Aeronavics / Droidworx Ryan`s SkyJib V2 build blog...

The SkyJib 8 V2 is here.

I opted for a somewhat of a different set up to what a lot of people have built on here so far.

There are a few reasons that made the Skyjib the obvious choice for me, such as pack down ability and the quick release gimbal mount. Transport is a big factor when you have something this large.
Not to mention the design features of the Skyjib such as crash cage which doubles as a bracing for the booms, making a much stronger and stiffer multirotor.

Here are a few other parts:
YS-X6
KopterWorx KW-10 Motors
6s batterys
Xoar 15x5 props
Cinestar 3 Axis Gimbal

I wanted a very efficient machine and I think I've selected the best parts to give me long flight times.
So Stay tuned and let the build begin.

First off I need to modify the DroidWorx Gimbal mount as its pre drilled for PhotoHigher Gimbals.

They do, im unsure it its compatible with the new Skyjib, i believe they changed the diameter of the rods. I could be wrong though.
But anyway for 325.00 Euros its crazy expensive for something I can fix for say $20

nicwilke

Subscribed. I've got my YS-X6 setup pretty nice now.
The GPS sits great on the crash cage. Datalink feedback to the GCS shows vibration is really low (acceptable is under 10, mine is 0 to 1). The Skyjib looks incredible.

Last edited by a moderator:

I had considered mounting the gps down on the boom. do you think there is any benefit to having it a bit further away?

nicwilke

I had considered mounting the gps down on the boom. do you think there is any benefit to having it a bit further away?

Considering the GPS antenna is also the compass, I'd not put it nearer the motors. Its on the mast to keep it away from the EMF, so I'd not put it closer to the motors (only my opinion). I see many people placing the GPS pods from WKM and Zero on the boom so probably doesn't matter that much. Are you photo bloggin' this, some progressive shots would be interesting.

Ok, Il put it on the cage and maybe do some tests on one of the booms also. Just to see if theres any difference.
I will be taking a fair amount of photos as I go. I didn't get a chance to work on the mount today so tomorrow il get some photos up after I make some progress on it.

Ive Made some progress. First I cut a square hole out of the SkyJib Gimbal mounting plate, which was pre drilled for PhotoHigher Gimbals. Then I cut a piece of carbon fiber plate to sit inside the gimbal mount, then marked and drilled the corresponding holes for the Cinestar 3 axis gimbal. I used some epoxy glue to secure the carbon plate. It still looks a bit rough, Il paint the alloy mount after the epoxy has fully set.
View attachment 7559View attachment 7560

While the glue sets I started on the motors, I added some mesh over the cables where they fold inside the booms, just incase they rub against the carbon. I changed the motor nuts to nylock ones and added the mount boots.
View attachment 7558

Attachments

• _MG_2904.jpg
    _MG_2904.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 321
  • _MG_2905.jpg
    _MG_2905.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 375
  • _MG_2907.jpg
    _MG_2907.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited by a moderator:

Looking good. If you can braid the wires a little for less magnetic interference.
Not a day goes by that I don't regret selling my YS-X6 and keeping the if you are feeling lucky today Wkm ;-)

Today I braided the motor wires and installed the motors on the booms. Ive also got some Ultracote fluro orange covering film to put over the two booms with orange boots,
View attachment 7569View attachment 7570View attachment 7571

Next up I started working on the Cinestar 3- Axis gimbal. I added some airplane wheels on the bottom of the landing gear to hopefully avoid tipping over if I land on a bit of an angle.
I used some velcro to attach the Freefly HMDI converter, I didnt see the point in spending $50+30 shipping(to New Zealand), on a Freefly HDMi mount.
Next I added the Radians and the correct resistors, but I shortened the cables and soldered them in place.
Finally I started adding servo mesh overtop of the cables to clean everything up.
View attachment 7572View attachment 7573View attachment 7574View attachment 7575View attachment 7576

Heres what the Gimbal mounts looking like now, I gave it a spray with some matt black paint to clean it up.
View attachment 7577View attachment 7578

Attachments

• _MG_2909.jpg
    _MG_2909.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 458
  • _MG_2910.jpg
    _MG_2910.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 318
  • _MG_2911.jpg
    _MG_2911.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 295
  • _MG_2913.jpg
    _MG_2913.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 325
  • _MG_2914.jpg
    _MG_2914.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 303
  • _MG_2915.jpg
    _MG_2915.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 351
  • _MG_2916.jpg
    _MG_2916.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 341
  • _MG_2918.jpg
    _MG_2918.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 393
  • _MG_2920.jpg
    _MG_2920.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 512
  • _MG_2921.jpg
    _MG_2921.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 465

nicwilke

Today I braided the motor wires and installed the motors on the booms. Ive also got some Ultracote fluro orange covering film to put over the two booms with orange boots,
View attachment 9792View attachment 9793View attachment 9794

Next up I started working on the Cinestar 3- Axis gimbal. I added some airplane wheels on the bottom of the landing gear to hopefully avoid tipping over if I land on a bit of an angle.
I used some velcro to attach the Freefly HMDI converter, I didnt see the point in spending $50+30 shipping(to New Zealand), on a Freefly HDMi mount.
Next I added the Radians and the correct resistors, but I shortened the cables and soldered them in place.
Finally I started adding servo mesh overtop of the cables to clean everything up.
View attachment 9795View attachment 9796View attachment 9797View attachment 9798View attachment 9799

Heres what the Gimbal mounts looking like now, I gave it a spray with some matt black paint to clean it up.
View attachment 9800View attachment 9801

Looking great Ryan, The quick hitch is pretty cool eh?