Radios Features Complaints Research

felipeps

Hey pilots, I’m a design student and I’m researching about radio controllers’ features.

I’d like to know from you what are your complaints about your devices.
Not talking about the radio communication itself, but about the "box with sticks".

Starting with me, my radio is a Spektrum DX7s and I find it hard to have all channels setup for each new model, there’s no display backlight, and also thought about it being smaller, but it could affect its ergonomics.

That's it, something quick. Thanks!

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have always like radios with sliders or controls around the back, it's actually easier to locate sliders and such on the back while keeping your hands firmly on the sticks.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I need a 6 position switch for my Futaba. (Taranis has one you can add)
Pixhawk flight modes are set with a 2 position and a 3 position switch. Changing the 2 position redefines what the 3 position registers.
It works, but changing flight modes is a slow exercise in caution.
A1 B1
A2 B2
A3 B3
Moving in the same column or row is easy. If you're going from A1 to A3, you can move the switch quickly enough for the radio to ignore A2.
If you move from A1 to B2, there can be enough lag before you move the second switch for the radio to think that you're asking for B1 or A2.
And I have to always check my cheat sheets labeled on the radio, and confirm which position A/B is in before moving 1/2/3. It's NOT 'Eyes free.'

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The taranis is really a step forward in my opinion. The voice alerts and multiple switch options handle JoeBob's concerns.

They also have an incredibly robust way of assigning channels, switches, knobs and sliders. Certain screens are customizable while flying, the computer connection allows us to modify/tweak parameters and settings in a more 2015 way - as opposed to scrolling endlessly through small menus on the radio.... Almost too much to list.

If I were designing a radio - I'd take a close look at the taranis/opentx format and figure out how to improve it. Of course I don't code, so no chance of that :)

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I'd like a switch to easily change the throttle stick to spring loaded self-centering and back to free movement. I find myself needing both depending on what I'm flying.

I'd also like the ability to easily expand the number or type of switches and gimbals. For example, have the ability to plug in a simple module (NOT having to use the trainer port) that contains a zoom or focus-style controller, a gimbal joystick, or custom switch or lever arrays for specific RC vehicles. Maybe even the ability to easily plug in a flightstick-style controller for FPV.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
I'd like a switch to easily change the throttle stick to spring loaded self-centering and back to free movement. I find myself needing both depending on what I'm flying.

I'd also like the ability to easily expand the number or type of switches and gimbals. For example, have the ability to plug in a simple module (NOT having to use the trainer port) that contains a zoom or focus-style controller, a gimbal joystick, or custom switch or lever arrays for specific RC vehicles. Maybe even the ability to easily plug in a flightstick-style controller for FPV.

I want all of this...

I like the modular idea with different modules. I would love a clean way to run follow focus or zoom

Maybe bigger built-in battery? Nothing like charging a bunch of flight packs just to find your radio is basically dead. (I hope that's not just me)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Man. My radio seems to last forever. Although it drop the first bit quick always giving me a panic :). Then it lasts more than I'll ever fly in a day.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm just using to stock battery and it still lasts quite a while.

That seems like a good source for a txt pack though.

mhills51

I need a 6 position switch for my Futaba. (Taranis has one you can add)
Pixhawk flight modes are set with a 2 position and a 3 position switch. Changing the 2 position redefines what the 3 position registers.
It works, but changing flight modes is a slow exercise in caution.
A1 B1
A2 B2
A3 B3
Moving in the same column or row is easy. If you're going from A1 to A3, you can move the switch quickly enough for the radio to ignore A2.
If you move from A1 to B2, there can be enough lag before you move the second switch for the radio to think that you're asking for B1 or A2.
And I have to always check my cheat sheets labeled on the radio, and confirm which position A/B is in before moving 1/2/3. It's NOT 'Eyes free.'

You just need to map/mix another switch on the Futaba to do the other two functions on the same channel. Have to do this with the DJI to put fail safe on a switch different from Manual, GPS, and Altitude. All on the same channel. What Futaba do you have?

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
That would be easier if it works. But I've never seen it done. Suggestions?
What does the radio do if Switch 1 is set to A1 and Switch 2 is set to B1. Isn't the radio then transmitting two commands on the same channel at the same time? Which command will the FC follow? (Flyaway!?)

Futaba T8FG.

mhills51

On the Futaba you can map to any switch and make that switch control anything and even make it control more than on channel and the other way around.. I was lost as well until I saw this video and then I couldn't get it to work until I realized he is using a different switch than me. I had half set up on my switch and the other half set following the video to his switch. Once a changed the second half to my switch it worked

mhills51

Joe I have the exact same radio so if you need help just ask! I admit I don't know a lot about it, but I am really good at finding the answers.