Setting up retractable landing gear when using sbus port

I'm currently using my Taranis frsky and xr8 receiver on a dji 450 quad with a Naza V2 gps. I'm using the sbus port to connect to the Naza.

I just purchased a set of retractable legs: two servos with a "Y" harness going into one connector.

So my question:

If I'm using my sbus port now & want to use one of the open channels for the 3rd party landing gear, how do I program the TX to flip them on & off? (or up and down)

So, technically - if I'm using the sbus port, can I also use one of the other open plugs (1-8)? how do you go about doing that?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Are you currently using all 8 channels?

If not, I think most people set it up to a 2 way switch (up and down). If you have all 8 used already, if taranis is anything like futaba you can change the "mode" of your receiver ( futaba is A-D) to allow you to use the remaining 7 outputs from the receiver.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
No not using em all. Can I use the sbus and one of the individual slots together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: I just googled it. It says it's a 16 channel receiver - so that means it's possible. Check the manual for the correct mode.

you need to check the manual for the receiver to see if there are modes that allow that. With futaba there definitely is.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

If only it was that easy. I have the FrSky Taranis and the document they provide as a "manual" is not very helpful. It doesn't appear that you can use the SBUS and the standard 8 chanels at the same time, but it's hard to tell. View attachment 16813

I've attached the "Manual" :upset:

Attachments

• X8R.pdf
    502.5 KB · Views: 981

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Man! I thought the Futaba manual was bad. This one could be considered an "afterthought!" :)

Well, it's not like these little things are responsible for expensive, complicated crafts staying in the air....oh wait! It's pretty ridiculous that these companies don't hire manual writers.

Hi GoMotoMoto!

When using the Taranis with the Naza most people bind channels 1-8 to SBUS which means channels 9-16 you can use for whatever you want. I think the easiest method is probably to get a Y harness like with ailerons on a plane into whatever channel. From there you can go to the corresponding channetl (we will use channel 9 as an example) and set the correct endpoints to correspond with any switch. You could even hook it up to a top or side slider if you so choose! There is probably an easier way and I am sure someone with more experience will correct me but I would set the end point at top of switch and bottom at bottom. Hope this helps!

If only it was that easy. I have the FrSky Taranis and the document they provide as a "manual" is not very helpful. It doesn't appear that you can use the SBUS and the standard 8 chanels at the same time, but it's hard to tell. View attachment 20834

I've attached the "Manual" :upset:

SoCal, I'm being told that you can use the SBUS and the other 8 available channels. I'm still wrapping my mind around it, so proceed with that in mind:

"If you have the Naza on Sbus Channels 1 to 7 (which is the usual setup) then all you have to do is rebind the RX to channels 9 - 16 with the Tx set to D16 and channels 1 - 16.. The Naza should still be OK all that will have changed is the RX pin outputs will now respond to channels 9 on 1 ,10 on 2 ........ 8 on 16.
You must have the jumpers on when binding."

"Then choose a channel between 9 and 16 you want to plug your retracts to, and add a mix on it to control it with the switch you want."

Let's simplify this and cover our bases. when you bind the tx with NO jumper it standardizes the SBUS portion of the receiver to channels 1-8 (Trust me I have this setup and have done this exact thing). All this means is that SBUS is 1-8 and the remaining channels that are open (the traditional 1-8) are NOW channels 9-16. You can control anything you would like from those channels but in the tx you need to set them up on the corresponding channels.

Example: If you plug the Y harnes mentioned above to "Channel 1" you will go into channel 9 under your selected model and mixer page in the menu. From there create a mix for channel 9 (lets use SD). Set the top of the switch to be retracted using the endpoint selection. From there create a sub-mix to SD and make it so that at the bottom position the landing gear is down.

The Taranis is confusing at first and is VERY literal. The options are ENDLESS you just have to setup EVERY little detail. If you need further help just let me know. This should be a VERY easy setup in the Taranis :). Don't get frustrated it took me like 5 hours to first setup my NAZA lol! but after those first 5 hours with the Taranis it was cake doing everything else I wanted with all my aircraft. Setup times for Brand new models from scratch for me is like 5-10 minutes tops including binding and more! Keep it up and update us on any hiccups!

SoCal Blur

Let's simplify this and cover our bases. when you bind the tx with NO jumper it standardizes the SBUS portion of the receiver to channels 1-8 (Trust me I have this setup and have done this exact thing). All this means is that SBUS is 1-8 and the remaining channels that are open (the traditional 1-8) are NOW channels 9-16. You can control anything you would like from those channels but in the tx you need to set them up on the corresponding channels.

Example: If you plug the Y harnes mentioned above to "Channel 1" you will go into channel 9 under your selected model and mixer page in the menu. From there create a mix for channel 9 (lets use SD). Set the top of the switch to be retracted using the endpoint selection. From there create a sub-mix to SD and make it so that at the bottom position the landing gear is down.

The Taranis is confusing at first and is VERY literal. The options are ENDLESS you just have to setup EVERY little detail. If you need further help just let me know. This should be a VERY easy setup in the Taranis :). Don't get frustrated it took me like 5 hours to first setup my NAZA lol! but after those first 5 hours with the Taranis it was cake doing everything else I wanted with all my aircraft. Setup times for Brand new models from scratch for me is like 5-10 minutes tops including binding and more! Keep it up and update us on any hiccups!

Okay, now that little chart on the "manual" is starting to make more sense. The only thing that I find confusing with what you are saying is that I bound my RX without a jumper. But channels 1-8 still act like 1-8, not 9-16. Are you saying that you have to go in to the menu and reassign 1-8 to 9-16? I don't need the extra channels..I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Hi there!

No I am saying that 1-8 are assigned to the SBUS. This means that the 1-8 that is open to plug servos in is NOW 9-16. This is where you plug your retracts into. Plug them in to channel 1 (now 9) and setup as I previously mentioned.

Hi there!

No I am saying that 1-8 are assigned to the SBUS. This means that the 1-8 that is open to plug servos in is NOW 9-16. This is where you plug your retracts into. Plug them in to channel 1 (now 9) and setup as I previously mentioned.

Good stuff! Very clear post man. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Problem! Just post here or PM me if anything else arises! Also please post a pic or a vid of the finished product!!!!! We love pics :)
P.S. Another good tip incase you need 16 channels on a plane or craft that needs 16 ports. This is where you can bind two 8XRs together. You don't need to with SBUS but do if you have to plug things into each of the 16 channels.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

No Problem! Just post here or PM me if anything else arises! Also please post a pic or a vid of the finished product!!!!! We love pics :)
P.S. Another good tip incase you need 16 channels on a plane or craft that needs 16 ports. This is where you can bind two 8XRs together. You don't need to with SBUS but do if you have to plug things into each of the 16 channels.

Maybe you should offer your services to FrSky to rewrite their "manuals?"

Maybe you should offer your services to FrSky to rewrite their "manuals?"

Lol thanks for the praise! There are many more skilled people than myself doing these out there :). If you have more issues though I would have no problem sending you a solution or a link to one :)

SoCal Blur

Lol thanks for the praise! There are many more skilled people than myself doing these out there :). If you have more issues though I would have no problem sending you a solution or a link to one :)

Thanks. I don't need more than 8 channels currently so I was fine with the basic set up. I just didn't quite get that chart but honestly I didn't spend too much time trying to digest it. After you explained it a bit, though... then it started to make more sense. I did watch a video on binding two 8XR receivers to use 16 physical channels and that one is a little bit more tricky but it works.

jdwomack

Hello folks,

I am setting up the same landing gear switch with the same components, but my question involves the difference between digital and analog retracts/servos. My new retracts have red/white/black wires coming from the controller... is this compatible with the X8R receiver? if so, do i just plug this into the number 9 (old number 1) channel on the X8R?

Cameraj

What is the best way to setup my futaba 8fg to use tarot retracts? I'm using pitch on my receiver to my camera gimbal now and a two position video switch from the fpv camera to the hero camera.

ozzdownunder

Hi, I must be a slow learner. I own a DJI F450, Naza V2, Zenmuse Gimbal, Futaba 8FG Transmitter with a R6208SB (SBus) receiver. Other than the SBus from the Naza nothing else is connected to the RX. I am in the process of installing a retractable landing skid that came with the Y cable. But before I connect anything I like to be certain that I am doing it cor rectly rather than being sorry later for not doing the homework. Are there any videos for the dummies like me that require simplicity, step by step procedure would be very useful. I did search the www but came up with nothing that provided me with the confidence to proceed. Hence the reason why I am trying this forum, any input is appreciated, tx View attachment 25996

Attachments

• FUTABA_R6208SB.jpg
    FUTABA_R6208SB.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 480

Dylan M

Which Switch...
The confusion is if you are using it in D8 1-8 mode then the 8 SBUS channels are mirrored on the 8 outputs. if you want separate 9-16 you will need to select it when you bind the Rx. Most of the time I just bind like this and pick a channel I'm not using anyway... then no need to mess with 9-16 mess and setting up all that stuff and you can trigger things together via sbus and normal channel output...

Without looking, I think it is D16 9- 16 mode, it will say that on the Taranis when binding.

Once you learn this Tx, you will wonder how you lived without it for so long... or atleast I did.