juz

FPV pilot
before you ask..

VC-450 quadcopter frame (hoverthings.com)
Gaui GU344 FC (flight controller)
Turnigy 3s 3000mah 35C Lipo flight battery
Turnigy TR 28-30B 14A 1050Kv Brushless Outrunner motors
Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESCs
10x4.7 Props
RC system: AR7000 rx / JR DSX9 tx
1.3 ghz 300mW
eagletree elogger and OSD
Hobbyking LEDs
Gopro HD hero for aerial recording
weight: 1430 grams
flight time: 6 minutes

Base station

2 x 1.3Ghz recievers with 8dBi patch and 3dBi omni antennas
Eagletree EagleEyes FPV station (diversity)
Fatshark goggles
All running off a 2200 mah 3s lipo
mounted on a camera tripod.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice.. thats what I would love to be able to do just for the buzz!

Nice flying.. love the house fly throughs.. Great equipment list its always nice to get the lowdown on our member builds.

Dave

PS Welcome to MRF.. I think I have seen some of your vids else were. This is a great place to check stuff out in the MR world and has some great and very helpful peeps.. Butt looking at your et up and flying I guess there will be more questions going your way!

Hello,

I was flying solo with a fpv camera on the GH2 for framing.

Q1. How do you get permission to do that?

I was requested to be there from the race organizer, a couple sponsors, and a PR group that will use portions for B-roll for future projects.

Q2. You say a modified AV130. What mods have you made?

Vibration Isolation and tilt (analog servo swap)

Q3. For the riding shots you have slowed down the most, which camera were you using?

I shot a GH2 at 720 60P so I had the overcrank option for slomo which I applied to a couple clips. Editors also like this creative freedom, plus the 60p stabilizes much better than 30p.

Cheers,
Jeff

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks jeff but forgive my ignorance.. I have a AV130 mount on my ADX3 and it came with the latest savox servos. What do you mean by

Also are you supplying 6V to your servos or just what the MKFC can give 5v I think!

Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

Thanks Dave

PS I have started a show your MR picture thread. Would be good if you could post a couple of pics of your set up.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
jeff,
are you saying you removed a digital servo to put in an analog? or was it the other way around?

for anyone not familiar with the difference, an analog servo will apply less than full voltage for small displacements and as the throw being requested increases they use more voltage. digital servos use full voltage no matter how small a displacement they are trying to correct or reposition to. That makes them very effective at returning to a strong center point quickly and accurately.

if i had to guess i'd say you pulled the digital servo for an analog replacement and that it's giving a more mellow action as it's making its small corrections around the center point.

drumroll please while we wait for an answer?

bart

Hello,

I installed a Futaba analog servo and swapped out the digital looking for smoother reaction and less digital servo chatter.
The platform for the above video should be finalized in the next few weeks to include a custom gimble.

Best,
Jeff

Also the above FC board has the stock RECOM, but we do install the heavy duty 6.5V frequently for the HV servos that come with the AV200 gimble.

Best,
Jeff

CopterCam

Hello,

I was flying solo with a fpv camera on the GH2 for framing.

Q1. How do you get permission to do that?

I was requested to be there from the race organizer, a couple sponsors, and a PR group that will use portions for B-roll for future projects.

Q2. You say a modified AV130. What mods have you made?

Q3. For the riding shots you have slowed down the most, which camera were you using?

I shot a GH2 at 720 60P so I had the overcrank option for slomo which I applied to a couple clips. Editors also like this creative freedom, plus the 60p stabilizes much better than 30p.

Cheers,
Jeff

That's even more impressive........ great platform + great mount + great camera + great FPV + great Piloting skills = Great AV.

Would love to see a short narrated video of your Platform and base station. What are the chances , Jeff ? ;)

Sid

Macsgrafs

Juz, my mrs & I love your home, what a lovely place & a superb location...some people are so lucky ;)
Have you got any video chasing those roos, that would be wicked ;)

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:

That's even more impressive........ great platform + great mount + great camera + great FPV + great Piloting skills = Great AV.

Would love to see a short narrated video of your Platform and base station. What are the chances , Jeff ? ;)

Sid

We should have a ton of info in a couple weeks. Still finalizing a custom gimbal and a few other small points.
Also getting a can of silicon coating today to further test wet/salty environments.

