Aeronavics / Droidworx Ryan`s SkyJib V2 build blog...

crcr

The boards cost just under $1100 euros inc shipping. Which is about the cost of 17 CC ice 50s. Im queit excited to work out how to put everything together and get it in the air.

Whats are the real advantages over Standard ESC's? I guessing you need 2 boards? which is 2200 euros?

It was just under 1100 euros all up for both boards. For this set up the advantage is having a quality esc that works with ys-x6. CC esc`s don't work with ys-x6. Hurkules saves weight, is compact, has high refresh rate, made from high quality components. And some other safety bits.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks so much BorisS :)

Okay:

View attachment 8964

1. Concerning the ESC connections from FC to Herks. You can leave the servo cables the way they are no air cutting etc. The Adapter board Servo plus to Micromatch/ribbon cable already take care to let through the connections that are need.
For example one could solder jumpers on the Adapter board but in your case leave it untouched !

2. Connectint the motors to the ECS you dont have to keep the arrangement that M1 has to be connected to ESC unit A on the herklues it doesnt matter. What is essential in the case of an V octo setup it that you let M1 M2 M5 and M6 run over one board and M3 M4 M7 M8 run over the other board.
If in any case one of the boards shuts down completely you at least have something like a quad in the air. And not a rotating disk that you can't control.

3. You don't have to fly with 2 lipos than only connect one power cable and isolate the other !

4. Ribbon cable and ESC servo cables best if you keep as short as possible.

View attachment 8965View attachment 8966
Redoing completely my setup, but i made the decision to mount them under the center plate to be close to the lipos, safe and mount the vibrations mounts just for them.

Adapters and than to the FC in this case WKM.

View attachment 8967View attachment 8968

Boris

Attachments

• ConnectionsRyan.jpg
    ConnectionsRyan.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 228
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 230
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 221
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 239
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 342

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
One more thing. Concerning the arrangement of the motors v config octo etc. I don't now which routines your FC has when one motor goes out or the whole board ( one herk ) would shut down. But i think the approach of having a XY quad left over is probably the best !

Don't go the troublesome way of checking before you hook up the motors to the ESC unit A and is it already hook up correct the the ESC cable for M1 etc. Just go sure motors M1 M2 M5 M6 are on one board and the others on the second. Do the ribbon cable adapter connections and than test motor for motor.
Take the Servo ESC cable that are coming from the adapter for board I were the motors M1 M2 M5 M6 should be on and just connect any servo ESC plug to your ESC fire it up and see which motor spins if it M5 spinning up you know that servo plug has to go to ESC port M5 on the FC. Stick it in m5 on the FC and do the next servo ESC cable to check which mtors it is and so on. Test your way through, writing it up before is a clean way but won't give you the safety that its all correct, testing it out one by one will !

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

With the ribbon cable, which of the connections do i need?
There are 4 different wiring options on andreas website, Im unsure which one is best?
I know that m1,2,5,6 plug into one of the micromatch connections and m3,4,7,8 to the other. But on his website it talks about there being 8 connections to each of those micromatch plugs. Do I use the ground cable?
It shows things like I2C_SCL, I2C_SDA, VAUX(I know this one has something to do with power, lol) and of course the GND.

Say im using two batteries, then through the graupner air module and then through the emcotec switch do i only need to feed power to one set of the herk cables not both? Do you think soldering all four cables to the emcotec switch would help spread the load, or would it not be needed?

Cheers for the explaination and the image, helps so much.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
With the ribbon cable, which of the connections do i need?
There are 4 different wiring options on andreas website, Im unsure which one is best?
I know that m1,2,5,6 plug into one of the micromatch connections and m3,4,7,8 to the other. But on his website it talks about there being 8 connections to each of those micromatch plugs. Do I use the ground cable?
It shows things like I2C_SCL, I2C_SDA, VAUX(I know this one has something to do with power, lol) and of course the GND.

Say im using two batteries, then through the graupner air module and then through the emcotec switch do i only need to feed power to one set of the herk cables not both? Do you think soldering all four cables to the emcotec switch would help spread the load, or would it not be needed?

Cheers for the explaination and the image, helps so much.

First thing you have to do is but on the mircomatch cable to the ribbon cable the length you need them. Forget any instructions on Andreas Baiers page that have to do with I2C thats the mikrokopter ESC protocol and has nothing to do with our PPM/PWM connection to the ESCs.
Don't worry about cutting any cable or selecting specific ones.

Wait Ill draw something in detail one sec.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
View attachment 8969no worries:

Don't get mixed up with the diagrams on Andreas Baiers Website they are toward I2c protocol has nothing todo with what you are doing.

Attachments

• ConnectionsRyan2.jpg
    ConnectionsRyan2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 319

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

That gonna be a little bit of a hassle !

Hmm if you are using one Current sensor and one safety switch thing, its gonna be a hassle bringing together the two set of lipo cables from the Herks to meet the switch and than the sensor and then splitting them again for two lipos is just loads of weight and cable added.
It would be better to have just one little bigger AWG coming from the Herks and than doing the split after the you sensor switch. But ask Andreas about that i am not sure how he connected them or if he thinks that one cable to run the herks with a HL 8x KW 10 would be enough.

I don't have a switch like you. I use both lipos cable both of them hook up to two Jeti sensors which won't give me a separate voltage readout only the draw.

I think :) I hope only had it hooked up to one up to now over a regulated power supply.

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

Well that makes it about 1000x simpler, i was freaking out about which cables to use and all of that. what timing are you using for the kw10 motors? are you using active freewheeling?
Do I need to connect a battery to the herk board to program?
Any other settings other than motor timing and active freewheeling and the actual firmware; I need to know about?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Yes the programming procedure is the following. You connect over the USB to micro match program cable to the Herks. Install the driver if you haven't yet. Start the flashing firmware for the Herks, choose the right FW choose one of the ESC units that you want to flash. A B C D etc. and press flash. It will say something like waiting or connecting and add power to the herks. The flash procedure should start. Diconnect the power and check on the second screen if the procedure worked out. Do that for all the units.

Take the PPM 18 freewheeling ON firmware for the KW10s. No further setting !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Well that makes it about 1000x simpler, i was freaking out about which cables to use and all of that. what timing are you using for the kw10 motors? are you using active freewheeling?
Do I need to connect a battery to the herk board to program?
Any other settings other than motor timing and active freewheeling and the actual firmware; I need to know about?

Or actually i am not sure if they pre programmed them. Could be that they tested them before an then probably with the PPM FW. I would redo it though that you know for sure what it on !

Boris

In the PPM folder I have two other folders ADV18 and ADV16, each has a different firmware. Which one of these do I use. Had a look on the website to check and it mentions nothing.
The full names of the files are:
HKIIIv3_SW095_PPM_AFW1_kHz16_ADV12_GAS1020_STK1100_900_TMP90.acy
HKIIIv3_SW095_PPM_AFW1_kHz16_ADV18_GAS1020_STK1100_900_TMP90.acy

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
In the PPM folder I have two other folders ADV18 and ADV16, each has a different firmware. Which one of these do I use. Had a look on the website to check and it mentions nothing.
The full names of the files are:
HKIIIv3_SW095_PPM_AFW1_kHz16_ADV12_GAS1020_STK1100_900_TMP90.acy

Last email I got from Andreas he said;

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
If you have a regulated power supply that detects shorts and it stable use that instead of a lipo for flashing !

Boris

Boards are programmed tomorow Il start hooking up the motors and setting up ys-x6. Does any one know if the emcotec switch unit could possibly create interference with the imu?