Quinton

Some aerial fun. A CPL is my next investment that's for sure.

How would a CPL have helped in that situation, especially when you are flying at all different angles to the sun.
Would an ND filter not have been better.
Circular Polarizing Filters are great for single shots, water reflections or blue sky getting rid of reflections in glass, also they might give you more lens flare depending in what direction you were facing.
Would an ND filter not have been better, if you didn't already have one?

Last edited by a moderator:

kcsajtai

How would a CPL have helped in that situation, especially when you are flying at all different angles to the sun.
My main problem is the blown out white color of the car but the water reflections didn't help either. I think a cpl will help that somewhat. I don't have any filters for this RX100 yet, so I'm open to suggestions. However the options are quite limited. If it's a planned shot than the angles are not a problem since I can prepare. Maybe ND is the solution. Maybe I try both :)

Quinton

My main problem is the blown out white color of the car but the water reflections didn't help either. I think a cpl will help that somewhat. I don't have any filters for this RX100 yet, so I'm open to suggestions. However the options are quite limited. If it's a planned shot than the angles are not a problem since I can prepare. Maybe ND is the solution. Maybe I try both :)

Ahh then you need something that we all wished we had, it's called a "more dynamic range" filter :)
All you can do in those situations is expose for what you are following, you may be too dark in other places, but you can try and bring up the shadows a bit, but you can not recover blown out highlights.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I have a question and in no way is this to be taken as a downer or a diss. The footage is amazing, the piloting is exceptional and the panning is spot on.
BUT, in a few tiny instances I saw a bit of jello at like 1:09 and a few other spots.

And mind you I am being ultra, insanely critical, but I want to know.... is that acceptable on an ultra professional level.

i am spending hours and hours and hours trying to rid myself of those tiny imperfections, and for my sanity i would like to know a general consensus.

And again I stress... 99.55 of everyone would be blown away with that footage, as it’s gorgeous. But can “perfect" be a real expectation at all?

I lose sleep at night over this stuff on a daily basis.

Sorry guys, don't know how I missed all these posts. Been off filming for the BBC and didn't get on the forums properly.

I think at 1:09 that may have been a bit of jello as the wind was bouncing off the front of the building. It could also have been a touch of moire or the frame rate also, I'm new to Vimeo and Adobe which doesn't help.

Jello is not acceptable on the shots you want to use IMO. I find my Zenmuse has some vibes in the pan axis when it tries to smooth out your movements so use course-lock often to keep it locked-in.

Benjamin Kenobi

I just had a look through the raw footage and it doesn't have any jello. Must be my poor encoding skills ruining it! Darn, another day playing with export settings!

kloner

Aerial DP
Brian Howard (boredhead), Some cat that was friends with go pro and myself all contributed the aerials in this one.... Fun guys, do it again sometime

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I did this video for myself the other day, just an ordinary flying about video really but the water looks nice on the weir I think.

sk8brd

kloner-sweet moto!. Benjamin-make sure you frame rates match source file. I've had issues before when there was mismatch on export and lead to weird movement.. there's a lot settings when exporting- easy to overlook. i choose youtube preset then up the bit rates manually to get cleaner compression while still keeping the file size a decent size. i export to media encoder from within premiere and let it export while still working on an edit. if you shut down premiere and let media encoder handle the export it's faster then exporting while premiere is open cause more resources can be used i guess.

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey mate. Thanks. I always match the frame rate. It's just one of those weird interplays that happens when putting videos through all these programs and then Vimeo. HeyHo.

Here's another video I did for the BBC this week of Cheltenham Racecourse. They had me flying from a moving car around the racetrack to give a horses-eye view of the jumps. Bloody difficult! They did all the editing. It's on their Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=578660742229073

Cheers!

daniel

i shot this Behind the scenes of the job i did in a film production , with my Hexacopter flying my Sony nex5n at 60fps.....
i wanted to put my black magic pocket in the air, but they wanted 60P......i used the BMPC for the broll...
That gotheliRC brushless gimbal rocks!....
super windy but footage is good, no post stab...

Av8Chuck

B-roll, secondary footage or in this case all the footage that wasn't shot from the air.

Nice footage. Was the moving shot from the hood of the Mustang done with the BMPC?

tonyh0905

First flight with Graupner E props

My first experience with Graupner props was a bit hit and miss. At low to medium rev's they fly really great. They are very smooth taking off, and rock steady in a hover. If I'm flying forward at 50% to 75% throttle, they are still rock steady, and my video is still smooth.

It was when I gave it full throttle that I got a really strong resonant vibration (0:55 sec). I noticed it first when I did a full power vertical climb, and later when I did a high speed forward run....I get the feeling that if I hadn't of backed off when I did, something would have broken.

I re-checked the props when I got home, and confirmed they were well balanced.

http://youtu.be/Cyiku56h80w

All systems have resonant frequencies including entire MR airframes, their components such as propellers etc.
The image here shows the formula for determining the resonant frequency of a simple rocket fin made of carbon fiber.

As you can see the design accommodates extreme speeds but there is always a critical speed point commonly referred to as a destructive frequency or destructive sinusoid... a speed at which the system self-destructs unless you move thru that resonant speed very quickly.... at which point the vibration disappears again!!! Let it fly at the critical speed and your MR will simply disintegrate!!

Obviously your MR will not be travelling at 2100 mph but you get the point!
And this is a crossroad point where most aerial videographers and speed flyers have to decide which way to go!

View attachment 16625

My first experience with Graupner props was a bit hit and miss. At low to medium rev's they fly really great. They are very smooth taking off, and rock steady in a hover. If I'm flying forward at 50% to 75% throttle, they are still rock steady, and my video is still smooth.

It was when I gave it full throttle that I got a really strong resonant vibration (0:55 sec). I noticed it first when I did a full power vertical climb, and later when I did a high speed forward run....I get the feeling that if I hadn't of backed off when I did, something would have broken.

I re-checked the props when I got home, and confirmed they were well balanced.

http://youtu.be/Cyiku56h80w

Attachments

• flutter.JPG
    flutter.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 244

bensid54

I'm not a big one for speed so for a steadier camera do you need bigger props at slower RPM or smaller props at faster RPM to get a more steady fluid camera experience?