god it was not my tx that was hit :highly_amused:

Rule nr 8 does not apply here ,:shame:

Macsgrafs

Not remembering the Golden 9 Rule has delivered me 12 stitches in my hand, and my pointing finger in a alu brace with 7 stitches, and 3 weeks no flying nor building ,stupid as{}}{}^ .:shame:
Yep these props are like a mad dog, it was only..... a 8x4 3blade prop running on 8000 rpm ,thank god it was not my tx that was hit :highly_amused:

Rule nr 8 does not apply here ,:shame:

RULE 11: Stupidity does NOT have a place in FPV flying :)
Sorry TT.....hope your hand mends soon, nothing worse when you are sat there unable to fly & your mind is thinkign back to "Why the hell didI do that"?

Ross

RULE 11: Stupidity does NOT have a place in FPV flying :)
Sorry TT.....hope your hand mends soon, nothing worse when you are sat there unable to fly & your mind is thinkign back to "Why the hell didI do that"?

Ross

Your completely right "RULE 11: Stupidity does NOT have a place in FPV flying" Only that one is always lurking around the corner to take you by surprise .
Next time I kick here inn the Fire bin , this evil ......... :highly_amused:
My FPV goggles arrived to day from HK ,first imprecision not bad at all ,gone convert them in to a skiing mask ,now everything has arrived I can start converting my raptor in to a real FPV bird .
I am gone see if there is some space left over in my bed ,maybe I have to kick the dog out , its 10.12 PM over here on the other side of the pond .:frog:

Jules

Yep you can expect these photo's in a week or two .
I see we are almost "neighbor" Barnstaple Devon nice place, bin there on vacation several times , I am from Lommel Belgium .

Jules

Macsgrafs

Yep you can expect these photo's in a week or two .
I see we are almost "neighbor" Barnstaple Devon nice place, bin there on vacation several times , I am from Lommel Belgium .

Jules

Almost neighbours then Jules ;)
Hope you enjoyed our wonderful scenary here in North Devon, I bet the beach played a big part in your hols ;)

Ross

I agree , we enjoyed the most the long walks on the coastal hiking trails away from it all, and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery that you still have over there ,
Tintagel ,Mortehoe (they have a nice camp side) Ilfracombe , Clovelly,Lynmouth , half of the the Tarka Trail all the way to Minehead .
We are planing to return in the near future ......

Jules

Macsgrafs

I agree , we enjoyed the most the long walks on the coastal hiking trails away from it all, and enjoy the beautiful natural scenery that you still have over there ,
Tintagel ,Mortehoe (they have a nice camp side) Ilfracombe , Clovelly,Lynmouth , half of the the Tarka Trail all the way to Minehead .
We are planing to return in the near future ......

Jules

Aplogies for a slight drift off thread.
Jules you certainly know the area well & I also enjoy camping...Morethoe near Woolacombe is my favourite location...was it damage barton campsite I wonder ;)
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...=a.40449245790.73020.658455790&type=3&theater
Next time you come over, please let me know, would be nice to meet up & share some MR chit chat ;)

Regards
Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

( Easewell Farm Mortehoe they have also a Golf Resort on the other side of the road )

OK Ross invitation accepted !
Apologies from this side to, from now on no more of topic :shame:

Sheers
Jules

pasty

For me (I FPV alot) rule 1 should always be "Start Simple", the more complex you go from the start the higher the chance of failure, start with gogs, camera, vtx/vrx.... go fly and fly some more, then and only then start thinking about all all the added complexities that can be bolted onto an FPV ship.

Steve

jackmulti

May I post a brief comment on my noob experience, just on what I learned the hard way coming into this world?
13: When starting, keep it dead simple. Wait to use more technically challenging equipment.

cpmboy

lastly but not least......say a little prayer so that your bird come home in one piece and FPVing for another day........:)