Tarot 650 Build - Parts Are Arriving

Pumpkinguy

I'm skeptical as well. My high pitch hearing is not what it use to be. If it does not work out the $4.00 alarm goes into the junk box.

I'm also waiting on a box of goodies from HK China. Got a tracking number a week ago but it's not showing in the tracking yet so who knows.

AzViper

I'm also waiting on a box of goodies from HK China. Got a tracking number a week ago but it's not showing in the tracking yet so who knows.

Sure would be nice if HK USA stock some gear, very limited on what is stocked. Everything I was after comes from overseas. Batteries from USA, but I have yet to order them as I am really undecided on what I want and I am waiting to get a weight of the quad without batteries as this will help me in my decision.

Pumpkinguy

FYI, It looks like tattu usa is having a sale starting Monday.

Ya. Of a dozen items only a couple were in stock @ hk usa. I wasn't gonna make 2 orders. Awesome selection in china though.

AzViper

The waiting game sucks. I took the 650 frame a part and Loctite all the screws that I do not need to remove during final assembly. I also applied Loctite Blue 242 to the screws on the prop hubs. Blue Loctite is removable provided that the user does not use to much Loctite, otherwise a heat source will be needed to break the screws loose.

The STO quick change prop hubs are very precise. The lower hub fit onto the HDE motor like a glove while the upper hub screws onto the lower hub very nicely, threads nice and tight.

vZ4V8n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AzViper

While watching Arizona/Michigan Basketball game I drilled out the center hole so that the Naza mount for the GPS sat flat to the carbon fiber top deck. Using 4 small nylon TB wire ties I secured the mount. I then cut off the the ties and hot melted the ends of the ties so that they cannot pull through the ties. The GPS antenna will be mounted dead center of the quad and away from all electronics of which will be below the top plate. I suppose when I enter the data for the position of the GPS antenna in regards to the C.G. X will be zero and Y will be zero with Z being 120mm. The Naza FC will also be placed dead center of the quad below the antenna. The plan is to place the VTX antenna below the the quad.

The nylon standoff's are temporary while waiting for other standoffs to arrive.

R1Zanc.jpg

zn8wuB.jpg

f14Hsl.jpg

AzViper

You have a crazy amount of real estate there with the 3 centre plates.

Pump,

The ESC's will go one one level, electronics on another level, and the top level is reserved just for the GPS antenna. I have read a number of threads where to separate the electronics from the GPS. Also keep the VTX antenna away from the GPS as it will be mounted somewhere on the bottom. Most likely If I can find the room the TX will not even be on the electronics level again trying to keep any interference issues on the low side.

The stock Gimbal 10mm carbon fiber tubes will be replace with longer rails so that I can extend the Gimbal outward and out of view of the props. The foirst 5000k battery will be strapped to the bottom of the quad on the rails in the center of the quad. To counter balance the weight of the Gimbal/GoPro another 5000k battery will be mounted on the back end of the rails.

The idea is to keep everything balance side to side and use the Gimbal/GoPro and 5000k battery to balance the quad from front to back. This is the plan, but until I start put everything together this plan may change. Your correct in that I do have lots of real estate to work with.

3pRysM.jpg

Pumpkinguy

I've made many changes as I go. When you are idle waiting on parts you have the luxury of time to think of better ways.

AzViper

Could you measure it when you get a chance please. I have t-motor 16" props. They have a 6mm hole.

In measuring the center pin on the prop hub adapters. The pin measured at .158 of which is 4mm. My props are a take off of T-Motor props and the center hole is 4mm. I do not need to use the small aluminum adapter that came with the KDE motors, but the small aluminum adapter from KDE has an ID of 4mm and a OD of 0.236 or 6mm. As you can see I have the small KDE adapter on the quick change prop hub. The STO hubs will work for you my friend.

AzViper

Yes, we have US warehouse now and are adding some battery items include UAV battery and Car battery.
If you place order now on our us online shop, it is free shipping plus 30% off from 15th to 31st December.

GensTattu team

But you did not have the batteries I was after on sale, at least the last time I looked. The stock was very limited.

