How the pro's did AP at the Olympics

jes1111

I always have a King Air turboprop stationed at 20,000ft above my shoot area for downlink. Don't you? ;)

tstrike

pendejo grande
LOL :D

350 hours @ approx. £1200 per hour = £420,000 (~US$658,000) - ouch!
NBC baby, when they came here and did the 2002 winter Oly's, they got the state tax commission to change the property tax laws so they didn't have to pay taxes on any gear they brought into the state for a year before and a few months after.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I was watching... I think it was the men's triathlon, the running stage. And the moving camera footage consisted of two guys on one motorcycle, the driver driving, and the camera operator standing on the footpegs at the back with a large video camera on his shoulder. Serious talent, but they can only do so much, and it showed in the footage. I was surprised that that was the best they could do. An octocopter would have been so much better, and probably safer for the athletes and spectators. I'd rather have an octo following me than a 1000lb wobbly two-headed monster running 5 feet behind me!

Seems to me like an Octo or RC Heli could have done a better job filming the other events, without so many worries about traffic at Heathrow. I know that flying in a corridor obviously IS a big deal in the eyes of the law, but I think if everybody could get their heads screwed on straight it doesn't have to be impossible. 3 man teams, a pilot, camera operator, and safety officer who has a radio to Heathrow. They stay under 100 feet, and if somehow something went wrong sending the UAV higher than that, the safety officer can notify ATC. For sure if somebody is below 100 feet, several miles out from Heathrow, they have bigger problems to worry about than a 20 lb Octo somewhere in the airspace.