Sony HX9V Vs NEX 5N?

Need to buy new AP camera for my x650 v8 WK-M I have a go-pro but footage is rubbish, I have a 550D but it's a little too heavy. So i was Looking at the NEX5n but then saw footage from the HX9V and the stabilizer seems amazing! i'm put off by lack of manual controls. The footage needs to intercut with Canon 5d footage and be used in high end videos so needs to look good.

Has any one use both these camera or any others similar they could recommend?

Cheers

Olli

kloner

Aerial DP
how is something like this to keep dust out of? I'm ready to buy this thing but i gotta get more than a weekend out of it. The last nikon in this price range freaked me out. less than 2 hours it need replacing

go for the Nex 7 :) :)

I know the 5n is actually better than the 7 at high ISO so better for video. As It has less pixels = lower noise, so definatly not worth the extra money over a 5n.

I want to know If the nex5n has image stabilise like the Hx9v

jcmonty

It depends on the lens for the Nex series. Are you sure that you are talking about teh HX9V and not the RX100? All of the videos that I have seen of the HX9V show lots of jello that needs to be dealt with. The RX100 has pretty good OIS from what I have seen.

PaNt

I know the 5n is actually better than the 7 at high ISO so better for video. As It has less pixels = lower noise, so definatly not worth the extra money over a 5n.

I want to know If the nex5n has image stabilise like the Hx9v

Hmmm i didnt know that..! then i would go for nex5n..! :)

So if you would go with 5n what lens would you buy?? 16 f2.8 or the 18-55?

Last edited by a moderator:

i'd buy the offer that has both lenses but i'd use the 16mm as it's lightest and widest. Hows the jello effect on the Nex5?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
how is something like this to keep dust out of? I'm ready to buy this thing but i gotta get more than a weekend out of it. The last nikon in this price range freaked me out. less than 2 hours it need replacing

Really? What happened? Shook it to bits or what?

One other option, better than a Go Pro (man, I'm getting sick of watching Go Pro footage!) but not up to high quality standards... one of the tough P&S's. I've got an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000, the video is crap, but the stills are OK. But man, I just beat on it and it keeps working. I take it to the beach and just put it in my swimsuit pocket. I go off-road motorcycle riding and just stuff it in a pocket, etc... The 6000 sucks but it's a few years old. The newer models are much better. Just another option if you're looking for something durable.

kloner

Aerial DP
this was resting against a pole.
b&h exchanged it but ever since i'm afraid to take it out of the case. s9100

Ok went to camera shop to check out Nex5N, the RX100 the stabilizer in the RX100 seems great but only records 50p i really need 50p and 25p 24p. the NEX5 has apsc sensor records all frame rates i need but no Stabilizer.

Does any one know how the nex5 copes with shakey situations?

ChrisViperM

In simple words: the RX100 is a pocket camera and the NEX5 N is a camera for the serious hobby fotographer. If you just want to strap it to your x650 v8, go for the RX100, 'cause it is cheaper. If you also wanna do some serious pictures on the ground, get a SONY NEX5...you wanna spend even more $$...get a SONY NEX7....you wanna be a hero and wanna hear a lot of ohhhh and ahhhhh from the audience.....get this:

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
the rx100 is more than a 5n. Pocket cameras have lenses that go in and out, right? 5n doesn't, right? that's the fragile i'm talking about. I think a 5n is in my zIIs near future

Stacky

The RX100 records in 50p and also in 25p.

Ok went to camera shop to check out Nex5N, the RX100 the stabilizer in the RX100 seems great but only records 50p i really need 50p and 25p 24p. the NEX5 has apsc sensor records all frame rates i need but no Stabilizer.

Does any one know how the nex5 copes with shakey situations?

kloner

Aerial DP
take a battery out if i had to.......

Is the stabilizer in the camera something you want? are all the killer vids you guys make with it stabilized?