XAircraft SuperX

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Just flew a 1000mm (18lb) Hex in 30mph winds with the SuperX...

Although I think the test footage I got will be marginal as the big wind gusts were just insane. i wanted to test big wind and I did and the rig is in one piece. WIN.
My butt pucker may not recover anytime soon but it flew nicely. It did not get fidgety like a Naza does in high wind, it just bobbled around a little on the big gusts. nothing that makes it uncontrollable,
just kind of rode the gusts out. Pretty impressed...

Zirt57

Thanks Jeff - I am aware of how the arm/disarm is supposed to work because I did RTFM ! :highly_amused:
If you were to 'RTFPosting' properly then you'd see the point I was making was that my props no longer start when I arm the motors, as they used to do,and as it says in TFM !

Have you tried re-calibrating?

Jeff

Oh, and what version of the firmware are you running?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Last edited by a moderator:

DH106

Have you tried re-calibrating?

Jeff

Oh, and what version of the firmware are you running?

Yes - have recalibrated several times. Seems to fly ok, just this strange quirk with the motors not starting now until you advance the throttle.
The firmware is 1.07

Zirt57

Yes - have recalibrated several times. Seems to fly ok, just this strange quirk with the motors not starting now until you advance the throttle.
The firmware is 1.07

That's the latest released firmware. You could try reflashing the firmware (if you haven't already). There should be a new version soon (I'm testing it right now). If that doesn't work, there is a way to do a "factory" reset if you wish to try it.

Jeff

DH106

That's the latest released firmware. You could try reflashing the firmware (if you haven't already). There should be a new version soon (I'm testing it right now). If that doesn't work, there is a way to do a "factory" reset if you wish to try it.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I'll try reflashing 1.07 for now, and the new version when ready.

And yes - I'd be very interested to know how to do a factory reset. How do you do that ?

Thanks.
I

nemorov

Problems solved... :)
Contacted the dealer in the Uk that I purchased the FC from 'XAircraft.co.uk' and had an email back from Mark Walley saying that he had forwarded my message to Xaircraft in China for their feedback. This was yesterday, and this morning I received an email via Mark from Jingchen at Xaircraft in China. He suggested a complete recalibration of the RC stick positions which I did along with raising the GPS slightly again as i had previously seen a yellow LED which indicates GPS interference. And presto the problems are gone and my machine flies ! Still needs a bit of dialing in but looking good even with the default settings.
Two things to learn from all this:
Firstly... I realised unless you are meticulous with the calibration process it is possible to accidentally delete your settings or at least record something other than the dead centre stick and top right stick positions. Its quite confusing that all the calibrations are done using essentially the same LED light sequences and theres no way to check settings in computer programme. Would be nice to be able to see confirmation of what you've actually set. I suspect that my problems were basically my error in not setting up the stick calibartions properly.
Secondly... And the most important for me is that Xaircraft both in the UK and China both responded to my problem promptly with suggestions as to how to solve it. Jingchen also asked that if the recalibration didnt solve the problem that I send him the 'Black Box' log file that the SuperX controller stores for each flight so they could analyze it and find the problem. All in all great service leading to solving the problem quickly. Now I'm not into the DJI bashing culture that gets very tiresome on this forum but I do think they could learn something from this experience.

Gavin.

Zirt57

Thanks Jeff - I'll try reflashing 1.07 for now, and the new version when ready.

And yes - I'd be very interested to know how to do a factory reset. How do you do that ?

Thanks.
I

The following instructions are from Jingchen of XAircraft.

Reset the SuperX by the following steps:
1. Copy files below to the desktop or other path on your computer.
a. CFG/CALI this file is very important, so DO Copy this before you format the disk in next step.
b. SuperX.exe
(Personally, I copy the whole disk)
2. Format the SuperX disk.
3. Repower on the SuperX.
4. Copy and replace the CALI file in CFG folder.
5. Copy the SuperX.exe to superx root.

redo the calibrations and settings.

Be sure you do step 1a. If not, you will be sending your unit back to XAircraft at your expense.

Jeff

So is this implying that XA already has a bad firmware upgrade?
I think all of us are experiencing a fairly solid firmware and I am feeling more comfortable with it every day. No major glitches so far, Knock on wood. I would not search for a reason to bash XA. Someone may have had a corrupt file, but sounds like it was fixed, or was just a possible solution to one issue.

