Phobotic CenterPiece Owners Thread.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Figured I'd start this thread for the folks that own, and are now actually using the Phobotic CenterPiece gimbal controller (both the standard or high voltage versions). Based on following the original threads (on forums to remain nameless), I'd ask that we keep this....if not professional, at least civil :)

It's still early days for this controller, but already people have experienced things they really like about it, such as a modern looking GUI (launched as a Google Chrome app on Mac or PC), direct customer support contact with the company (and the developers!), full-feature set (extensive RC connectivity such as sbus, status feedback via LED etc) and not least the auto-tune function. One standout feature of the current firmware implements a 'send report' function which gathers the data from your controller and forwards it to Phobotic for review. This has enabled the company to diagnose specific issues, as well as gather vast data to better direct and focus its efforts to improve the product.

For the uninitiated, the CenterPiece aims to offer a one button solution to tuning the gimbal. While other controllers offer this feature, the common consensus has been that they are A) financially out of reach for the average consumer (Movi) or B) if more reasonably priced, do not work very well (AlexMos 32bit). The CenterPiece auto-Tune is initiated by the GUI or by the push of a button, and begins a series of gyrations that reads the full camera mount system, honing in on baseline values that can adapt for various gimbals and cameras/lenses.

For those who wish to manually tune their controller, the list of parameters to tweak is VERY extensive. As Roee (Phobotic owner and Samur here on the forum) has stated, the auto-tune (AT) should be able to better evaluate and mechanically adjust these parameters than a any human. For some, taking tuning control away from the end user may seem intimidating, but rest assured, a happy 'balance' can be stuck by first using auto-tune, and then fine tuning manually, to address any issues that may remain after the AT has completed.

One thing that has become apparent through early-adopters experiences is that the setup of the gimbal is extremely important for a successful AT. While some have seen this as unique to the CenterPiece, it begs the question of whether 'flaws,' or weakness in a camera mount have been present all along, but were not as obvious with other controllers. Perhaps less than ideal gimbals/mounts have been causing some of the difficulties many of us have experienced?

Personally, I found that I needed to stiffen the dampening system quite a bit (replaced the stock silicone dampeners), and very securely hold the MR on the floor to get a successful AT. It turns out that the movements the AT creates vibrated the entire VulcanUAV because of flex in the stock aluminum landing gear. While this flex is welcomed during landing - it did not play nice with the AT.

Hopefully this thread can act as a place to peacefully share real-world experiences, and help users maximize performance results....

Cameraj

Center piece help

Is it better to bolt down the gimbal so to avoid shake during auto tune? Can some one post photos on how to setup pitch to a nobe for a single operator using a futaba? When I flew for the first time I got some shake in my footage , I had the the gimball hard mounted so I will try ruber standoffs to see if that helps, any info would be great, I haven't updated the firmware, should I?
Thanks, for the help,you guys on this fourm are great,

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What do you mean by "bolt down" the gimbal? Most gimbals will benefit from some type of dampening system - but early testers of the CenterPiece have reported that the stiffer the dampening - the better the results of the auto tune. But of course that leaves the question of whether the camera will be sufficiently dampened during MR flight. I think this will be a trial and error thing for the foreseeable future - and hopefully successful mounts will start to be posted here as data and results trickle in.

To set up RC pitch control for single operator, you simply plug a servo lead from your RX (any open channel you have) to one of the first 4 RC header connections on the controller (make sure you have the polarity correct), assign a pot or slider to that channel in your radio, and then in the GUI go to RC section on the left menus. In RC, choose channel 1, it will open a new window. Select pitch control and a wizard will walk you through moving the pot/slider. It automatically senses it, and then gives you options for its control.

ovdt

I had to lower dampening P value around %10-20 on all axis to get rid off the vibrations. Auto tune might not give you %100 good result. Move the gimbal with your transmitter and see if it is generating some vibrations or not. If it's vibrating on different angles, you will need to lower dampening P value a bit.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I had to lower dampening P value around %10-20 on all axis to get rid off the vibrations. Auto tune might not give you %100 good result. Move the gimbal with your transmitter and see if it is generating some vibrations or not. If it's vibrating on different angles, you will need to lower dampening P value a bit.

I had that at first, but then did a motor_calibration from the cli as listed on their forum. Have done this 3 times now, and it always works for me with autotune.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I had that at first, but then did a motor_calibration from the cli as listed on their forum. Have done this 3 times now, and it always works for me with autotune.

I had the same issue - and although I did the motor_cal it still remained. I only lowered the P Dampening on roll and it got rid of it (thanks Daloaf!).

jfro

Aerial Fun
My preliminary flights have gone pretty good. Myy current opinion is this is a step up from my AM based gimbals (all 3 of them).

While it's too early to say this is the real deal, I think it's very promising that it will be pending a few issues get ironed out, and then the test of time for reliability and stability.

In general, I'm happy with my footage. Have a few things I'm trying to figure out if it's my gimbal or the IS on the camera. More on that in a week or two.

My biggest issue, which is being worked on, is possible issues when initializing the gimbal on a pitched surface. Don't know what's acceptable. On my last outing on some bluffs/cliffs, I have some of my flights where the horizon was off for my full flights of 5-10 minutes. I had a table setup for testing and the flights where initialization took place on the table or flat land, the horizon was good. If it went off, it was a slow creep that came back pretty quick.

On many of the flights, where I launch form uneven ground, the horizon was bad.

