Photos for commercial use

Razzil

What are the guide lines within Canada for aerial photography?
Am I right by saying, you 'Have' to obtain an (SFOC) Special Flight Operation Certificate and Liability Insurance?
Are their many people in here from Canada, that use multi-rotors for commercial aerial photography?
How much does liability insurance cost in Canada?

Macsgrafs

What are the guide lines within Canada for aerial photography?
Am I right by saying, you 'Have' to obtain an (SFOC) Special Flight Operation Certificate and Liability Insurance?
Are their many people in here from Canada, that use multi-rotors for commercial aerial photography?
How much does liability insurance cost in Canada?

Only if you charge!

Dewster

This sounds a lot like another hobby activity I do, Mineral prospecting. Enforcers come up with what they think should be enforced. If law enforcement tells you to stop you should stop. However they need to back up the why with an actual law,ordinace, regulation etc.... Do your home work. Know what you can and cannot do.

Where does Crackdown statement come from? Media outlet?

Steve

Interesting... I think Paparazzi are at fault in LA for flying around high profile celeb homes. You know celebs have some pull when it comes to complaints.

Dewster

Chris,

Let me explain something that many dont quite understand. Both the USA & the UK are registered as corporations (UK is UK PLC). The CEO's who run these businesses (for profit) are called presidents & prime ministers. They are in the game to make money, never to give money...that's why no government has EVER helped it's own people. We are the only species that pays to live on our own planet!!!!! Some states in the USA have made it illegal (not unlawful) to collect rain water!!!!! There is a farmer in the states currently in prison for 1 month & fined $1000 for collecting rain water, as the local water company claims to own it...so we need to reverse the tables & in that farmers case, every time it rains on his land, get them to come out & collect the water, if they don't then he can bill them. We must also take the same action.
People need to learn the difference between legal & lawful, especially police officers! I can open the door for you, but you must walk through it if you want to be free of this corrupt society, which is based on profits & not people.

Ross

Now that is insane. Arresting a farmer for collecting rain water!? Thats certainly a state law designed for profit. Unless theres some mosquito problem from standing water. Yeah...these laws don't make sense. There are so many that you can honestly say that everyone has broken some law at some point (many points) in their life. Which ones are enforced and who decides when/why to enforce?

Dewster

....oh man....since English is not my mother language, I had to look up the difference between "illegal + unlawful"...and found this: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060820061155AAI0FKT

....and then I tought the story with "rain-man" was a joke, untill I found this:

http://www.naturalnews.com/036615_Oregon_rainwater_permaculture.html

[video]http://video.foxnews.com/v/1761129825001/[/video]

.....it's time to f*ck off to another planet.

Chris

Ok..read the article. The pond thing is enforcing a law out of it's intention. It seems that that law was intended to prevent people (landowners) from disrupting the flow of rivers or damming up areas that would prevent the flow of life sustaining water. I can understand that. Charging someone for collecting water in a pond is overboard.

kloner

Aerial DP
from some of the documentries i've seen if the climate keeps on the path were going, water is about to get as expensive as gasoline....... groundwater is drying up faster than it's replenished. there already capping wells people have had for decades here with meters and are taxing every gallon pumped. I live on the largest groundwater hole in so cal...... Sparklets water is here with a well. All of our utility water comes from the colorado river and northern cali,,,,, theres pipes that go from the aquaduct on one side of the hill into LA. Some of it travels down this way. Big massive pipelines.

But i agree 100%, BS I'm not sure where current policies are taking us but i don't like any of it.

When i was a kid water seemed like it was free,,,,,,, what happened

tstrike

pendejo grande
We had a big car dealership here that set up a very sophisticated cistern with filtering system to collect rain and snow melt water to use for washing cars on the lot. The state shut them down and was fining them ridiculous amounts of money until they ceased and desisted. The dealer had inside influence and was able to get the laws partially changed in his favor since eventually all water goes back into the ground one way or the other.

Macsgrafs

Water is already more expensive than petrol!!!!!
We pay £1.50 (about $2) for 250mL of water.....so thats £6 (about $9) for a litre of water......or in plain English..£24 per gallon!!!!!!

The problem as I see it is that so many people just accept what thier respective corrupt governments pass as ACTS (yes acts, from part of a play).
Acts only act on your person, not you the man or woman...learn how to void them by NOT giving consent.

Ross

Macsgrafs

Interesting... I think Paparazzi are at fault in LA for flying around high profile celeb homes. You know celebs have some pull when it comes to complaints.

If enough of them get together, they can use thier massive lenses (300mm plus) & hire a heli for an hour, then from 500ft altitude they can still get great shots; so by punishing us they will never cure that problem.

kloner

Aerial DP
I was sitting here reading the replies and i thought, wonder what a search does for "faa uas fine" and the first link i saw i clicked, went there and looky there
One more item. In discussions with staffers about FAA regulations they indicated that a first time offense minimum fine is $10,000, up to $100,000, plus carries a possible 3 to 10 years in the pen. Not a light thing to consider, even if you get probation for the time !

