Show us your FPV Multicopter

HPL

60 minutes of flight time cut to 6.
The copter is a bit wobbly (good ol KK2) and the Gopro has some jello but some of this is good I think. Not bad since I've flown only 2-3 times fpv in the last year.

Pete

Pretty cool!! I did notice that the fellow who had the less than perfect landing with the hex didn't do any kind of check before relaunching. Seems like it might be a good idea to at least look it over once before blasting off again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Pretty cool!! I did notice that the fellow who had the less than perfect landing with the hex didn't do any kind of check before relaunching. Seems like it might be a good idea to at least look it over once before blasting off again.

That's Stacky. He's a bit strange like that ;)

matwelli

I suppose it struck me because I have been following the threads on regulation and safety concerns.

Yes good point. But being serious for a moment - they are at a designated model flying area out in the countryside so the risk is low. Stacky wouldn't do that when around people and property

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

HPL

Yes good point. But being serious for a moment - they are at a designated model flying area out in the countryside so the risk is low. Stacky wouldn't do that when around people and property

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Personally, although so far I haven't done my first build yet, I think I'd be a bit concerned about it falling on my own head too. With my general luck, if it missed my head, it would probably crash through my truck's window of something.

How much of a whack can the props take before one has to be really concerned?

Efliernz

Pete
Stacky and I did some serious testing and checking with 3 hours at the field. It was minor tip-over. He would have seen the state of the props before lifting off.

We recently discussed a commercial aerial photo-shoot where Stacky decided not to fly in the end due to lack of options / poor risk in the event of an unplanned event. Despite the way it looked, we are both very careful. In fact I am bidding for a long-term progress shoot using a commercial fixed-wing aircraft instead of the model, purely due to safety.

Pete

HPL

Stacky and I did some serious testing and checking with 3 hours at the field. It was minor tip-over. He would have seen the state of the props before lifting off.

We recently discussed a commercial aerial photo-shoot where Stacky decided not to fly in the end due to lack of options / poor risk in the event of an unplanned event. Despite the way it looked, we are both very careful. In fact I am bidding for a long-term progress shoot using a commercial fixed-wing aircraft instead of the model, purely due to safety.

Pete

I wasn't trying to get on you guys. As someone who so far has only flown a Walkera Ladybird I was just wondering how much of a hard landing is actually a HARD landing. At what point does one REALLY need to do a good examination before a re-launch. I keep reading about broken props and the mayhem they cause, so since the props were still spinning I just wondered if that is a concern. While on the subject, I have seen some builds that appear to have plastic props, some seem to have carbon fiber, and some look like wood. How does one make that decision?

Efliernz

Pete
No worries ;) No offence taken.

Plastic vs carbon. A brief summary :D

Plastic is cheap
Plastic are often easy to bend and do not fly as well as firmer blades. Often difficult to get good video due to vibrations. They handle tip-overs and bumps.

APC / GFP are firmer and more expensive but can give you better video results. More likely to fracture in a tip-over

Carbon... high $$$. Bling... look #$%@ awesome! Very high $$$. May be perfectly balanced and very efficient. Strong - but may snap in a second during a tip-over.

Summary... if you are learning to fly with your first diy, plastic for the first few hours. Step into APCs or similar when flight quality counts. Carbon... at $50 each, leave them to the pro's until you think you can justify it!

Pete

HPL

No worries ;) No offence taken.

Plastic vs carbon. A brief summary :D

Plastic is cheap
Plastic are often easy to bend and do not fly as well as firmer blades. Often difficult to get good video due to vibrations. They handle tip-overs and bumps.

APC / GFP are firmer and more expensive but can give you better video results. More likely to fracture in a tip-over

Carbon... high $$$. Bling... look #$%@ awesome! Very high $$$. May be perfectly balanced and very efficient. Strong - but may snap in a second during a tip-over.

Summary... if you are learning to fly with your first diy, plastic for the first few hours. Step into APCs or similar when flight quality counts. Carbon... at $50 each, leave them to the pro's until you think you can justify it!

Pete

What's APC/GFP?

AIRCONROB

Just thought I should put my first FPV copter to this collection, been looking and reading through this forum and have seen some great ideas, I just love seeing all different builds as It helps me a lot towards my ones. So here is some pics of my TBS modification.

View attachment 10223View attachment 10224View attachment 10225Just getting ready for its first maiden, waiting for better weather.

Cheers

Rob.

Attachments

• 20130312_213341.jpg
    20130312_213341.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 20130312_215224.jpg
    20130312_215224.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 20130312_215242.jpg
    20130312_215242.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 497

AIRCONROB

nice, what clamps and booms are those?

Sorry kloner, missed your post mate, The clamps are of the AD4 Droidworks frames. The only thing I had to ream out on to frame was about 1 mm out and the bottom plate 1 mm in to make the outer clamps fit snug.

View attachment 10229View attachment 10230 Hope thin helps If not, let me know and I'll post some more detailed pics, It's just something I have thought of doing myself just being different. The only ugly thing about it all was the bolts and nuts.

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• 20130126_232420.jpg
    20130126_232420.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 519
  • 20130310_190944.jpg
    20130310_190944.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 544

SamaraMedia

Here's my modified FPV with Alexmos control and DIY gimbal. Think I'm going to add beefier motors with the added weight of gimbal and larger battery to offset the COG.

View attachment 12183

John

Attachments

• SBG01.jpg
    SBG01.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 469