The ALL New DJI S900 Hexacopter!

Dave_EP

OK I know that is the way it is with EuroUSC, but I have def heard people here on the forums that go through RPQ-S say that it covers you for the whole weight category.

It's not EuroUSC or RPQ-S that give permission for aerial work - it's the CAA.

tikigod19

I'm booked for RPQ-s in Dec and I've been told I'd need to do a second flight exam for each multi rotor under 7kg that I want to be qualified on

tikigod19

Nay It has to be the same config. There are operators out there with a generic OM for MR's but I can't see that being accepted when they are next up for renewal. As for the S900 it aint ever going to be a sub7 machine. Well thats if you want a realistic flight time with a good power safety margin. There are other alternatives to the DJI offerings. It will be interesting to see what the CAA safetey case doc for >7kg machines will be. It will also be interesting to see how they treat machines with the potential to be <7KG but in reality have enough thrust to easily be classed as >7kg. DONT rush down the S900 thinking you will get it classed as a <7kg machine.
D
What would you call a realistic flight time though? I have a phantom now and if I go out to film something I find I have the shots I need in under 6 or 7 mins so end up having to fly around aggressively to discharge my lipo enough to store so as long as it's not unsafe a 6 or 7 min flight time would be ideal for me.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
What would you call a realistic flight time though? I have a phantom now and if I go out to film something I find I have the shots I need in under 6 or 7 mins so end up having to fly around aggressively to discharge my lipo enough to store so as long as it's not unsafe a 6 or 7 min flight time would be ideal for me.
Understanding lipo usage and flight times with a Phantom is a slightly different issue than flying a GH4/Zen/Epic/Movi machine than a Phantom. In reality 6/7 mins is adequate to get a choreographed shot. Why would you want to have a flight time of 10/15 mins for that. On another note when filming GV's of say a Castle then 15/20 min flight times are a bonus. There aint any one machine that can do everything.

D

tikigod19

But if you're filming a castle presumably you're not going to be in a built up area so can increase the pack size and go above 7kg but still be legal or have I misunderstood?

Dave_EP

But if you're filming a castle presumably you're not going to be in a built up area so can increase the pack size and go above 7kg but still be legal or have I misunderstood?

That would be my understanding too, through it may be that you also need to document both configurations in the ops manual and be flight tested appropriately.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ tlkigod19
So give me your safety case for a castle… now lets see.. Conway. (This is not the correct thread to continue this discussion so maybe a moderator could move it to the correct place) or if somebody wants to start an appropriate thread in the UK setcion of the forum

D

Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Think Dave may have something to say about the tower of London, it may just be in a built up area :)
If your machine is certified for >7kg then it is fine to go over/under 7KG..
I think there is hope for >7kg permissions, as long as you can prove it is safe reading the latest ARPAS newsletter, you may just have to stay under 200ft, instead of 400..hopefully anyway in the future.
I'm just not rushing anything at the moment, as it all seems to be changing very fast, lets see how it pans out over the next few months.

tikigod19

Think Dave may have something to say about the tower of London, it may just be in a built up area :)
If your machine is certified for >7kg then it is fine to go over/under 7KG..
I think there is hope for >7kg permissions, as long as you can prove it is safe reading the latest ARPAS newsletter, you may just have to stay under 200ft, instead of 400..hopefully anyway in the future.
I'm just not rushing anything at the moment, as it all seems to be changing very fast, lets see how it pans out over the next few months.
I'll look into whether the RPQ-s was specifically for sub 7kg crafts only, I didn't think it was so hoped a pass would see me good for both + and - 7kg. If not then I'll certainly need to wait and my whole plan changes!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I didn't want to be rude and ignore you, but I don't know what you are on about :)
@ tikigod19 no problem, but when you operate commercially you need to have a really strong safety case to operate safely to comply with your permissions for aerial work. If you are not operating commercially you still need to comply with your local regulations. In the UK it is 'If your planned flight is safe to carry out' or words to that effect. That should be the minimum standard anyone should adhere to before powering up them motors!

D

tikigod19

@ tikigod19 no problem, but when you operate commercially you need to have a really strong safety case to operate safely to comply with your permissions for aerial work. If you are not operating commercially you still need to comply with your local regulations. In the UK it is 'If your planned flight is safe to carry out' or words to that effect. That should be the minimum standard anyone should adhere to before powering up them motors!

D
Makes sense. I still have all of the fun theory to learn about in December but I wondered why you mentioned this in relation to Flying around a castle. If a castle is in the middle of nowhere and all precautions are taken as per my approved ops manual, won't it be OK to be over 7kg?!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Makes sense. I still have all of the fun theory to learn about in December but I wondered why you mentioned this in relation to Flying around a castle. If a castle is in the middle of nowhere and all precautions are taken as per my approved ops manual, won't it be OK to be over 7kg?!
Yep.
But there are Castles and Castles. Could you fly safely with a sub7 at Conway? Could you fly a >7kg at Conway?

D

tikigod19

The fact I hadn't heard of conway castle explains why your post made no sense.. After Google imaging it it seems it's next door to houses anyway so that'd mean sub 7kg. Anyway, slightly off topic but you get my point.. In an ideal world I'd be able to change the lipo to go sub 7kg only when I needed it (in my line of business hopefully rarely).

What's going to happen with the 7kg ruling in future is another thing now playing on the back of my mind..

Quinton

The fact I hadn't heard of conway castle explains why your post made no sense.. After Google imaging it it seems it's next door to houses anyway so that'd mean sub 7kg. Anyway, slightly off topic but you get my point.. In an ideal world I'd be able to change the lipo to go sub 7kg only when I needed it (in my line of business hopefully rarely).

What's going to happen with the 7kg ruling in future is another thing now playing on the back of my mind..

Well then you would have to pay £226 to the CAA for the >7KG machine, and another £113 for the <7KG machine (per year) that you have in your ops manual too, not to mention the other charges you will have for 2 flight tests.
Like I mentioned earlier to you,don't jump in too quickly..hang about here for a few months, at least get your PFAW, but things change all the time, you can be guaranteed that it will cost you money...who knows what's going to happen next year.

Ronan

How are you guys liking the S900? I'm thinking of snagging one with A2 and Z15 very soon (i would sell the Z15 right away, it seems the combo deal is cheaper with all 3).

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
How are you guys liking the S900? I'm thinking of snagging one with A2 and Z15 very soon (i would sell the Z15 right away, it seems the combo deal is cheaper with all 3).

Hmm. Maybe we should communicate!

I'm thinking along similar lines, except that I would keep the only good bit and throw away the crap - the airframe and the A2.

tikigod19

Well then you would have to pay £226 to the CAA for the >7KG machine, and another £113 for the <7KG machine (per year) that you have in your ops manual too, not to mention the other charges you will have for 2 flight tests.
Like I mentioned earlier to you,don't jump in too quickly..hang about here for a few months, at least get your PFAW, but things change all the time, you can be guaranteed that it will cost you money...who knows what's going to happen next year.
I think £113 a year plus the price of the flight assessment is worth it for any +7kg flyer to have a little phantom in the boot of their car as a backup machine.

Stratifier

Just about to make a choice between the S900 or S1000, I'm quite concerned about this question of < 7Kg or >7kg. What confuses me in this discussion is this note from the CAA: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014115.pdf . It seems to me to become easier to fly within 150m of congested area for a >7kg UAV . (Paragraphs 4.1 to 4.3) Once the safety case assessment is accepted by the CAA, should I understand that it will remain active and be a part of the 12 months permission?. Please somebody clarify , thanks.