Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

holco

Very nicely done holco. I really like your synchronized video mesh up !

It would be cool to see an on board take with the servos off on the gimbal to get a feeling how much the picloc and AV 130 compensates !

Boris

I was planning that also, and also one with the wire-dampers blockt zo you can see the benefit of the wire-dampers.

Greetings,

Mario

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hmm i am really not happy. I ordered two units one standard one pro. The standard i had to return since the USB board port whatever had some issue. Now the second picloc misbehaves.

This is now happening on a regular basis. A yaw results in a Roll and Nick/Tilt axis movement on the gimbal. Often the roll axis slowly travels although the bird hasn't even left the ground yet.

Wondering if this unit has a problem. I reset everthing again it works maybe for a couple minutes than again roll axis movements without a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
George just came back to me. Concerning my issues and we might have found the fault that I had calibration of the acc. on at startup. I hope its solved with this have two more lipo test quickly before the night comes. Thanks George !

Boris

holco

Boris how dit you mount the picloc?

A had look alike problems mounted the picloc text down, until I mounted it text up.

Manual speaks that you also can mount it with the connectors facing down but that dit not work also.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Holco,

no no its mounted text up 100% the same like george showed it in his video with the 200 AV. I think it was really the problem with the acc cali. being on at every start up. Just flew one lipo and everything was okay. Now i am going to put the cam and do a second test, if all the random behaviour is gone but it is looking good.

Besides the small problems i had up to now MK or WKM stabi dont touch the picloc x3 in combination with any AV from PH !

Boris

Skysurf

Does it have to be mounted laying down? I was hoping to mount it sitting on a vertical surface.

Boris, are you using the Jetibox or PC?

/Jesper

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The first calibration of the acc. and gyro have to be on a complete level surface. Probably better to do it on a table instead of already mounting it. Safe the calibration values and take care that acc cali is not checked for every startup.

As far as i understood it can only be mounted horizontally and with the text usb port on the upper side.

I hooked up the jetibox to it once with the first firmware and didnt see to many options, actually didnt see any config options, but maybe didnt understand the menu flow or it wasnt activated on the first firmwares.

For its working fine again: I will back it up with some videos tomorrow.

Skysurf

Thanks Boris.

I guess there is no rush to get a Jetibox then. Do you find programing the unit with a PC straight-forward and simple?
I remember that when calibrating the original Picloc TR, George recommended that the unit should be laying flat on a level surface rather than installed on the camera gimbal.
If the unit has to be installed laying down horizontally with the text facing up, I find this very limiting. I think George said in one of the videos that he would make it possible to install it in several different orientations. I hope he has already done this or will do so in the near future.

/Jesper

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Config is easy, if you don't forget or misunderstand a major point like I did :). Japp I also think to have heard that mounting picloc will be possible in different orientations, isn't it already in two basic?. Upside down would be great in most cases I think to reach the USB port easier.

One of you have hooked up a jetibox lately ? With the newest firmware what can be configed. I don't have my jetibox with me to check it out.

hexacop

HexaCop
Hi all,
I got my Picloc 3x pro last Saturday but due to Xmas time did not had much time to configure it properly. Right now I'm using a self made mount with Savöx Servos, same type as AV200. In any case the result with the Picloc looks very promising compared to the MK stabilization.
I have a question related to the Picloc voltage, did not find any notes on that. As I want to power the servos with 6V can I connect the Picloc directly at 6V or even 7V SBEC voltage?
By the way I had a very strange behavior with my 6V/3A SBEC. The servos did not run smoothly enough and after few hour of research I found out it was caused by the SBEC. After I have soldered on 1500uF Capacitor at the output line, the problem was solved!

hexacop

HexaCop
Thank you Boris.
I have monitored the voltage output of the SBEC with the scope and when I apply some force on the servo horn I can see a lot of noise / peaks of around 0.6-0.7V on top of the 6V output.
Not sure if this is just poor quality SBEC (hobbyking) I have two of them and both are not usable without the external capacitor.

