RED Epic under a multirotor

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Its nowt new.. its just confidence in your MR! I have been on shoots where if the camera was lost it would have been a small price to pay for the SHOT! and the epic red is cheap in comparison with super 16 stuff way back then!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Were they flying super 16 stuff on multicopters back in the day?:tennis:

Only under Chinooks!

attachment.php

jes1111

What I find most interesting is the gimbal design: direct drive on the pitch axis and pushrod linkage on the roll axis. Servos looks like Hitec 7990.

ZAxis

The gimbal is definitely interesting and the direct drive is the simplest approach to movement. However looking at the footage I cannot convince myself they are doing things any better than anyone else so far. The shots of the Okto show a fair amount of unstable flying with a lot of gimbal slewing but the shots from the RED Epic, while steady, are heavily slowed down. I'd guess that those shots are stabilised post production, making good use of the fact that there is plenty of resolution to throw away and still achieve HD resolution. What do others think ?

ovdt

The gimbal is definitely interesting and the direct drive is the simplest approach to movement. However looking at the footage I cannot convince myself they are doing things any better than anyone else so far. The shots of the Okto show a fair amount of unstable flying with a lot of gimbal slewing but the shots from the RED Epic, while steady, are heavily slowed down. I'd guess that those shots are stabilised post production, making good use of the fact that there is plenty of resolution to throw away and still achieve HD resolution. What do others think ?

I'm not impressed by the stability of the copter, too.

This is something that any multirotor user can do; ofcourse with enough courage.

I don't know why the tech web sites jumped into to the video "woavvv, unbelieveable!"

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That's quite the erector set they've assembled there, looks like an MK electronics stack which makes me wonder why it didn't look particularly stable in flight. Maybe the pilot wasn't all that good or having that much weight swinging around down low could throw any F/C out of whack I suppose.

Yes the video they have up is heavily massaged, with that much data to work with you can make pretty much anything look good so it doesn't matter all that much how good or bad the copter flys in the long run.

Ken