Phobotic CenterPiece Owners Thread.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I built a custom dampening plate to help eliminate the Jakub/Quadframe dampening plate as an issue. Still waiting on firmware update #1331. :(

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
is it still a matter of fixed landing gear that is the difference between success and failure?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Not as far as I understand it. I had always been running fixed LG (never installed the rotating LG for the Quadframe gimbal). I also removed the 3rd axis altogether to eliminate that as a potential issue as well, but had the same problems.

Roee told me to wait for the new firmware, which he said would be addressing my issues - gimbal, not personal :) So I am waiting on that for the review.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Not as far as I understand it. I had always been running fixed LG (never installed the rotating LG for the Quadframe gimbal). I also removed the 3rd axis altogether to eliminate that as a potential issue as well, but had the same problems.

Roee told me to wait for the new firmware, which he said would be addressing my issues - gimbal, not personal :) So I am waiting on that for the review.

So far my Yaw with a GH3/4 has never worked properly. But I was told to wait for the next firmware as well. Also my friend Andrew is coming over tomorrow, apparently he has a way to tune the YAW and get it working for the GH3/4 with the current firmware.. so I’ll report back. I honestly believe the Yaw problem is a firmware issue, the pitch and roll is so good, I’m sure it’s just a matter of getting the firmware to hit the sweet spot.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Please do keep me updated. There was talk of the Yaw being addressed in this coming firmware, and then not, and it may be back in again. Can't recall.

My issues are more severe. I get a constant vibration upon moving the Multirotor (even as subtle/mellow as I can move it). Most forward and back, but also sideways. I'm using a sony nex5N.

It also does a weird thing where it rolls to the left or right and stays there - constantly balancing the camera but always based on the odd roll angle. I have kept my eyes on the lights to make sure it didn't pop into correction mode (Orange light) but it stays blue the whole time.

Superx shows low vibes. Hard mounted gopro on the center plate shows low vibes. Could be the dampening plate. Could be other things....

jfro

Aerial Fun
So strange. Mine works on both my X8 & new hex. Had CP on 2 gimbals. 1 kit and 1 Diy.
Flying video is always steady. If he ever tightens up the horizon line when flying sideways or yawing, mine would be outstanding... it is good now but could be better.

One thing I think helps is to hold down or put weights on your MR during auto tune. If having issues, do pitch & roll first then yaw. Also have yaw motor level during autotune

Also, on my x8, on my vibration plate set up for gimbal, it is attached to an extra thick g10 plate that my arms are attached to, ie bottom plate.

Gut feeling is it might auto tune better with a firm connection to solid plate.

Will test some more as new hex has new layer underneath that gimbal attaches to.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
I am very sure that we will get SleepyC's yaw going great tomorrow. I have worked with both our G2-V2-NEX and G2-V2-GH4 gimbals and the Centerpiece until my brain has fallen out.....
I need to clarify where things are at......at least for us....
The issue is with the Autotune in the specific firmware.
Our NEX version is totally awesome with FW 1330. No issues with yaw.
Our GH4 version is totally awesome with FW1328. No issues with yaw.
My experiences with both of these gimbals when running the correct firmware has been very impressive.... this is just Autotune and go....no manual tuning at all. We have made some minor adjustments to the Yaw follow mode deadband, angular limits and speed to meet our specific preferences of how fast and how far the follow mode will allow the camera to move, but that is it.
In our opinion, the "heavy" mass of a larger camera does not do well with firmware 1330. Roee had us back-up to FW1328 with the heavier GH4 and camera yaw again performs awesome.
Others are doing some "manual" tuning to get the CP to work as they need, but we are relying completely on the autotune.
We have been advised that FW1331 will be much better and universal, so should work awesome on both our NEX and GH4 gimbals.
Currently, the only underperforming aspect of the CP from our tests is a motor buzz when the camera is pitched beyond 45 degrees either by rotating the aircraft or using the RC control. Roee is very aware of this problem and while we have tried some suggested "fixes" the problem persists. From what I have been told, the FW1331 should resolve this issue.
Moto, I do not know anything about your gimbal or vibration isolation, but our experiences... especially with a NEX sized camera are awesome.
Hopefully, SleepyC can post an update and some video tomorrow.