So i've done time and the one thing i know for a fact, federal time has no good time, when they say you got 10 years, your doing all 10 years.

here is the page it came from
http://photographyforrealestate.net...says-us-airspace-is-closed-to-all-commercial/

Judges hate when people come them with the ignorant excuse, "i didn't know"..... iv'e tried that a few times,never worked for me

heres more
Los Angeles authorities have asked C.A.R. to communicate this warning to REALTORS® who hire unmanned aircraft operators to take aerial photographs for marketing high-end properties. Using these devices (also known as drones) for flight in the air with no onboard pilot may violate, among other things, the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) policy on unmanned aircrafts, and Los Angeles’s local ordinance requiring permits for filming commercial motion pictures and still photographs…
Under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)’s current policy, no one can operate an unmanned aircraft in the National Airspace System without specific authority. Operators who wish to fly an unmanned aircraft for civil use must obtain an FAA experimental airworthiness certificate, which will not be issued to an unmanned aircraft used for compensation or hire. Although the FAA allows hobbyists to fly model airplanes for recreational purposes under specific guidelines, that authority does not extend to operators flying unmanned aircraft for business purposes…

And if you wanna really feel small, heres a public post from an faa administrator

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/145993-rc-aerials-illegal-says-faa.html

These guys are pricks.......... I worked at a major airport in San Diego. We had our shop dog leave one day and it walked down a runway. The dog came back with a FAA official and a dog pound truck. It was a hundred yards away but my boss had broke the law. I forget what the fine was, but it almost bankrupt him.

shsober

Massive lenses start more around 500mm and are VERY challenging to use, especially from a moving platform. Nothing can beat a radio controlled platform close to the subject.

Macsgrafs

Reading back through what "kloner" posted from the FAA

Under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)’s current policy, no one can operate an unmanned aircraft in the National Airspace System without specific authority.

What height does the national airspace start at?

that authority does not extend to operators flying unmanned aircraft for business purposes

That counts all you guys in the states out!!!! so don't fly for money, do it for free.....I'm sure you guys can work out a way around & how about reversing what they say & start to charge the FAA for loss of revenue, as a man/woman you have that right.

Ross

ChrisViperM

After reading all this articles, to me it looks like there will be no comercial aerial photography in the future in America....and all related businesses....meaning you guys are out of business. I guess to wait for a reasonable solution is the same like waiting to see a pink aligator fly aruond the north pole....altough it does not affect me personally, I feel sorry for all Americans trying to make a living in this industry (which will be no industry in the near future)....oh man

Chris

Macsgrafs

Sadly Chris I agree with you, just hope enough of them will get together, put aside thier differences & push for RC use...its so different to what the military use etc.

kloner

Aerial DP
and all we really have is the ama fighting for us........ Is there any photography associations? we need more push at the big house........

this is why i'm extremely hesitant to buy a big rig yet. if this is the case there gonna be a dime a dozen sooner or later.

How does it work if you get a job, say for a studio or associate of a hollywood film company so all the film permits and crap are in place and you get there and they want you to fly "there rig" and your just an employee and fly the thing....... is that the same or are we talking about kloner opening an aerial imaging company and getting money from Real Estate agents? the later is my understanding, but the grey area in the first seems like a pretty big hole

jbdww

We all need to take action.

Office of the Administrator
Federal Aviation Administration
Acting Administrator, Michael Huerta
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ 202-267-8111[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also include you local representatives.[/FONT]

PondMedic

I've read on this subject for several months now and I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but it's clear by the FAA's actions in the recent past that it they do not want UAS's in the air, doing AP work for hire. The guys that are doing AP work in the US and getting paid for it are clearly violating federal law. As a matter of fact, if you are building AP platforms and flight testing them to sell, you have to get a FAA Certificate of Authorization to fly the copters you are about to sell. This is what the FAA considers "market research".

Kloner included a link to the dvinfo.com forum that was started in 2009. There is an e-mail address on that forum that Wendell Adkins has set up if you want to be included on the class action lawsuit against the FAA. If you're impacted (which anyone doing this for hire is impacted), send your contact info to freedom4ap@gmail.com to be included on that initiative.

Until the law allows for UAS AP work for hire, everyone's grounded unless you're flying AP for recreation only.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm thinkin leave it all behind, big palapa on some remote beach in mexico,,, hammock spread across the coconut trees with a ponga for hire sitting on the beach....... Naaa, we need to fight..... i sent an email just to keep an eye on this stuff. We need an association with a lobbyist and an attorney to sort through the bs and to talk to the right people with the right words and the right campaign contribution in the right pocket. This is America,,,,,, isn't that how we do it?

Is anybody here a really good writer? any chance we could get somebody to write a mass letter we can edit in our reps info and fire off? It would help the busy guy make an impact for minimal effort.

I've been an avid hunter for years. Been through alot of bs with the government over the years, things like component tax on ammunition, they wanted to tax each pellet, each grain of gun powder, each wad, hull, cap,,,,, to pay for trauma centers...... we beat that at vote, but none the less this aint no joke. We got groups like NRA, massive millions of member associations putting up the good fight.

I remember not too long ago there being an fpv group forming to fight and that's just a hobby sport, nothing about money anything, but the same lines fighting the same people/laws...... maybe we should support that.