AzViper

Total BS the time it takes HK to ship yet other items from the same area of the world can be at your doorstep within 5 to 7 days. Have had columns on back-order at HK for 4 weeks. One of the order is being shipped by Speedpost, really where is the speed? 4 weeks and counting. Another is shipping Swisspost. Neither shipper updated their tracking.

Pumpkinguy

It took HK 2 days to get me a tracking number. That's pretty acceptable IMO. But...... Lol. It took them another 10 days to actually take the order to the postal facility. Lmfao.

AzViper

Surprise Surprise... Two packages arrived yesterday. One that will allow me to get started with the build and the other was batteries. Still waiting on columns as HK is still showing them on BO. Bout to turn to local electronic shops and buy the columns.

I don't have time to work on the quad but sure like the way the new motor mounts look. I could not help but mount a motor and slip the wires inside the carbon tube. I did cut a small section out off of the carbon motor mount in order to get the wires/shrink wrap into the red motor mount. Like the idea of no wires showing. Makes for a clean setup.

GDh6Tu.jpg

KR5MUK.jpg

S0rvax.jpg

AzViper

When drilling the carbon fiber tubes one needs to take caution in getting the motor mounts level and drilling the holes. I used a digital level and I eyeball across the top where the screw holes are to mount the motor plate and the top of the quad top plate. Once I am completely satisfied I drill the top hole first and place a 2.5mm screw and thread into into the carbon tube. Next I check level again using the digital level and eyeball it again. Then I rotate the quad over 180 degrees and drill through the brass threads with a undersize bit taking caution not to hit the brass threads. Next I remove the entire motor mount and size the two holes slightly larger than the screw so that the screw is not threading into the carbon fiber. These mounts use a clamping system to secure to the carbon tube.

DO NOT TRY AND DRILL THROUGH BOTH SIDES AT THE SAME TIME UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER EQUIPMENT TO KEEP THE DRILL BIT AND CARBON FIBER TUBE STRAIGHT, INLINE, AND LEVEL.

6ORbXK.jpg

yWxWYN.jpg

tnoEeD.jpg

9B9FPZ.jpg

GWN2yd.jpg

AHlwR9.jpg

xyMyRR.jpg

AzViper

Still waiting on standoff's as I do not want to using the nylon standoff's as they are weak and threads strip very easily. Using the nylon standoff's for the mock up of the Tarot 650. Mounting of the KDE motors are next followed by mounting the ESC's and soldering to the power distribution board.

AzViper

Got the motors mounted and secured one of the batteries to the bottom. I used sponge rubber self adhesive tape that's used in the refrigeration field when I mounted the battery. The sponge rubber was to insulate the battery from the frame. Next I used three 1/2" wide bands of Velcro to secure the battery from side to side and front to back.

Kinda on the back burner on how I want to secure the ESC's. I know that a double layer of the sponge rubber will be used between the frame and the ESC's to insulate any vibration. Not having the standoff's kinda puts a stopper to securing the ESC's as I do not want to cover over holes I may use for the standoff's.

jTP6I3.jpg

Z1AuBc.jpg

FlCMwr.jpg

xMS83G.jpg

Xuqaib.jpg

1eYH6o.jpg

ZdijZ0.jpg

wBb00g.jpg

ydFGXo.jpg

AzViper

I gave up on Hobby King. Way to many issues with orders, filling orders, refunds, etc. Those that work the online chat are all simplistic to the concerns of those here in the USA that are placing the orders. Been waiting nearly two months for the standoff's. I ended up ordering the standoff's directly from Tarot and bought what they had on hand as I have got to get this build finished.

I did buy a Huban X4 H107C Quad and spare parts kit to learn to fly manual with. I also found a great a place to buy 10mm x 8mm carbon fiber tubes 39" long for $6.00 each and USPS Priority shipping for $7.10. These will be used to extend the gimbal outward and out of view of the props while supporting the second battery pack to counter balance.

I also picked up a brand new GoPro 3+, digital video back, and 64g extreme memory card for $200.00. An older couple won it as a door prize at a Christmas party and had no uses for it. They had listed it on Craigslist and I was first at their door. Will not use the video back on the quad but sure can use it on my gold mining adventures.