jfro

Aerial Fun
Shot this in my homeland of the Adirondacks, NY with F550 and gopro. The first time I've ever gotten enough footage to put together a proper vid! The video appears to be in the process of going semi-viral in upstate NY (over 4000 hits in less than 2 days)!

I live about 4-4.5 hrs from Lake Placid and have been contemplating maybe a late summer or fall (when the leaves turn color) 2-3 day trip up there for some flying /filming.

I've been there a few times, but that was a long time ago. Curious as if you would be willing to share some accessible locations for flying and filming. I probably wouldn't fly over any of the towns, just mostly lakes, water fall, streams, and mountain shots.

If you would be willing to share some locations, please pm me and we can talk or exchange some information via email or pm's.

Very impressive go pro footage... Congrats on a nice looking piece.

Last edited by a moderator:

Superb aerials and beautiful landscape ! Would you mind sharing some of the technicals ? I owe the same set F550/Gopro3 a bit customized and very satisfied with the whole thing behavior. What was your cam setting ? Medium or narrow mode ? 2.7 or 1 K ? ND filter ? Which gimbal ?

Thanks again for sharing.

I pretty much exclusively shoot 1080 narrow 60fps now. The narrow view is best for getting out in front of the props (I have the aeroxcraft booms but they don't quite cut it in forward flight) and for reducing the fisheye effect. 60 fps for the ability to go slo-mo if you want. You've gotta have really good balance and vibration damping in narrow mode, because jello is exaggerated. I use the pro-tune setting too. Haven't messed with using filters yet, but I'd like to. Not sure how it would effect the gimbal. Gimbal is zenmuse H3-3d. I originally had a tarot gimbal, but I gotta say the zenmuse is WORLDS better.

I live about 4-4.5 hrs from Lake Placid and have been contemplating maybe a late summer or fall (when the leaves turn color) 2-3 day trip up there for some flying /filming.

I've been there a few times, but that was a long time ago. Curious as if you would be willing to share some accessible locations for flying and filming. I probably wouldn't fly over any of the towns, just mostly lakes, water fall, streams, and mountain shots.

If you would be willing to share some locations, please pm me and we can talk or exchange some information via email or pm's.

Very impressive go pro footage... Congrats on a nice looking piece.

I may be biased but Saranac Lake makes a great base-camp. Big enough town for everything you need, but the lake (Lower Saranac) is 90% undeveloped, so you are in the wilderness in minutes. But you'll need a boat for that. Really anywhere in the Adirondacks I'd recommend trying to get on a boat, for access to the good parts. The places in my video are Lower Saranac, Lake Placid, Tupper Lake, The Cascades, and Chapel Pond.

Ray Bahas

I pretty much exclusively shoot 1080 narrow 60fps now. The narrow view is best for getting out in front of the props (I have the aeroxcraft booms but they don't quite cut it in forward flight) and for reducing the fisheye effect. 60 fps for the ability to go slo-mo if you want. You've gotta have really good balance and vibration damping in narrow mode, because jello is exaggerated. I use the pro-tune setting too. Haven't messed with using filters yet, but I'd like to. Not sure how it would effect the gimbal. Gimbal is zenmuse H3-3d. I originally had a tarot gimbal, but I gotta say the zenmuse is WORLDS better.

Many thanks for your answers. I also use the aeroxcraft (see pict) booms and landing gear. However, I pushed the booms forward as far as possible to free the camera view in wide mode and when aiming downward for vertical shots. But I compensated camera/gimbal weight with one of my 2 lipos + video transmitter installed in the back end of the booms. The balance is perfect and camera view unobstructed in all directions. I agree with your statement about the zenmuse, it’s the best and I’m going to replace my Arris 2D with it. ND filters contribute to eliminate jello and it won’t affect your gimbal balance. Happy fly.
attachment.php

jfro

Aerial Fun
I may be biased but Saranac Lake makes a great base-camp. Big enough town for everything you need, but the lake (Lower Saranac) is 90% undeveloped, so you are in the wilderness in minutes. But you'll need a boat for that. Really anywhere in the Adirondacks I'd recommend trying to get on a boat, for access to the good parts. The places in my video are Lower Saranac, Lake Placid, Tupper Lake, The Cascades, and Chapel Pond.

Thanks. Don't have a boat, but maybe rent one and haul up there. They do have rentals on Saranac, so that might work too. Never tried flying from a boat. Might be something to practice on and maybe head up there when the leaves change color, although I've done that before and finding lodging is expensive and hard during the color season.....

ryhza

I recieved my fatshark dominator HD's yesterday here's a raw flight from the DVR built in them seems to work well very happy with these goggles worth the super long wait!

ryhza

sorry lads that was rendered in low quality heres a high quality one different footage but same spot :) enjoy

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I recieved my fatshark dominator HD's yesterday here's a raw flight from the DVR built in them seems to work well very happy with these goggles worth the super long wait!

Talk about a wild ride! Sort of like Disneyland Space Mountain without rails.

Reminds me of the stuff that juz used to post (what happened to JUZ anyway?)

mackar

Still learning to fly and edit videos, here is one of my latest. Filmed with Hero 3+ on a DJI F450 with DYS 3 axis gimbal

flitelab

Quick preview edit from a shootwe did yesterday at High Liner Foods IFDS Worlds 2014 sailing event. Shot land based with X8 GH3 Zenmuse and at sea with custom F550 with DYS gimbal and GoPro.

kloner

Aerial DP
not really, i was so busy keeping it still i didn't really get to do alot of looking around. We had 6 cameras going and a ton of stuff to look through still along with logs and other data.

It airs tonight on channel 8 news at 5 and channel 6 at 10pm.... we were there along with 3dr. it was interesting

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1584.jpg
    IMG_1584.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 286

ebeez

Quick preview edit from a shootwe did yesterday at High Liner Foods IFDS Worlds 2014 sailing event. Shot land based with X8 GH3 Zenmuse and at sea with custom F550 with DYS gimbal and GoPro.

Nicely done!!