single rotor fpv

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
there are those herringbone too, they are slanted together to a v and don't have the problem.

Whats on the big tdr's and goblins? I haven't looked lately

Herringbone: only on Mikados. Goblins have slants and belts, I believe. The MSH Protos looks really neat. Only a single belt! It's supposed to be freaky quiet.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Big weekend for me with the SRH. I've got it mechanically working well (still with straight cut gears). Then, I finally got it to position hold. I'm the first to get this nailed.

Here's the video, but first a quick explanation. At first you see me flying it hard, I'm just testing the stabilization first, make sure it's good (it is, I was wanging the sticks around). You can see the roll looks good, but the pitch has that nasty bob going on. That's actually just a stupid mistake I made, the SRH needs different gains on roll and pitch due to the different moment of inertia on the axes, and I knew this but accidentally had them equal. So just ignore the bob. Then I fly up, go into Loiter for a second (you can hear Mission Planner talking), then back to stab because I wanted to move it over a bit more, then back to Loiter. Basically the rest of the flight is on autopilot position hold until I come in to land. The heli held almost perfect position, the movement you see is actually the altitude going up and down due to the poor barometer performance on the 1st generation Ardupilot board which this one has.

Then I also shot this one to try and show the solid tail control performance:

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Congrats, looks great, whats the head speed start at there, 1500? no governor? that helps alot usually, keeps everything speed wise up top and out back the same so it doesn't want to change thrust. So can you send that thing off to do waypoints, set down the tx and ride along?

i'm just not sure i'd have the patience for all that. just did 3 years of r&d, the thought of working on something over flying it makes me cringe. I turned into a consumer... used to love tinkering like that though.......... why i did r&d

my kids want your playhouse......

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Actually, I'm not entirely sure what the headspeed is. I want it at 1800, but the governor sort of sucks.

Yes, theoretically it can do missions, but nobody has done it with the heli yet. I'm sort of leading the testing and development of it at this point.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
awesome dude. Whats the cost of the auto pilot flite controller system in this thing?

I think it's about $200, $250? Something like that. Plus options. Telemetry, sonar altimeter, etc. I don't have sonar, can't get it working. The heli is too loud.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Here's my latest test video of the system. I wanted to put together a video to compare a quad copter vs. a SRH in stiff winds. I tried the quad first and it was everything I could do to simply keep it in the air. The FPV footage is nauseating. Then I shot this, and it actually came out far better than I hoped!

Again, the camera is hard mounted. I'm fairly well shocked at the lack of jello as well as the lack of movement in the Loiter. I guess all my balancing worked!

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Man, I dont need to be seeing this stuff! Too many toys already. But it is a good example of why a SRH still has its place. but that video is un curable with those srh typical high frequency vibes. I never got rid of that stuff before no matter how hard I tried.

What heli is that?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Man, I dont need to be seeing this stuff! Too many toys already. But it is a good example of why a SRH still has its place. but that video is un curable with those srh typical high frequency vibes. I never got rid of that stuff before no matter how hard I tried.

What heli is that?

This is the HK600GT. So it's pretty junky, but I finally got it working. I'm building up a better machine slowly.

I'm pretty sure I could fix the video vibes, this camera is literally hard mounted, and I don't find the jello is too bad compared to many other things I've seen. I was worried it would be just a blur.

Macsgrafs

. I never got rid of that stuff before no matter how hard I tried.

Phew....that's a relief, I thought it was just me ;)

Your HK600 looks impressive (as you know its a trex 600 rip-off, parts made in same factory no doubt). I am thinking of getting another 600 for FPV use, just love flying my trex600esp, but I can afford to smash a HK600 ;)
Nice position hold, very impressive.

Ross

kloner

Aerial DP
it has a different look don't it.. What kind of gimbles are there for this size heli? do they got them counter balanced mounts?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
No way they are made in the same factory. Most of the HK600GT parts are actually cast aluminum, and then they finish machine only the functional surfaces. The aluminum is therefore a very soft cast aluminum grade, and tolerances are hit or miss.

The Align parts are machined from 6061 or 7075 billet and are much stronger, and much tighter tolerances.

But if you are so inclined, try the HK550GT. I think it's made by a different supplier than the 600. My HK450Pro FBL is virtually indistinguishable from Align, and I expect the 550 is too since it's also a new kit.

Phew....that's a relief, I thought it was just me ;)

Your HK600 looks impressive (as you know its a trex 600 rip-off, parts made in same factory no doubt). I am thinking of getting another 600 for FPV use, just love flying my trex600esp, but I can afford to smash a HK600 ;)
Nice position hold, very impressive.

Ross

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Gimbals? Lots of different stuff. There's PhotoshipOne stuff, and some guys fit Photohigher units as well. What do you mean counterbalanced?

Macsgrafs

Any gimbal will do.....here's an underslung gimbal mounted to the front of our 600:-
View attachment 6601

Moved the 6S lipo to the rear as a counter balance...very easy to do as well.

Ross

Attachments

• heli-front-mount.jpg
    heli-front-mount.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 284