S800 alternative props

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I think that even when you have the right GPS unit. There is no point in taking public risks unless you are serious about doing this to earn money. A lot of testing first and a ops. routine that is as near risk free as you can get it. I think I did about a hundred flights with different set-ups before going public with the s800. I do hope that DJI will pour the money they made selling the many S800's into making reliability the number one objective. There is still some way to go. Too many variables for the less experienced to get wrong. We see far too many bells and whistles that are not needed, Basics right first. What is the point of having autonomous waypoint functionality when the dam thing cant even hold a reliable hover 10 feet away. Having made the statement that there is nothing wrong with the S800 airframe would suggest that the vibration levels are of insignificant importance. I have to disagree.

We are all on a collision course. where accident reports will meet with greater legislation and only the few will be allowed to operate outside of model club flying sites. So far I think we have all been very lucky that a major incident has not happened. Not only DJI have put us at risk. The market is awash with bad stuff that is sold for the hobby market that gets used at the pro end.

Japp took you advice and didn't want to risk anything. Just did some Gopro action with the small TBS. Felt a lot safer than with a big one around the people and the explosions etc.

View attachment 7390

Boris

Attachments

• vatrogasni_sustav8_530267S0.jpg
    vatrogasni_sustav8_530267S0.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 208

vislaw

Guys, the head of one of the two prop mounting screws is stripped on one of my S800 arms and I'm stumped at how to get it out since it is flush with the cap of the prop holder. Does anybody know if you can get a tiny "screw tap" to be able to remove the sucker? Or is there another technique that I might try? Thanks for any help you can give me!

DennyR

I guess you are talking about the thread into the motor. With my prop. adapters you could try mounting with just two opposing screws. Normally the hex. drive of the DJI screws is very poor and this strips before the thread. A heat gun and some multi grips could pull the sucker out. Failing that the only solution is to spark erode it.

Today marked the passing of 200 successful flights with my production S800 package and the first customer took delivery after two days of intense flight testing and training. Both he and the model performed perfectly. This one is going to Moscow where a top pro shooter will use it to good effect no doubt.....

vislaw

I guess you are talking about the thread into the motor. With my prop. adapters you could try mounting with just two opposing screws. Normally the hex. drive of the DJI screws is very poor and this strips before the thread. A heat gun and some multi grips could pull the sucker out. Failing that the only solution is to spark erode it.. ...

Many thanks Denny and CONGRATS for the 200 flights. That is awesome. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'll try the heat gun/multi grips as I don't even know what "spark erode" is but it sounds like something I don't want to know about either! You're my favorite poster here and you've helped me immensely on several occasions ... so THANK YOU!!!!

Mark

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Denny is that production s800 comes with the nano carbon mod? Congats

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ChrisViperM

Just found this on another forum:

http://shop.r-g.de/en/Reinforcement...-hoses/Carbon-fibre-braided-sleeve-35-mm.html

The guy over there used it to reinforce the arms of the S800.....apperantely this sleeve gets pulled over the arm (like a sock), thens gets soaked with resin and on top of it he puts a heat-shrink tube until the resin is cured....

Now my question is: what kind of resin to use (there is millions of different resins), and is it a good idea altogether....?

PS: reading the description of the "sock" again makes me think the resin is already "in" the sock....?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Yes Jeff the production batch has carbon Nano tube reinforcement plus a few other mods.
I ran all day for two days and the Motors and ESC's hardly get warm. The APC's are the way to go for sure, I was getting 20 mins plus from the 11 Amp Maxamps. I do have a rule about the modes we fly. I always take off in Atti and never change during flight. All other bells and whistles are disabled. FWIW....
Battery warning only.....

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Yes Jeff the production batch has carbon Nano tube reinforcement plus a few other mods.
I ran all day for two days and the Motors and ESC's hardly get warm. The APC's are the way to go for sure, I was getting 20 mins plus from the 11 Amp Maxamps. I do have a rule about the modes we fly. I always take off in Atti and never change during flight. All other bells and whistles are disabled. FWIW....
Battery warning only.....

Hmmm, still waiting for DJI to check my s800 but if no luck maybe I should get my next s800 from you :). I still have zenmuse waiting to be plugged in for the.first time

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Eoin

Hey all,
A set of Dennys prop adaptors are currently winging their way to me. This is a very interesting thread.
So now that a lot of the props have been tried out, what's the consensus in regard to the best ones ? Personally I'm looking for smooth and stable on my S800. APC, Xoar or Graupner ?
Eoin

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
I got to do a short test flight this afternoon with the props I mentioned in a previous reply and have to say OMG!!! Everything is just so much smoother! They are XMHobbies 15x5's from: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2351/xmhobbies-Carbon-Fiber-Propeller/Detail

Stiffer, quieter, smoother, all around just made me feel much more confident. Only thing is I am still testing my WKM so until I'm satisfied with it's perfomance I'll be flying the DJI props so they will exchange it in case of FOD...

Eoin

Thanks APVXtreme,
Having just re-read all 38 pages of this thread I have decided to give the APC's a try first. Would like to try the Graupners but I agree with Denny in regards to safety. Blunting the APC's will be my first priority !
Eoin

DennyR

I guess with the new GPS units coming through The S800's should all be flying again soon.

Getting a few reports that the Xoar 15x5 is well worth a try. I do prefer the idea of light wood as opposed to carbon. I still have a few adapters left but probably wont be making too many more as this must be the saturation point.:tennis:

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess with the new GPS units coming through The S800's should all be flying again soon.

Getting a few reports that the Xoar 15x5 is well worth a try. I do prefer the idea of light wood as opposed to carbon. I still have a few adapters left but probably wont be making too many more as this must be the saturation point.:tennis:

If you own an S800 and you have not bought Denny's prop adapters you are missing out. Once I installed these on my otherwise problematic S800 it made a world of difference. The convenience of being able to buy props that function BETTER at a fraction of the price is only the start of it. Smooth video is what I was really after and I finally have it. No regrets here. Thanks again, Denny.

nisouck

If you own an S800 and you have not bought Denny's prop adapters you are missing out. Once I installed these on my otherwise problematic S800 it made a world of difference. The convenience of being able to buy props that function BETTER at a fraction of the price is only the start of it. Smooth video is what I was really after and I finally have it. No regrets here. Thanks again, Denny.

Could tell again how and where it is possible to buy some of these?

Thanks in adavance.

Could tell again how and where it is possible to buy some of these?

Thanks in adavance.

Just contact DennyR, three posts above this one. He'll get you squared away. I just came back in from shooting a little video and was yet again very impressed by how much smoother everything it with Denny's Prop adapters and the APC props. You can buy 6 APC 14X4.7 props for roughly the same price as one of those "mix-master" CF props. You can use other props as well so that part is up to you. Enjoy the improvement!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Does anybody know what is new ?

Fritz

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/wkm/en/Wookong_M_product_release_notes_en.pdf

• What’s changed?
    • Attitude is controllable when one power output of Hexa-motor is failed in Atti. Mode and GPS Atti. Mode, including Hexa-rotor IY and Hexa-rotor Y.
    • When one power output of Hexa-motor is failed in Atti. Mode and GPS Atti. Mode, Hexa-rotor I and Hexa-rotor V will spin to keep the aircraft stable.
      What’s new?
    • S-bus2 receiver is supported for D-Bus port.
    • Height limit is added in the Tool.

Boris