A2 Dilemma

Jumpy07

I am now over 90 successful flights on A2, flew over 2 hours total over the sea this week for a client.. no issues at all..

Due to the posts on here.. I decided to buy WKM for my new S900... wish I had just bought another A2.... WKM flys nice .. but A2 would have given me a few more features like auto retracts etc..

Old Man

I love it, brand loyalty that is. Some people have no issues (yet) so without qualifying the people that have had issues it's instantly presumed the user was the fault of the failure. So after 40+ years in all aspects of RC, 10 years of high tempo military grade/theater UAV operations as operator, maintainer, instructor, sensor operator, problem resolution, customer service, programming upgrades, ground control system installations, and sUAS research and development projects, issues with a low grade flight controller had to be the fault of an unqualified user that took the time to download the entire user instruction package, print it out, and use it continually during the installation and programming process. Of course that conclusion was derived without referencing any of the communications between the user and DJI direct or the DJI support line. I understand how it must have all been my fault since it hasn't happened to another, yet....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

I love it, brand loyalty that is. Some people have no issues (yet) so without qualifying the people that have had issues it's instantly presumed the user was the fault of the failure. So after 40+ years in all aspects of RC, 10 years of high tempo military grade/theater UAV operations as operator, maintainer, instructor, sensor operator, problem resolution, customer service, programming upgrades, ground control system installations, and sUAS research and development projects, issues with a low grade flight controller had to be the fault of an unqualified user that took the time to download the entire user instruction package, print it out, and use it continually during the installation and programming process. Of course that conclusion was derived without referencing any of the communications between the user and DJI direct or the DJI support line. I understand how it must have all been my fault since it hasn't happened to another, yet....

You should take that comment with a grain of salt (it's the internet after all!). I'm pretty sure we can all agree that some people have had defective A2's, no doubt about it! But a lot of the problems are usually from users. Same with Phantom 2, Naza M V2 and WKM! In your case, you most likely had a defective unit, which happens. It sucks like there's no tomorrow since it's expensive + can cost you a rig!

Heck i recall someone trying a friend's A2 GPS puck and had zero issues after that... for that case it looks like a defective A2 GPS puck.

Some of us simply think that it's been blown out of proportion, again, the internet does that. It doesn't seem to be like the WKM issue a year or so ago, with the flip of doom, which seems to affect a lot of unit. Hundreds of video's about it, thousands of threads and comments on numerous forums. Compared to A2 which only has a few of each...

Cbergen

My only loyalty is to my customers. I'm selling them a complete turnkey unit, and I use only components that I'm comfortable selling to them.

After all, if their unit crashes for whatever reason, they look to me not DJI, or OS, or Exceed, or any other companies components that I use. I'm the one that sold them this unit, with the equipment I suggested.

My reputation is on the line, not DJI's.

I also have many years in RC, and Military, and Commercial Aviation. Guess what? I still make the occasional mistake. I have installed the IMU to the left and programmed it to the right... I have had the motors spinning the wrong way... It happens. If you can't admit to making errors on occasion, if you wanna claim infallibility, I have to call horse****...

Can there be a bad FC or GPS unit on occasion? Absolutely! Just like any other electronic unit.... But it's not an indictment of the whole brand or line of units. Because YOU may have come across a bad unit does not mean all other units are suspect. Because I have never had a bad system does not mean all systems are perfect, and I never stated it was.

One has to also be aware of individuals with an axe to grind, just as there are "fan boys". Are you one of those?

Jumpy07

I certainly have no brand loyalty in the sense I think you mean.. and certainly don't think I am a fanboy... I have used, and still use many FC's...... those that know me.. know that I was heavily involved in APM 2.5 scene.

I bought an A2 just after they were first released..so at that time no one was complaining of any issues... I can only make comments on my own experience operating an A2 for aerial work... on the initial firmware I had GPS issues.. but since FW 2.2... have had no problems..... personally have had many more issues with other FC's...

I also jointly run a well known UK MR forum.. and asked others members using A2 if they had any issues... nothing was reported..

However would accept that it does appear that some have had issues.. but would appear the overall to be a small number .. compared to those flying ok.... you would expect some failures on any FC... are they above the norm... ?...have no idea.. certainly see more failures reported on other FC's..

Clogz

Skunking about...

Which flight controller(s) are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Cbergen. Having just experienced an A2 flip/roll of death, I'm curious to know how you determined what the cause was? Flight Log analysis?

Thank you,

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hello Cbergen. Having just experienced an A2 flip/roll of death, I'm curious to know how you determined what the cause was? Flight Log analysis?

Thank you,
just noticed that this is an old thread! doh!

Cbergen hasn't been here in a long time, you might not get a response.

Cbergen

Been very busy lately, we really need to add more hours to the day... :)

Bart, your email system alerted me to the post, works great!

To answer the question, how do I find the issue....

If it's something that I've done incorrectly, I very simply go back through my setup, mechanical AND electronic. Here's an example, recently testing a new hexacopter, the initial hover was fine, climbed up to appx 8 ft where it stared a massive oscillation, front to back.

I lowered the throttle, trying to time the oscillations to land it on its feet, but it still ended up on its side, breaking a prop or two, but no other damage.

What I found was that I had written in an incorrect value in the X axis, basically a + instead of - in the IMU setting. Why? Probably distracted, by a phone call, walk in customer, any of 100 things.

My theory on why it hovered initially, THEN started trying to flip? I try to keep the values to a minimum, so while the value was the wrong direction, it wasn't far off. So on liftoff, straight up, it had no issues. But once it encountered some wind, requiring the autopilot to correct for an upset, the negative value sent the correction in the wrong direction... Then how did it just not flip over? MY correction input on the sticks! So basically me and the IMU are fighting one another for level!

Going through the setup again on the bench, verifying my values, is where I find the discrepancy. Subsequent test flights were uneventful, shipped it out last Thursday to the customer.

In the event that I can't find anything mechanically wrong, or in my setup, then I prefer to fly with a DJI OSD MKII, with the data logging capability. With this unit, you can review the logs, see if there was an electronic discrepancy, AND you can send these logs to DJI for analysis.

The point of all this is, as I wrote earlier, it's easy to blame the unit, the aircraft, the wind, the sun, the planet alignments, whatever. But FIRST we should check our own inputs, maybe even have another set of eyes check our work. As a full scale helicopter and commercial airliner mechanic, I ALWAYS had another mechanic look at my work, and I checked theirs. Not because I was a bad mechanic, because I was a good one.

Cbergen

I am/ we are! For the past 9 -12 months we've been busy with large gov't/corporate orders, requiring a lot of hours to complete, hence my absence. At the end of the day I just want to veg and relax, not necessarily jump on the forums... :)

I've got a few days until our next hyper build order comes in, so I thought I would look around, peek up into the world a bit to see what's going on... Lol!