Ronin m $1399. Wow.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
If you ever plan on flying it, why would you want the extra 2lbs (dry weight) of the ronin over a Gremsy H6? For handheld it matters a little less but still the point remains. Why would you carry extra 2lbs of weight that you could have avoided. Also worth considering the H3 for smaller dslr work, it is supposed to be under $1k USD.

For perspective, the new H16 gimbal that Gremsy is releasing this year will weigh the same as this 'Ronin M' yet it can carry twice the weight...

Full disclosure: I own a Gremsy H14. I love it and it has never let me down. Also, Gremsy customer service is legendary. Good luck with DJI if you have an issue... I even had issues with contacting FreeFly back in the Cinestar days... I still cringe when I hear the word Radian...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Infamous support notwithstanding, I think it's less about wanting to fly the extra weight, and more about NOT wanting to pay more money :)

With my hex, I could eat the additional weight the way it stands, so while not ideal, it could be done.

Glad to hear you've been having good luck with the H14. Are you flying it or handheld only?

Dylan M

Which Switch...
Infamous support notwithstanding, I think it's less about wanting to fly the extra weight, and more about NOT wanting to pay more money :)

With my hex, I could eat the additional weight the way it stands, so while not ideal, it could be done.

Glad to hear you've been having good luck with the H14. Are you flying it or handheld only?

Flying and handheld.

It isn't so much about weight you can carry, it is more about dropping weight you don't need to carry. To some people that extra minute of flight time or less wear on the rig is worth the extra money. I have 2 rigs that are each capable of over 70lbs of thrust, that doesn't mean that I want them carrying extra weight if I can avoid it...

That said, I understand that the price difference is not insignificant...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Right. I don't anyone is looking to bloat the rig uneccessarily, but the cost savings is pretty real for many.

That said, it really seems that there are some great options that should work for almost every price range and weight limit. Very exciting time.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
It is just the beginning of this technology explosion too, I bet it will end up benefiting us, that more people are picking them up for handheld use...

It would be interesting to know what percentage of gimbal users only use it handheld?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
If the DHL driver isn't a moron my Gremsy H6 should be here today. I have a meeting with a client at 3pm and if this driver doesn't leave the package (which I have "OK'ed" and signed up my address as "OK to leave without signature" ) I'm going to go ballistic.

econfly

It is just the beginning of this technology explosion too, I bet it will end up benefiting us, that more people are picking them up for handheld use...

It would be interesting to know what percentage of gimbal users only use it handheld?

I got an M5 last year fully intending to fly it. Work got busy, winter hit, and only now am I getting back to a build to fly the M5. In the mean time, I've used it handheld and having had that option I really don't want to give it up. If I'm shooting video of anything and not on a tripod I want the M5. It's just so nice to be able to move around and get professional looking results. Plus, the handles are a great rigging option. I mount an Atomos ninja blade for video, a Zoom audio recorder with a shotgun, and with the GH4 it all comes together for very neat results.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
econfly: You're ahead of the curve, my friend... once people realize how much it can streamline workflows it will become even more popular. Saves a lot of time transitioning between shooting methods. Not to mention the add-ons like a Zoom or any of the SSD video recorders. I wish somebody would build in hd sdi/hdmi thru the tilt and roll bars for cleaner setups, but I guess that is a little too OCD...

econfly

Yup. I wish every gimbal out there would push some form of HD video, 3-wire servo cable (for s-bus), and, in a perfect world, 12v power with ability to carry a few amps, through the gimbal up to the copter. On the gimbal put nice clean ports on the camera cage for these. That would be perfect.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
^^+1

I'd vote for it...

As far as OCD being a virtue, I'm sold on it... but good luck convincing the old lady...

Ross Mackay

Hi everyone, this is a great thread and one I have been looking for a while now. Any news on the H6 Vs Ronin m battle? There are a large amount of Ronin m's in the industry now but damned if I can find any footage of them being flown?! Does anyone know of any? The Ronin m is a good prospect for me plug n play (much like the P3) I just want to know if it will fly ok? And I can buy it for $2200NZD which is really good. But Gremsy would be GST and duty + exchange rate, kinda kills it for me.

I have been using a XPro heli SILK gimbal for a while now (90% handheld, 10% air) and the results are ok, I have mod'd it pretty heavily though to be up to the task. Its limiting for camera size - it pretty much only takes the GH4/A7S but on the nice side it only weights 1kg. Its just a battle to get it tuned.

Has anyone here used or using the Phobotic CP? I have one here sitting in a box...

Ross Mackay

If you are only flying a gh4 then you should be looking into the H3 when it comes out...
thanks @Dylan M, I am really trying cover a few more bases with camera options, hence looking at slightly bigger gimbals than the SILK. If I could fly up to a BMCC/C100 for my personal work that would be great. My new X8 should be able to fly from a GH4 to a stripped down RED/m10 (at client requests).

The H3 does look nice though. How has the gremsy been working for you in general? Drift issues? One of my bigger clients has M10/RED and really wants dynamic movements from an aerial platform, sort of trying to satisfy their needs and my own with one heli (and multiple mounting/gimbal options). Thanks for your reply, Ross.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
Owning a servo based gimbal really makes any brushless gimbal feel like a godsend...

In all seriousness, I have had a great experience with the H14.

Honestly most people might not admit this... It has been dropped from lets just say over 10ft (by me, so I can't even blame anybody else). I cleaned the dirt of it and rebalanced to make sure it was all good, the ole girl fired right back up and still works beautifully even with her battle scars. Camera mounting plate even helped protect my glass...

It seems like the key with the Gremsy systems most important is getting a good calibration when it initially turns on... as long as you take care of that then it will take care of you. I don't get compensated for any of this(unfortunately), but the guys at Gremsy are awesome with helping solve any problems.

When the H16 comes out I will probably buy one. Partially because it will run on 4s which can also power Red. As you said it helps to cover s few bases...

Strongly recommend against any DJI gimbal though, everybody buying a Ronin has obviously never owned a Zenmuse...