Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Radios Features Complaints Research

Discussion in 'Batteries, Chargers and other Related Equipment' started by felipeps, May 17, 2015.

1. felipeps

felipeps New Member

Posted by felipeps, May 17, 2015 #1
    Hey pilots, I’m a design student and I’m researching about radio controllers’ features.

I’d like to know from you what are your complaints about your devices.
    Not talking about the radio communication itself, but about the "box with sticks".

Starting with me, my radio is a Spektrum DX7s and I find it hard to have all channels setup for each new model, there’s no display backlight, and also thought about it being smaller, but it could affect its ergonomics.

That's it, something quick. Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Oceans Eleven

Oceans Eleven Wassup?

Apr 26, 2015
    Europe
    Posted by Oceans Eleven, May 29, 2015 #2
    LOL! Hey kid, ditch your Spektrum and pick yourself up a Taranis. Problem solved.;)

4 people like this.
  3. SleepyC

SleepyC www.AirHeadMedia.com

Posted by SleepyC, May 29, 2015 #3
    I have always like radios with sliders or controls around the back, it's actually easier to locate sliders and such on the back while keeping your hands firmly on the sticks.

4. JoeBob

JoeBob Elevation via Flatulation

Jan 6, 2014
    Georgia
    Posted by JoeBob, May 29, 2015 #4
    I need a 6 position switch for my Futaba. (Taranis has one you can add)
    Pixhawk flight modes are set with a 2 position and a 3 position switch. Changing the 2 position redefines what the 3 position registers.
    It works, but changing flight modes is a slow exercise in caution.
    A1 B1
    A2 B2
    A3 B3
    Moving in the same column or row is easy. If you're going from A1 to A3, you can move the switch quickly enough for the radio to ignore A2.
    If you move from A1 to B2, there can be enough lag before you move the second switch for the radio to think that you're asking for B1 or A2.
    And I have to always check my cheat sheets labeled on the radio, and confirm which position A/B is in before moving 1/2/3. It's NOT 'Eyes free.'

5. Motopreserve

Motopreserve Drone Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, May 29, 2015 #5
    The taranis is really a step forward in my opinion. The voice alerts and multiple switch options handle JoeBob's concerns.

They also have an incredibly robust way of assigning channels, switches, knobs and sliders. Certain screens are customizable while flying, the computer connection allows us to modify/tweak parameters and settings in a more 2015 way - as opposed to scrolling endlessly through small menus on the radio.... Almost too much to list.

If I were designing a radio - I'd take a close look at the taranis/opentx format and figure out how to improve it. Of course I don't code, so no chance of that :)

2 people like this.
  6. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Bane of G10

Jul 3, 2014
    Roanoke, TX
    Posted by MadMonkey, May 29, 2015 #6
    I'd like a switch to easily change the throttle stick to spring loaded self-centering and back to free movement. I find myself needing both depending on what I'm flying.

I'd also like the ability to easily expand the number or type of switches and gimbals. For example, have the ability to plug in a simple module (NOT having to use the trainer port) that contains a zoom or focus-style controller, a gimbal joystick, or custom switch or lever arrays for specific RC vehicles. Maybe even the ability to easily plug in a flightstick-style controller for FPV.

4 people like this.
  7. econfly

econfly Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Posted by econfly, May 29, 2015 #7
    Really like that throttle centered/free switch concept!

8. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, May 29, 2015 #8
    ^^+1

9. Dylan M

Dylan M Which Switch...

Aug 28, 2014
    NC
    Posted by Dylan M, Jun 24, 2015 #9

I want all of this...

I like the modular idea with different modules. I would love a clean way to run follow focus or zoom

Maybe bigger built-in battery? Nothing like charging a bunch of flight packs just to find your radio is basically dead. (I hope that's not just me)

10. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Jun 24, 2015 #10
    Man. My radio seems to last forever. Although it drop the first bit quick always giving me a panic :). Then it lasts more than I'll ever fly in a day.

11. fltundra

fltundra Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Key Largo, FL
    Posted by fltundra, Jun 24, 2015 #11
    Flying every day... I can go over a week before charging.
    http://www.lifesourcebatteries.com/transmitter-packs.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  12. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Jun 24, 2015 #12
    I'm just using to stock battery and it still lasts quite a while.

That seems like a good source for a txt pack though.

13. mhills51

mhills51 Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Kansas City Mo
    Posted by mhills51, Jul 15, 2015 #13
    You just need to map/mix another switch on the Futaba to do the other two functions on the same channel. Have to do this with the DJI to put fail safe on a switch different from Manual, GPS, and Altitude. All on the same channel. What Futaba do you have?

14. JoeBob

JoeBob Elevation via Flatulation

Jan 6, 2014
    Georgia
    Posted by JoeBob, Jul 16, 2015 #14
    That would be easier if it works. But I've never seen it done. Suggestions?
    What does the radio do if Switch 1 is set to A1 and Switch 2 is set to B1. Isn't the radio then transmitting two commands on the same channel at the same time? Which command will the FC follow? (Flyaway!?)

Futaba T8FG.

15. mhills51

mhills51 Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Kansas City Mo
    Posted by mhills51, Jul 16, 2015 #15
    On the Futaba you can map to any switch and make that switch control anything and even make it control more than on channel and the other way around.. I was lost as well until I saw this video and then I couldn't get it to work until I realized he is using a different switch than me. I had half set up on my switch and the other half set following the video to his switch. Once a changed the second half to my switch it worked

16. Pumpkinguy

Pumpkinguy Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Toronto
    Posted by Pumpkinguy, Jul 16, 2015 #16
    I'd like my futaba throttle to beep when it's in the center just like the knobs do.

17. mhills51

mhills51 Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Kansas City Mo
    Posted by mhills51, Jul 16, 2015 #17
    You could change the dead band for center so you don't have to be 100% in the center for the controller to think your there.

18. mhills51

mhills51 Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Kansas City Mo
    Posted by mhills51, Jul 16, 2015 #18
    Joe I have the exact same radio so if you need help just ask! I admit I don't know a lot about it, but I am really good at finding the answers.

19. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Jul 17, 2015 #19
    ?????

20. Hexacrafter

Hexacrafter Manufacturer

Dec 11, 2012
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    Posted by Hexacrafter, Jul 17, 2015 #20
    Moto...
    Programmed throttle curve with flat through 50%...??