I did have a bit of a scare yesterday that I can't explain. I was flying maybe 500m+ out via FPV and all of the sudden I was looking at the sky for a brief second as the quad seemed to power off for a split second. Control came right back and a few seconds later it happened again. I don't have OSD hooked up yet so not sure if it went into Safe Mode (failsafe) or not for a brief second. Maybe the power lines I flew over?(Doubt it). I am not sure what happens if it goes into safe mode and then regains signal. Do we gain control right back again. Since I was in forward flight and it lurched to a stop, maybe position hold was briefly initiated and it put the breaks on hard by tilting back. I flew back without a glitch. Here is a clip from the video of it. (The video if from the gopro on the gimbal. It does not show how big of a glitch it was because it is stabilized, but you can hear the power drop. My FPV camera saw all blue sky. I am also fighting some pan/roll coupling with my Tarot gopro gimbal which is driving me nuts)

i would be psyched to see a better a software utility as Gavin mentioned. Naza and HF both have screens to show how and what the sticks and switches are effecting in the flight controller. SuperX does not have this yet. An LED flash for low battery might be a good feature as well. ;) I may upgrade from basic to pro to try on my octa soon, but having fun with the quad and still hoping HF gets it together with the GPS features. It really is easy to fly these things!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I downloaded their manual and was wondering how you calibrate your radio since there is no direct interface that shows the controls. How do you do that ?

btw. Your video looks really smooth. Minus the glitches I'm impressed how good a gopro can be.

nicwilke

I downloaded their manual and was wondering how you calibrate your radio since there is no direct interface that shows the controls. How do you do that ?

btw. Your video looks really smooth. Minus the glitches I'm impressed how good a gopro can be.

You simply zero out subtrims as normal, and do the calibration. Page 14 & 15 of the manual Yuri.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Zirt57

I think all of us are experiencing a fairly solid firmware and I am feeling more comfortable with it every day. No major glitches so far, Knock on wood. I would not search for a reason to bash XA. Someone may have had a corrupt file, but sounds like it was fixed, or was just a possible solution to one issue.

I did have a bit of a scare yesterday that I can't explain. I was flying maybe 500m+ out via FPV and all of the sudden I was looking at the sky for a brief second as the quad seemed to power off for a split second. Control came right back and a few seconds later it happened again. I don't have OSD hooked up yet so not sure if it went into Safe Mode (failsafe) or not for a brief second. Maybe the power lines I flew over?(Doubt it). I am not sure what happens if it goes into safe mode and then regains signal. Do we gain control right back again. Since I was in forward flight and it lurched to a stop, maybe position hold was briefly initiated and it put the breaks on hard by tilting back. I flew back without a glitch. Here is a clip from the video of it. (The video if from the gopro on the gimbal. It does not show how big of a glitch it was because it is stabilized, but you can hear the power drop. My FPV camera saw all blue sky. I am also fighting some pan/roll coupling with my Tarot gopro gimbal which is driving me nuts)

i would be psyched to see a better a software utility as Gavin mentioned. Naza and HF both have screens to show how and what the sticks and switches are effecting in the flight controller. SuperX does not have this yet. An LED flash for low battery might be a good feature as well. ;) I may upgrade from basic to pro to try on my octa soon, but having fun with the quad and still hoping HF gets it together with the GPS features. It really is easy to fly these things!

I would say your best bet is to upload your blackbox log to the xa site to see what happened.

Jeff

CrashMaster

I note you dismiss the power lines but for safety reasons I would never fly near them. Not of fear of hitting them but the RF interference: they can emit a fierce white noise in all RF frequencies when close that is amplified and should there be a faulty or corroding connection causing sparking the RF interference could be increased and sufficient to blank out your TX signal for a second. If your AV TX signal was not blanked out or receiving snow on screen then the lack of RF interference across that frequency does not exclude interference in other frequencies. Also the power lines can and do act as Ariel so either absorb your TX outpoot or transmit another.
Although I have seen a video of a company in Scotland using RC rigs to inspect power lines and they are flying no more than 20-20 metres from the pylons?

Example:-

Note: Only a thought and no technical expertise to back this up!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Very unexciting boring equipment shakedown video here... i was just doing a shake down of my rig so no big climbs, more or less a wind/range test.
BUT.. for wind there was 20 - 30 mph wind gusts and the SuperX handled them perfectly. Watch at about 2:50 min in and you can se the trees bending all over the place, and leaves blowing sideways.. It was the most wind i ever shot in, and the rig and gimbal did well too.

Emowillcox

Nice Video SleepyC video looks pretty stable. That straight from your camera?
I got my Super X working this morning on a quad. I had a few issues with ESCs. Was trying to do a 6 S set up but the ESCs don't seem to be compatibile with my motors. Put some 10 amp Afro ESCs on there and it flies very smooth.

Are you guys that have cameras hooking the gimbals straight up to the Super X flight controller? I just tried plugging a gimbal into my Super X but not getting any response from the gimbal. Anyone have any suggestions what I might need to do? I tried 3 different kinds of servos

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yea straight from the cam.. no stabilization... but i have been tuning this gimbal for 4 weeks.
It brushless so it is not plugged into the SuperX. But I was stoked it was so solid in that much wind.

Electro 2

Are you guys that have cameras hooking the gimbals straight up to the Super X flight controller? I just tried plugging a gimbal into my Super X but not getting any response from the gimbal. Anyone have any suggestions what I might need to do? I tried 3 different kinds of servos

Did you set up gimbal commands in the configuration app, and connect a seperate gimbal battery to the "GB" port ???