Ronin m $1399. Wow.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I saw the same thing and was shocked.

No idea how this will hold up to aerial challenges, but for a gimbal with dedicated, specifically designed controller, the price is potentially a game changer.

Pumpkinguy

Game changer was the word I was gonna use. I believe this was a strategic price to hurt the little guys out there. Dji can definitely take advantage of "economy of scale" and sell a million of these at $1400 rather than 50,000 @ $2000.
You gotta wonder if it will be as good as some other non gps gimbals out there.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have been following along with the GPS conversations you all have been having. I absolutely understand the advantages GPS may provide, but with the price of the Movi 5, but that's just out of my budget.

If my of these other options provide predominantly good footage, or perhaps need a bit more finesse to the flying, I'll have to live with that.

Pumpkinguy

I don't see any accesories listed so as of now there is no way to mount to a MR. I would need the male portion of the quick release. (Dovetail thingy)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It's definitely not as easy to slap on a dampener plate like the Gremsy. I wonder if they will keep this as hand-only gimbal so as not to compete with the Zenmuse. If the release of the Phantom 3 so close to the Inspire is any indication, that might not be something they think through :)

econfly

I would never buy a DJI product based on future firmware promises. But for $1,399 -- wow. That will put the hurt on the competition for sure.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
This is great for the DSLR's but at 4.5lbs the Gremsy H14 is still a rocking it for $2900. Red epic, ARRi all day long...

I wonder if the full size Ronin "lite" is coming soon?
Hmmmm.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This is whole different beast Sleepy. The full size gremsy is reported to have issues with the small cameras, so this is slipping in closer to the H3/6 range. No news on the H3 price, but at $1400, DJI have certainly thrown down the gauntlet.

Sadly, DJI can't be trusted to do firmware updates that would make this product usable for the majority here.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I saw that on their Facebook group. The H14 is larger than I'd personally ever need. I love the idea of options, but I can admit to myself I'll never be flying anything larger than a DSLR.

And frankly, it seems the market is heading the other way - with the BM smaller cam being the first that is embracing bare bones physical size, and just packing what we need into that small form factor.

Give them a few years, RED style quality will be in a camera barely bigger than the sensor itself :)

Pumpkinguy

I am likely only gonna fly a dslr for a while but I want that ability to say "sure, we can fly a red". If the ronin is any good, it is cheap enough to have that then buy a larger gimbal of the need comes up.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'll be curious to see what the Gremsy H3 costs. If DJI is setting a trend here, it could get real interesting to see what the market bears over the next 6 months.

Of course I think it's safe to assume that many of us here are not good at waiting.... :)

Pumpkinguy

The ronin m has a capacity of 8 lbs. the direct competition would be the h6
I bet the h3 will be around the $1200-1400 range

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I
And frankly, it seems the market is heading the other way - with the BM smaller cam being the first that is embracing bare bones physical size, and just packing what we need into that small form factor.

Give them a few years, RED style quality will be in a camera barely bigger than the sensor itself :)

Until that camera is around, depending on what work you're trying to get will determine what gimbal you need.

Here's the skinny... if you want to shoot for commercials or movies, you will need to carry a RED or an ARRI.
If you are shooting for the web (ie. local broadcasts, web content, realtors etc...) get a Phantom 3 or a Inspire 1 and be done.

I can't believe I typed that, but they finally got me. I could have a fleet of P3's if I sold 1 of my big rigs and 99% of the time that footage would be fine. Unless it was for a movie or TV commercial client. Which don;t happen all THAT much...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I agree. But I feel there is also now a middle ground is for people like myself who want good and consistent footage, and are willing to pay for that.

I know that I'm not shooting for movies, so there is no way I could ever justify a Movi - nor should I. But I would invest decent money in a rig that could provide me what I do want, in a consistent fashion. The time saved, lack of frustration etc is what would make the substantial investment worthwhile for me.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The thing is... for recreational video or even commercial, the darn P3 Pro is right there with even a GH4.
I know the GH4's footage will be better, but for 99% of the time the P3 would get great footage.
And this is coming from a guy who is HEAVILY invested in rigs... I feel like a sell out, but dang it.. the monster has taken over.. DAMN YOU DJI.