I'm going back out for some more testing in the same location. I'm going to take some shims and pay closer attention to having the MR frame & gimbal level when I initialize and launch.

Will report back soon.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Some Phobotic Centerpiece flying today about an hour from my home at a friends house. Was very systematic in my calibration today. Always ran startup calibration on a flat surface, then hit switch #1 to turn off motors and moved to uneven location (except for 1 flight were ground was even and so was all the horizon on that shot). No issues flying except my video TX went out on me 2/3's of the way through so had to frame by guessing, not by sight. Footage is not touched except a few clips have a color curve on them. Shot at 60fpt rendered at 30fps @ 720p. Shot on Gh3 on DIY x8 w/ 3515 - 400KV motors and 15" props. AUW around 19- 19.5 lbs.

I put in a couple horizon shots where it was off momentarily. Some flights horizon was good, others I had an occasional horizon go out a bit. When it did go out a little, it seems the lower side was to the west or north west and that may only be because it's most notable with the water. It also corrected in short time when it was off a bit.

All in all, the Centerpiece did it's job today. I did a half dozen flights with my Gopro/Alexmos based quad, and it gave me some problems as I added a nd filter which seems to want to be recalibrated, which I didn't get sorted out. If I were to use any of that footage, it would all have to be run through warp stabilizer. To bad I wasted a pretty good day messing with that. All in all, will get more flying time with the Centerpiece and less fiddling with settings.

**** originally posted 3520 motors, they are 3515 Avroto's.

Last edited by a moderator:

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Thanks for this. It looks good and gives me confidence that investing in a CP has been worth it. Hope to get my DYS Smart in the air at the weekend if the mounting cases arrive in time.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Jfro, great to hear. Doesn't sound like the alexmos time was wasted - might just help solidify your confidence in this product?

roee and I have some tests planned, hopefully getting to the bottom of the vibration issues I've been having. Trying to be as methodical as possible and rule out any causes one by one.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Yes, but I'm still working on the follow mode. It's the DYS 5d something or other with larger 60mm motor on yaw and roll. 50mm on pitch. Haven't put my 5D MK II on it yet, but it should be fine for just shooting stills. I'm still learning to fly and hoping I can get away with tweaking the follow mode to keep my legs out of the frame. I'm don't want to add retracts or CineStar type landing legs unless I have to. I'm liking the weight right now it's flying nicely on 15". I bought 6 CF 16', but haven't felt the need to put them on yet.

I've got a new AlexMos 32bit board that came with it (never used) that's for sale if anybody is interested. I'm all in on the Centerpiece......

I'm going to start experimenting with letting my 3s battery run down a little lower. Need a windy day for that. Have been changing after 2 flights. Voltage around 3.8- 3 .85. Will try going to 3.6 and see if it still holds.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Jim, is that a 3 axis?

Now that the gimbal is getting dialed in a bit, it's time to fly more tweak less.

Kloner, how about some tips for filming and flying. (keep in mind, I'm a one man flyer, no fpv, just a ntsc lcd connected to my radio).

Most of that flying was ATT mode, usually only use GPS mode when going higher up and holding. FYI, took my xAircraft off and put my Naza V2 on. Just easier to fly. Thinking of making my KDE 3520 quad into a hex.

JLO

Are you guys using the normal CP or the CPHV
When you guys (users) compare it to a tuned AM32Bit what are the main differences in your real life copters that makes the CP superior other than the price
thanks

jfro

Aerial Fun
I am using the standard CP. I have no idea what makes it superior. I just know, that so far, I get better footage on the CP than 16 months worth of 4 gimbals and 3-4 alexmos boards. I seriously doubt you need the CPHV for DSLR and down unless you want the 2nd IMU.

Caveat..... the CP is new and still under software developement. It will be take more time to ascertain if it's consistent and robust.

Precall

Some Phobotic Centerpiece flying today about an hour from my home at a friends house. Was very systematic in my calibration today. Always ran startup calibration on a flat surface, then hit switch #1 to turn off motors and moved to uneven location (except for 1 flight were ground was even and so was all the horizon on that shot). No issues flying except my video TX went out on me 2/3's of the way through so had to frame by guessing, not by sight. Footage is not touched except a few clips have a color curve on them. Shot at 60fpt rendered at 30fps @ 720p. Shot on Gh3 on DIY x8 w/ 3515 - 400KV motors and 15" props. AUW around 19- 19.5 lbs.

I put in a couple horizon shots where it was off momentarily. Some flights horizon was good, others I had an occasional horizon go out a bit. When it did go out a little, it seems the lower side was to the west or north west and that may only be because it's most notable with the water. It also corrected in short time when it was off a bit.

All in all, the Centerpiece did it's job today. I did a half dozen flights with my Gopro/Alexmos based quad, and it gave me some problems as I added a nd filter which seems to want to be recalibrated, which I didn't get sorted out. If I were to use any of that footage, it would all have to be run through warp stabilizer. To bad I wasted a pretty good day messing with that. All in all, will get more flying time with the Centerpiece and less fiddling with settings.

**** originally posted 3520 motors, they are 3515 Avroto's.

Just wanted to make it clear for the sake of accuracy that it has been established on rcgroups that this video contains footage shot with Image Stabilisation turned on...
quote jfro : "The Vimeo clip is a combination of footage with and without the image stabilizer turned on....."

SamaraMedia

View attachment 22765

My CP arrived today, purchased on Black Friday so things should be shipping now. Guess I have no excuse now for not completing my DSLR gimbal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 426
Last edited by a moderator: