Propellers diferences

JLO

Can a someone explain hopefully base on real experience the advantages and disadvantages of using, example APC Slow fly props, Vs Thin electric
Thank you

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I havent used APC thins yet but they are probably somewhat similar to Graupners.

APC slow flys have much more surface area for the same size prop. They are much more flexible than the others excluding chinese props which are all garbage. APC's sometimes need a little balancing to get perfect. They come in a bunch of sizes which is nice.

Graupners are much more rigid with much less surface area than any other prop I have seen. They are almost perfect out of the box. Do well with descending since they dont flex as much. they are also really good at limiting vibrations. They do like to be spun faster as well which a good thing.

Xoar makes wood props which are rigid, tuned and need very little balancing. They are expensive and hard to find and IMO make the heli look less "professional." but performance is performance.

Does that help?

Also to add that

APC slowfly are build for slower rotation speeds. Its a thin and light prop. Many use them on multis even though it is not recommented because of its thin build. Usually comes unbalanced.

APC electric is for fast rotation speed, so it is more rigit and almost twice as heavy than slowfly. Usually comes unbalanced.

JXF (xoar) for multi's are moddeled out of the APC electric shape but use wood so the are almost half as heavy. Usually comes unbalanced.

Graupner have their own shape. The materials used are composite offering a stiff very light propeller that is usually perfectly balanced. But the company refuses to make more sizes for multis.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizprod

Also to add that

APC slowfly are build for slower rotation speeds. Its a thin and light prop. Many use them on multis even though it is not recommented because of its light weight. Usually comes unbalanced.

APC electric is for fast rotation speed, so it is more rigit and almost twice as heavy than slowfly. Usually comes unbalanced.

JXF (xoar) for multi's are moddeled out of the APC electric shape but use wood so the are almost half as heavy. Usually comes unbalanced.

Graupner have their own shape. The materials used are composite offering a stiff very light propeller that is usually perfectly balanced. But the company refuses to make more sizes for multis.

Huh, SF's not recommended because of their light weight? You want multi-rotor props to be as light as possible to allow for quicker rpm changes.

I They are much more flexible than the others excluding chinese props which are all garbage. APC's sometimes need a little balancing to get perfect.

Well there is almost no way to balance a APC. After i work one hour to perfectly balance one i did a little test and i gently bent the prop for 5 seconds. After that it was again totally out of balance... so, balancing APCs is futile, since they will unbalance at the first time when you bent them by mistake while transporting the multi... And they work just fine without balance them, and that's because are so flexible.

And yes, descending with APC is a mess... no way to get a stable shot when descending, unless you apply stick to pitch or roll to descend in a 45 degree angle.

I also think Graupners have the best performance/price ratio, but if money are no concern the go to Xoar.

mailman35

i just got some zinger 9x5's yesterday, they needed some balancing to get them to even out. gonna do some flights today to see how much different they are then the rctimer 10x4.5 cf blades i was using since the graupners are so tough to find and are expensive when it gets down to it.

jforkner

[SIZE=+2]APC [/SIZE]Suggested RPM Limits

1. Thin Electrics and Folding Electric Props

Maximum RPM=145,000/prop diameter (inches)

2. Slow Flyer props

Maximum RPM=65,000/prop diameter (inches)
I've used both APC 12x3.8SF and APC 12x6E props on my hexa. The 12x6 props are a little more responsive, but I attribute that the the pitch increase vs. the SF- or the E-design. I found that finding the same sizes in both designs is rare.

Jack

JLO

I ask Jeff from Quadrocoter his opinion on the differences between Slow Fly vs Thin Electric props, and why they prefer with the Cine Star line 6 or 8 the slow fly props, I would have thought that in this category of heavy lifters with higher RPM motors thin Electric would have been preferred he said that the 14 size SF prop with MK electronics the CS6 and CS8 combination the birds fly awesome..........!!!!!!!!!!
I am more confused, it sims that many flyers eventually find their sweet combination after Trial and error, I wonder is there a study for multirotors from where we can learn make sense on the differences and effects of
Prop size
Prop pitch
total craft weight
battery
motors
and the very elusive ESC amps draw

jforkner

I am more confused, it sims that many flyers eventually find their sweet combination after Trial and error, I wonder is there a study for multirotors from where we can learn make sense on the differences and effects of
Prop size
Prop pitch
total craft weight
battery
motors
and the very elusive ESC amps draw

Your assignment...should you choose to accept it.:)

With this: (http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc) and by experimenting.

Until I "learned" I bought more than 50 props, 3 different brand of motors and 4 different sets of esc's. That's just for my first build. Now I am on my sixth.

What I have found after all this money spending is that most vendors are only trying to get your money and have no idea what they are selling. Even the reviews on most sites are fake.

Best way is to copy from someone that has a successful build, or find a reputable dealer.

DennyR

With this: (http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc) and by experimenting.

Until I "learned" I bought more than 50 props, 3 different brand of motors and 4 different sets of esc's. That's just for my first build. Now I am on my sixth.

What I have found after all this money spending is that most vendors are only trying to get your money and have no idea what they are selling. Even the reviews on most sites are fake.

Best way is to copy from someone that has a successful build, or find a reputable dealer.

I bet you couldn't find anything much use in a Cyprus model shop !!!! I think that most of us have trodden a long hard road. Fact is that even if someone had offered a perfect ready to fly model most of us would want to change something to make it more personal.

mailman35

so i ordered up several diffrent wooden props in different sizes and pitches. as i like how they fly im just not happy with the flight time i get with the 9x5's
so i ordered 1 pair of 7x4,8x4,10x6,12x6

Dewster

Yep... My Hexa crashed today on its second flight with carbon fiber props. The prop snapped while my craft was over some trees. I should have stayed with the APC props. They flex under stress versus failing. Not only that the carbon fiber props result in crisp movement in flight resulting in shakier video on the cheaper gimbals. The APC props provided stable video. Rapid descents were the only issue. Don't buy into the carbon fiber craze... I spent over a hundred dollars on six props and it resulted in my Hexa crashing. Find what works for you, stick with it, and don't be lulled into hype of new products.

Randall1959

Hi Model has quite a few counter rotating props to choose from but I must admit their shipping is a tad steep. I just ordered some to see how the quality is. I'm having a hard time finding props that work with 5/16" adapters.
http://www.himodel.com/sort.php?sub2=FR

I like Gemfans and APC's but once I drill out the hubs they are scary thin.