Moto, I also wish to say that we are not using any gimbal mounted rotating landing gear. While we know that it is possible if you wish to do manual tuning, the results are always better with retracts or aircraft mounted gear (when using a 1 man follow mode set-up).
I hope this helps.....
Andrew

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Hexa. I am using the Vulcan aluminum LG and not the rotating LG at this time. I was aware of the issues with that early on - so never even tried it.

Initially, I couldn't get auto tune to complete. Roee was great with support - but I still had a hard time. Because the current LG (Vulcan) can flex under the strain of the auto tune, I have weighted the craft to the floor during auto tunes - which is how I got it to finally successfully complete. After auto tune completed, I flew several times with the same issues. Bad, contsant vibrations. I tried so many variations of dampening balls it made me dizzy :). No luck. So I removed the 3rd axis to eliminate that as an issue.

But then the auto tune wouldn't complete again after removing the 3rd axis. Once that happened Roee said to wait for the new firmware. I have also fabbed a dampening plate consisting of 16 slots for balls, and have 3 tensions to choose from. The QUADframe V4 dampening plate was over complicated in my opinion. Great concept, but too difficult to rule out as a source of the vibes.

Looking forward to 1331....

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
We are flying a 700 gram "studio" lens.... much heavier than you jfro... Have you tried a large piece of glass?
Our clients use "large" glass. With a small 16-18mm lens it might be just fine.... more like a NEX with large glass.

jfro

Aerial Fun
We are flying a 700 gram "studio" lens.... much heavier than you jfro... Have you tried a large piece of glass?
Our clients use "large" glass. With a small 16-18mm lens it might be just fine.... more like a NEX with large glass.

Not that heavy. I've flown an old manual Nikon 24mm (don't remember if it had ND or not, but on my oz scale, it show between 12-13 oz which is 340 to 368g. (This is lens and Micro 4/3 adapter.) I have a zoom lens that is around 500g I could try and maybe throw a Variable ND which would get it up a bit more or just put some weight on the end of the lens....

Might just be easier to put my 5D on it with an L Lens and that would be plenty heavy. Are you just talking about GH3 or GH4 with heavier glass or as you saying it's different with a heavier camera/lens combo? My gimbal is for 5d size and down. I'm also running 60mm motors on this gimbal instead of the 52mm that many run.

I'm switching or remounting FC's on my x8, quad, and hex today as well as doing a re-calc on the CP IMU (seeing if it will help with my Horizon being off on yaw and side ways flying) if weather holds.

If all goes well, I can throw the CP based gimbal on my X8 and see how it goes with the heavier camera. I can go 1-1 1/4 lb or more heavier with that. Might not be until tomorrow, but let me know if you mean just lens, or camera/lens overall weight...

Kilby

So where did everyone land with this controller? I'm just now revisiting mine after several months of sitting on the bench. Did the latest firmware ever fix the yawning issues?

jfro

Aerial Fun
So where did everyone land with this controller? I'm just now revisiting mine after several months of sitting on the bench. Did the latest firmware ever fix the yawning issues?

I haven't tried the new firmware, but did test the beta about 3 weeks earlier. My understanding, and my brief flights confirm this, is nothing has been done to tighten up the horizon levelness.

Kilby

I see that new firmware just went live 2 days ago. I'm upgrading now and will hopefully get a chance to test it tomorrow.

Cameraj

Man, I feel like the old tuening from the Alex Moss days, this board isn't as easy as I thought. The values are all over the place from firmware to firmware, not happy spending more time tuening than flying.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I finally updated and threw it on a different gimbal. No luck. Lots of buzzing and weird behavior. I am starting to feel like I'm cursed.

I am going to rebuild this gimbal from the ground up, double check each angle, redo my balance, and see what I get. But I am now focused on not missing any more filming days, regardless of what it takes.