XAircraft SuperX

mediaguru

X: He bought it used.

Here's mine. I pulled the SBUS and GPS connectors to make it more easy to see. That connection comes directly from the PDB, 6S.

DSC_4637.jpg

Just starting to hook up my Super X purchased used here. Going through the manual I find that I did not receive the JST - Futaba power cable so just wondering what my options are. I'm a little concerned with the wiring diagram, says you can connect direct from 3-6s. I'm running 6s on this hex and not comfortable running that much juice through a small gauge wire with JST connector as shown so probably going to run a BEC from the PDB. Any other suggestions for wiring?

Thanks, John

Last edited by a moderator:

SamaraMedia

Thanks Mouse and Justice. I did solder up my own cable and will give it a go as is.

guru, appreciate the pic. Is that a Tarot frame and are you stacking IO directly on top of the main FC or on a separate level of the tower?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Thanks Mouse and Justice. I did solder up my own cable and will give it a go as is.

guru, appreciate the pic. Is that a Tarot frame and are you stacking IO directly on top of the main FC or on a separate level of the tower?

If you look closely the IMU is on it’s own level and the IO is on a shelf.
Also I have 4 superX’s running off 6S direct no issues what so ever!

And remember large gauge wire is only needed for high amp draws like for an ESC, the SuperX will be lucky to pull .5 amps so the small gauge wire is totally fine.

mediaguru

Yep it is a T960 frame. The IMU is level with the top frame plate and the "shelf" has the I/O. I may move the I/O to the top plate as well and put the GPS on a removable tower so I can pack the bird in a thinner case. It's always a work in progress but this setup has been solid for a while.

SamaraMedia

Thanks guys! Much appreciated, sometimes my brain thinks just 'cuz there is 6s powering everything it pushes amps through rather than each component drawing what it needs, I think...

SamaraMedia

Guru, looking at your photo are you running a large gauge wire to a XT60 connector then a smaller gauge from there to the Futaba connector at the IMU?

mediaguru

I'd have to look at it to be sure. I think the wire coming from the PDB to the XT60 is 16... hold on... looking. Okay... from the PDB to the XT60 is 16 and the Futaba wire is 20. The XT60 is there because I was running an FrSky voltage monitor with telemetry at one time. But, since I got a different monitor I stopped using that.

SamaraMedia

I guessing that voltage monitor is the lower left of the photo. Looks like you're using the Taranis with sbus, you like?

I just finished hooking up a pair of new Tarot retracts on my UAP1 hex and trying to figure out how to program my receiver using sbus for main FC and plugging in the servo plug for the retract control. Watching Drew's YouTube video on setup and programing of 8FG with Super X. I'll take a fresh look at it all tomorrow.

mediaguru

Correct. Yes I've liked the Taranis with SBUS. Saves on cabling, failure points, and weight. I'm only using SBUS for 1-8 though. 9-16 is all the strange stuff I have like switchable LED's, camera pitch and roll etc.

I guessing that voltage monitor is the lower left of the photo. Looks like you're using the Taranis with sbus, you like?

I just finished hooking up a pair of new Tarot retracts on my UAP1 hex and trying to figure out how to program my receiver using sbus for main FC and plugging in the servo plug for the retract control. Watching Drew's YouTube video on setup and programing of 8FG with Super X. I'll take a fresh look at it all tomorrow.

SamaraMedia

yeah, I'm gonna have to figure that all out too, retracts, LED's, pitch and roll of 3 axis gimbal, waiting on Phobotoic CP to arrive.

Zirt57

I just finished hooking up a pair of new Tarot retracts on my UAP1 hex ....

This is one time that I do recommend a separate ubec. Just for the retracts. I've seen retracts pull enough juice to cause a brownout to the flight controller (any flight controller, not just the SuperX) so I wire in a ubec just for them.

Jeff

Zirt57

Jeff,

That UBEC would still get its power from the PDB or main battery, right?

Yes it would. The problem is if you plug in your retracts directly to the SuperX or the radio receiver. The ubec in the SuperX isn't designed to have the kind of power pulled from it that retracts require and neither is the radio receiver.

I had a SuperX hex setup with retracts attached directly to the radio receiver. When testing (about 6 feet above the ground) you could see the hex struggle and wobble. When I added the separate ubec as per Jingchen, the wobble went away.

The testing was done with me only 10-15 feet away. Imagine what could happen if you hit the retract switch when the unit is several hundred feet away and the signal is not as strong.

Jeff

mediaguru

Yes it would. The problem is if you plug in your retracts directly to the SuperX or the radio receiver. The ubec in the SuperX isn't designed to have the kind of power pulled from it that retracts require and neither is the radio receiver.

I had a SuperX hex setup with retracts attached directly to the radio receiver. When testing (about 6 feet above the ground) you could see the hex struggle and wobble. When I added the separate ubec as per Jingchen, the wobble went away.

The testing was done with me only 10-15 feet away. Imagine what could happen if you hit the retract switch when the unit is several hundred feet away and the signal is not as strong.

Jeff

Oh for sure. I wouldn't want to power something like that from the SX, RX or anything potentially weak like that. I'd step down (if needed) directly from the PDB.

SamaraMedia

This is one time that I do recommend a separate ubec. Just for the retracts. I've seen retracts pull enough juice to cause a brownout to the flight controller (any flight controller, not just the SuperX) so I wire in a ubec just for them.

Jeff

Jeff, with the Tarot setup it has a separate control unit has the two retracts plug into. As of now I have the PDB powering the control unit with 6s then running a servo cable from the control unit to my rx, there a problem with that connection setup? If I were to add the BEC it would go between the PDB and control unit, correct?

Thanks,

John

Zirt57

Jeff, with the Tarot setup it has a separate control unit hat the two retracts plug into. As of now I have the PDB powering the control unit with 6s then running a servo cable from the control unit to my rx, there a problem with that connection setup?

Thanks,

John

That one sounds like one of the ones that I have. It should be OK because it actually gets it's power from the PDB and not the RX, My advice is only for those retracts that get their power directly from the RX and thus the SuperX. I have a couple of those also and when I use them, I use a UBEC. You should be OK.

Jeff