Ronin m $1399. Wow.

Pumpkinguy

Don't forget sleepy. There will always be clients that will pay more for "marginally" better footage. One would argue gh4, a7s and bmpc are not just a little bit better.
Then there will be the ones that will need red cameras flown. These are the jobs you will get. These are the jobs worth getting. Leave the $200 real estate jobs for the 18 year olds with p3's.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Don't forget sleepy. There will always be clients that will pay more for "marginally" better footage. One would argue gh4, a7s and bmpc are not just a little bit better.
Then there will be the ones that will need red cameras flown. These are the jobs you will get. These are the jobs worth getting. Leave the $200 real estate jobs for the 18 year olds with p3's.

But this is what I'm saying. I do a lot of full production jobs where we are interviewing people, doing warehouse/manuf plant shots, driving in car shots (with MOVI) and then aerials. 1080 footage is fine as most of this type of work is shot with a Canon C100. Until now, I would have to take one of my decent sized rigs out, and shoot the footage with a GH3 or GH4. But not any more. I can keep a P3 in it's Pelican case and pop it out and get those kind of shots all day long. And these are $12K jobs... The ability of the P3 to get some decent footage with a flat lens is a game changer (for the price).

I mean I follow a LOT of film makers on instagram, guys who have my dream jobs. Shooting commercials for Mercedes in Italy, Shooting music videos in LA, shooting stuff for Nike in Europe... and guess what 95% of them are using? Inspire 1 and now P3... and most of these guys had Cinestars before...

Times are a changing!

econfly

I agree with everyone here. The Inspire (and now the P3) are over the "good enough" bar for many purposes. But, for the photographer in me, and for my own uses, I still want to be able to get the GH4 or a Blackmagic in the air. I don't have the commercial experience to know, but I do believe that the market could be separating into "the Inspire/P3 will do" and "only a Red / some other massive rig is good enough". That leaves my interests (GH4, Blackmagic micro) in a no-man's land. That's fine with me. So I'm going with both.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I get your point @SleepyC.

But I also think the "no-man's land" is for the people who would be fine with Inspire footage, but also prefer the to have a rig that can be fixed/adapted. The closed design, and the experiences of a friend with the DJI repair on the Inspire has been abysmal. That alone makes that option less appealing.

So for me there is the option of 'the Inspire would be good enough... When it works.' Or if a company could come out with a gimbal that worked well enough at a good price point, then I already have the good quality MR (multiple), cameras and the know-how to adapt to these options. At this point a decent gimbal that works would be cheaper for me than a DJI product (or similar price to a P3 but more flexible).

Believe me, I have thought long and hard about the Inspire (still do). Positive feedback from econfly makes it tempting. But being someone who actually likes to be productive, the fear of sitting for 6-8 weeks with my thumb up my a** is much less appealing:)

Pumpkinguy

I get your point @SleepyC.

But I also think the "no-man's land" is for the people who would be fine with Inspire footage, but also prefer the to have a rig that can be fixed/adapted. The closed design, and the experiences of a friend with the DJI repair on the Inspire has been abysmal. That alone makes that option less appealing.

So for me there is the option of 'the Inspire would be good enough... When it works.' Or if a company could come out with a gimbal that worked well enough at a good price point, then I already have the good quality MR (multiple), cameras and the know-how to adapt to these options. At this point a decent gimbal that works would be cheaper for me than a DJI product (or similar price to a P3 but more flexible).

Believe me, I have thought long and hard about the Inspire (still do). Positive feedback from econfly makes it tempting. But being someone who actually likes to be productive, the fear of sitting for 6-8 weeks with my thumb up my a** is much less appealing:)

Pumpkinguy

I just blew 10k on a hex to carry a full sized camera. Who wants it? Lol.

Back to this ronin thing. Do you guys think it will be as good as a Gremsy h? I know the service won't be as good. That is obvious.

econfly

As for Inspire vs. P3 -- I bought the Inspire before the P3 was announced. I'm happy with it, and with the wind we get at the farm it's going to fly/hold better than the P3. But, unless you need the additional speed or power I would go with the P3 -- much more value for the money. It may be that DJI offers Inspire users more down the road, but that would depart from their usual approach of putting effort into new products and not into improving / adding on to old ones.

econfly

I just blew 10k on a hex to carry a full sized camera. Who wants it? Lol.

Back to this ronin thing. Do you guys think it will be as good as a Gremsy h? I know the service won't be as good. That is obvious.

We need a head-to-head comparison of the Ronin M and the Gremsy H6. Both look like great options. But, with DJI's price being $800 lower the H6 would have to be substantially better to demand the premium price. Just superficially and without trying either one I'm not sure how the H6 can compete at a $800 premium to the Ronin M.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Being in Vermont - the wind handling would be key to me as well.

Pumpkin: hard to say really. I think the Ronin-M, like most of these options, will need to be tested by others before I shell out any cash for one. But despite my impatience (damn you Tom Petty..."the waiting is the hardest part..."), I have the luxury of not having clients demanding anything from me.

If you have to buy something soon, it appears that among the gimbals we've been discussing recently, the Gremsy H6 would have good customer support, positive previous model feedback (since no one knows about this particular model) and the potential to be flexible (but not big enough for RED). The fact that the guys on the video didn't say the Ronin-M had been specifically programmed for the air, and DJI track record, tells me to steer clear.

The "ecofly" version of the H6 will be $1995. While it's a premium - it's a bit closer to the Ronin-M

Pumpkinguy

It's not just me. You guys in the U.S. Have to pay that vat tax as well. Only difference is we have to pay another 23% exchange then 13% tax on the total amount.

H6 is $3500 Canadian and ronin m is $1975 Canadian.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Man. That's heavy.

I got prices for the ecofly directly from Gremsy in an email, which was pretty high by the time you paid tax/shipping (I think it was $2260 with case???). There is a dealer here in the states which should save some of that cash, but it's still expensive.

The key, for me at least, is that I already have $xxxx in 3 gimbals on the bench that are just not doing it for me. I've gone down the road of "cheap solutions" and now feel that spending more, if I can do it with confidence, is the right thing for me.

Without some solid testimonials (preferably from people on here that I trust), I'd be afraid that the ronin-m may end up another $1400 sitting idly on the bench. For now, there are a few red flags (mention of future firmware, potential of having to deal with their repair dept etc).

Again, if I had clients that I was passing the investment off to, I'd probably pounce on the Ronin and hope for the best. But for me personally, there are a few things in the 'cons' column.

Pumpkinguy

There is your total from Gremsy. $200 less for Ecofly. If you buy from ATI you save the PayPal fees.View attachment 24457

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 196

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep. Sorry, I was off by $100. Gremsy said you could pay by CC and eliminate the $100 PayPal. ATI said that the shipping from them would be cheaper as well, and obviously No PayPal there. So might save a bit more. Not sure what ATI shipping would be to Canada.

Regardless, it's a bunch of cash for a gimbal that has yet to be out in the wild yet. I've seen some unboxing vids, but haven't seen reviews yet. But it does seem solid - and has much promise.

Have you heard any news of it flying yet?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This is what ATI sent:

Yes, we can save you the 4% on paypal but should also save you considerably on shipping. Our H6s should arrive soon and then we will have exact weight and DIM to give you a price but it should not be more than $50 anywhere in the US.

Pumpkinguy

I've heard it was delayed due to an issue with function in the air which has been corrected. This is 3rd party info and I cannot validate the authenticity.