Boris, I've been following your progress closely. I received a Pro unit last week but still waiting on a gimbal (CS PAN) so I haven't been able to do anything meaningful with it yet. Hoping to coordinate with Tabb and get it on a prototype gimbal to test how it does. Concerning the "Gyro Calibration On Every Startup" checkbox I can't understand why one would want that enabled except maybe for testing purposes? Once it's calibrated level aren't those values stored and recalled for subsequent use? In any case, glad you got that issue solved. Looking forward to your videos.

hexacop

HexaCop
I've installed the Picloc "quick and dirty' onto my hexacopter and made the basic setup on the ground which looked promising but then in the air the system of course acts a little different. See my first video comparing Picloc vs. MK stabilization.
I will need to spend some more time to figure out the appropriate parameter settings to optimize the stabilization with the Picloc controller.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I don't want to discredit picloc as a product and I think it's a good product and sets new standards compared to any FC stabi we had up to now and fullest respect to George and his venture!

But I just can't get mine to perform on a constant level. 2 flights go well and the third ends in completely random hickups.

http://gallery.me.com/borisschwarz/100114

Tried to rule eveything out temp difference on the gyros, possible voltage drop acting on picloc thus settings being changed etc.

Don't want to bassh the product just trying to find a solution with the help of you guys or someone else experiencing the same issues.

Thanks

Boris

Skysurf

So what does George say about these issues? Have you been able to get hold of him?

Years ago I bought two of the original Picloc TRs. Back then there was no PC interface and all settings had do be done by counting flashes etc. I probably spent at least 100 hours trying to get a consistent result - but I was never able to get it to be 100% reliable.

I have three units on order, and I am going to pick up one at the post office later today. If it is displaying behavior thats similar to what I experienced last time, I am going to return the products for a refund. I am not willing to spend another 100 hours of my life and not getting consistent acceptable performance...

I don't want to discredit picloc as a product and I think it's a good product and sets new standards compared to any FC stabi we had up to now and fullest respect to George and his venture!

If it's not consistent, it's not a good enough product in my eyes. I think George seems to be a nice guy and I hope that he will help you find a solution quickly!

I will give mine a try beginning of next week.

By the way, have you tried using some softer mounting tape or several layers? I know the old version used to be very sensitive to vibrations.

Regards,

Jesper

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
His doing what he can to solve the problem. At the moment he cant say a lot because its just awkward behavior and we dont have any info helping us at the moment. But i am going to send some vids of solo picloc in action and the gyros in the tool etc. Although I cant replicated the behavior on my desk it only happens during flight. I have a 3mm servo tape thickest i could get and i had thinner ones etc tried them all, not intentionally just different ones came along due to the many times i took it off and stuck it back on already. I have for some reasons a lot of vibrations on my hexa at the moment no clue why wasnt like that before ( guys its the -5 temps acting on the material), but the same thing also happened on my CS8 were i consider the vibrations isolated very well.

I seem to be the only one having these issues, otherwise the setup with the config tool is a piece of cake !

Boris

GeorgeM

Hi Guys, I found this forum, and this thread.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

It's 4:45AM here, and we're still trying our best to build the last few remaining Picloc-3X's for customers. !!
Please forgive the basic support I'm giving right now to you guys having some issues.
Most were related to bad soldering because our manufacturer really delivered atrocious soldering.
The units suffering are probably those that were sent in the first week.
I'm doing my best to swap these defective units when reported.

BorisS's issue is the only one which I know of, and I'd give an arm and a leg to go next to him and resolve his issue.
But since I cannot, I'll have to replace your unit Boris, and will need that funny one to really understand what's going on.

Otherwise, the Piclocs are performing great, and I've received a lot of videos shot with the Piclocs in action.

In the next weeks, as I'll have built all remaining Piclocs, I'll get back to coding, and I'll be updating the firmware, adding some new control sliders, to get even better stabilization and tune-ability from your gimbals.

Stay Tuned.

I will to.. to this thread, and give my support when needed.

Thanks !!

I'd like to wish everyone viewing, all my best wishes for 2012 !!

Cheers !!