The ALL New DJI S900 Hexacopter!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
So does this mean that the US customers are the lucky ones, whilst the rest of the world have to put up with scraping their cameras on the ground until DJI uses up the short leg stock before issuing EVERYBODY with the correct size?

tikigod19

So it applies to the gh4 and BMPCC gimbal versions too? It seems absolute madness that they wouldn't spot a design flaw like this..

soler

Just finished building mine and the only way to calibrate the gimbal is to pick it up due to the short landing gear. Did they never even test this???

Come on DJI you cannot address this only to US customers, All customers are effected by this.

econfly

The complex stuff I can see getting missed. I don't like it, but it might be arguable that cost and time to market could suffer with more controls or testing.

Landing gear too short for their own gimbals? Ridiculous. At this point people who preorder or buy first are just begging for problems. DJI sells some nice stuff. Just let somebody else test it before you buy.

flitelab

The complex stuff I can see getting missed. I don't like it, but it might be arguable that cost and time to market could suffer with more controls or testing.

Landing gear too short for their own gimbals? Ridiculous. At this point people who preorder or buy first are just begging for problems. DJI sells some nice stuff. Just let somebody else test it before you buy.

DJI seem to be too caught up in rushing things to market. The Lightbridge had similar issues with missing cables and issues with firmware. They need to slow down and do some QA and QC. Too many products being released too soon. Will be interesting where things go when Aligns new multis and gimbals hit the market.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi Benjamin,

Are you trying to get this one under 7Kg? If so how's it going?

Cheers
Pete

I'd like to know this too....

Hi chaps,

I do plan on keeping it under 7kg. It'll probably take an 8000mah lipo to do it.

I am taking my time with the build and have spend a lot of time braiding cables and making a really neat install. I'm still waiting for the GH4 gimbal so when that comes I will likely start test flying it.

Dave_EP

Hi chaps,

I do plan on keeping it under 7kg. It'll probably take an 8000mah lipo to do it.

I am taking my time with the build and have spend a lot of time braiding cables and making a really neat install. I'm still waiting for the GH4 gimbal so when that comes I will likely start test flying it.

Do you have a current weight with this battery but without the gimbal and GH4? Or even one fully built without the battery?

tikigod19

At the moment with the WKM and receiver installed it is 3.595kg (+/- 5g). This is without the lipos, gimbal or iOSD.
I have researched all of the figures before but now can't find my post.. So what would this make the weight with the iosd mkii and gh4 plus lens and z15?

Also, anybody tested with a sub 10,000mah lipo yet?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
A GH4 with battery and lens is 690g. The GH4 Zen is 1.26kg, but that will really be more like 1.36kg with the GCU and wiring. The iOSD MKii is 56g, more like 70g with wiring.

tikigod19

Thanks Ben. So 170 grams margin for error after you add a 8300mah lipo.. Enough to risk a purchase? I'd cry if it came in over / could only get 4 mins flight time!

Quinton

Thanks Ben. So 170 grams margin for error after you add a 8300mah lipo.. Enough to risk a purchase? I'd cry if it came in over / could only get 4 mins flight time!

Would you not be better actually doing your test through RPQ-S on the phantom, and sitting back for a while on the purchase.
I know that I made a lot of silly purchases to begin with and if you are looking to do it professionally its best not to rush into things.
Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I have heard if you do your flight test through RPQ-S on a machine that is under 7KG, (ie a phantom) then that covers you for any machine under that weight..is this correct?

Dave_EP

Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I have heard if you do your flight test through RPQ-S on a machine that is under 7KG, (ie a phantom) then that covers you for any machine under that weight..is this correct?

That is not correct. Your ops manual and flight test cover you only for the specific aircraft you specify and are tested on. Even if you bought a second phantom you need to be tested on it as well because they could have different settings / configurations.

Quinton

That is not correct. Your ops manual and flight test cover you only for the specific aircraft you specify and are tested on. Even if you bought a second phantom you need to be tested on it as well because they could have different settings / configurations.

OK I know that is the way it is with EuroUSC, but I have def heard people here on the forums that go through RPQ-S say that it covers you for the whole weight category.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Would you not be better actually doing your test through RPQ-S on the phantom, and sitting back for a while on the purchase.
I know that I made a lot of silly purchases to begin with and if you are looking to do it professionally its best not to rush into things.
Nay It has to be the same config. There are operators out there with a generic OM for MR's but I can't see that being accepted when they are next up for renewal. As for the S900 it aint ever going to be a sub7 machine. Well thats if you want a realistic flight time with a good power safety margin. There are other alternatives to the DJI offerings. It will be interesting to see what the CAA safetey case doc for >7kg machines will be. It will also be interesting to see how they treat machines with the potential to be <7KG but in reality have enough thrust to easily be classed as >7kg. DONT rush down the S900 thinking you will get it classed as a <7kg machine.
D