Cheers,
Jeff

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
jeff,
are you saying you removed a digital servo to put in an analog? or was it the other way around?

for anyone not familiar with the difference, an analog servo will apply less than full voltage for small displacements and as the throw being requested increases they use more voltage. digital servos use full voltage no matter how small a displacement they are trying to correct or reposition to. That makes them very effective at returning to a strong center point quickly and accurately.

if i had to guess i'd say you pulled the digital servo for an analog replacement and that it's giving a more mellow action as it's making its small corrections around the center point.

drumroll please while we wait for an answer?

bart

I'm now firmly convinced analog servos are the only way to go if you want really smooth compensation on roll and tilt axis. Here's the first test vid I did this morning with a mount I just finished setting up with Hitec HS-485HB analog servos on both roll and tilt, the little bit of shakiness you see is what remains to be eliminated from the way the mount is attached to the multi. This is completely raw video out of the GoPro and up to youtube, no deshaking or any other post processing applied, and the GoPro is hard mounted to the platform with no vibration isolation at all between it and the rest of the AD-6 its flying on...

This mount by the way out performs my AV130 and costs less than half as much, I think I'm going to apply similar mods to the 130 in the hope I can get it to actually be more than the expensive disappointment its proven itself to be so far.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Jeff, are you letting PhotoHigher know of your findings?

I would be really interested in a couple of pics of your modifications of the AV130 and the model#'s of the Futaba servos you used.

Ken, what mount have you retrofitted the Hitec's on?

Dave

J.T.

Spiralling out of control
The drought show up interesting patterns in a wheat field in the south east of the UK. I have been told they show where the ground repeatedly froze during the last ice age.

attachment.php

CopterCam

Ken,

Very interesting findings and super stable image, especially given the simple mounting.

We often heap praise, and rightly so, on videos posted from top end platforms but I have seen many impressive videos from basic entry level platforms. So are we to conclude that there is a greater likelihood of acceptable footage, particularly in less than ideal conditions from the higher end platforms notwithstanding the human input ?

It seems there are many variables involved in AV capture............ we have the platform and its ability to handle the wind, the camera mount and its interaction with the platform and of course the Camera and its capabilities in handling the fluctuating vibrations and platform nuances, not to mention the ever changing light readings we place on the meter as we fly.........

Sid

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The drought show up interesting patterns in a wheat field in the south east of the UK. I have been told they show where the ground repeatedly froze during the last ice age.
Yo JT nice pic.
They look like veins! Interesting. Not sure of the Geology down there but it looks like semi porous and none porous rock formations below the surface the porus allowing the water table up to the subsoil allowing the wheat over the seams to get their water.. PS quick fact the UK has the most diverse geology than any other place in the world.. well so I am reliably informed!

Nice evening shot of which estuary?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, what mount have you retrofitted the Hitec's on?

Dave

Here's what I did the video with...

IMG_1501a.jpg

IMG_1502a.jpg

IMG_1500a.jpg

IMG_1499a.jpg

The servos I replaced were already analog but very cheap ones, I replaced them with better analog versions with higher torque and better gears. The originals did an adequate job with the exception of having an ever so tiny amount of slop in the gearing, and it's amazing how much motion a little slop at the servo shaft translates into at the camera platform. The Hitecs I used cost a whopping $16.99 each, so not high end gear by any means, but you don't need high end gear to get the job done, just gear that works, period.

I've been almost a year now chasing a combination of equipment that could get the job done and require a minimum of post processing on the backend to produce acceptable results. Call me crazy or old school if you want, but I much rather NOT have to do a lot of enhancement or tweaking to get good results, my preference is to go as direct from the camera to finished product as possible and let the subject do the talking, not the effects added after the fact. I think I finally have something I can work with, now its time to get it out in the field and see if it can perform to expectation.

The only remaining thing I need to work out is the slight wiggle the support arm has in it to get rid of that last little bit of visible vibration. I'm not sure that can be done the way the present arm is designed and built, I might have to get creative here. Overall for a mount that I bought as a basically unfinished pile of pieces I'm very happy with the end result so far. If only I could have gotten the same results from the high $ mounts I've already tried...

Ken

P.S. just for comparison, here's a vid of almost the same flight taken a little later in the day using my stock MK Hexa and AV 130 mount, the difference is plain to see...

juz

FPV pilot
Juz, my mrs & I love your home, what a lovely place & a superb location...some people are so lucky ;)
Have you got any video chasing those roos, that would be wicked ;)

Ross

Hey thanks Ross
We are very lucky to live where we do, we still can't believe it. The only 'roo "chase" scene is in my FPV 8 - the cure video. Though its very short. The 'roos don't really care about my quadcopter, infact they sometimes try and "get" it as seen in the last scene of this video...

juz

Crash

Defies Psychics
juz, stop embarrassing me with that flying.:p

Great videos and welcome to the site.

PS. Those wild dogs sure run funny.;)