Aeronavics / Droidworx Pete's VM-6 Hexa build blog...

nicwilke

I still haven't decided how / where to put the esc's. I'm looking at AD builds online to get some tips. I think I will make longer standouts from the hub up to the FC adapter board and put them under the adapter board. The u/c isn't tall so I am needing to plan my camera gimbal carefully.

I'm done in the shed tonight. Crappy headache that drugs wont move. I had a really busy week with long hours last week and it has caught up with me I suspect.

I put my 8 ESCs under the centre plates, tip to tail, sandwiched together in 4's, 4 front, 4 back between the payload rails. Get no cooling, but never been an issue with mine.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Efliernz

Pete
Thanks Nick. I have one motor to go. It is looking good but it's smaller than my Octo... mind you I built it too big.

I needed a break... so I decided to have a small break and do some aerial patrolling of MY park ;)
I normally record the Gopro in medium but I had a small play with wide for a change...

Back to the building...

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Back to it.

All motors on and now the esc wiring to do. I still haven't settled on esc location. I will probably put the under the hub and make longer u/c brackets (instead of the lexan ones).
I considered having the esc's under the dome but by the time I add the FC, rx, Ubec's etc, it will look messy!

146976801.jpg

Efliernz

Pete
I decide to put the esc's under the frame and make an extension bracket to join the u/c to the frame. I may get a GPS board at some stage so I wanted all electronics down out the way.

146982204.jpg

They are soldered into 2 groups of three esc's, then Y-lead join to an EC5 connector. All soldered. No power-distribution.

All esc-motor connections were soldered and heat-shrunk.
Pete's top tip!
I used a servo tester to determine the direction for the motor wires verses the A-B-C on the esc on the first motor. I then alternated two wires on the next motor. Hence the CW/CCW labels on the arms.

At 7:30 pm tonight... after setting the Hoverfly Pro up, out came the camera and the daughter to record the first flight. It was nearly dark so no theatrics... just proof it flies. Tx trims set to zero... easy!

146982205.jpg

146982207.jpg

Thanks Droidworx for an awesome little machine. I look forward to getting my camera system on it.

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
I have two boards - this one came out of my "good" quad. I still have one in my diy octo.

I like them - no gps, just the basic setup with stabilized camera. The auto-level is awesome and adjustable in how strong it wants to go to level. I do AP with AL set to 10%. It gently goes to level when I release the sticks.
The ability of the HF in wind is awesome. I have flown my older heavy diy hexa in 25mph in turbulence (leeward of trees) - where Stacky just laughed at what weather I was flying in! I am looking farward to sorting out my diy camera mount for the VM-6. While I mainly fly photo work with my RX100, I also want to do some light-weight video.

nicwilke

Congratulations, the first of the new series droidworx in the air.
2 days build? OMG, the pressure is on. My XM-6 is probably at the depot in my town now, awaiting tomorrow morning delivery. I'll start 7pm tomorrow night when the 2.5 year old daughter goes to sleep.

Efliernz

Pete
I looked all over the XM during my visit... and the SJ. Drool!

Mine took longer than it should have because of the mods I made for X-mode, and I also had to machine slots into the bases of my motors as the are better suited to the 50mm mount, not 40 that I got!

It was my 12th or 13th build. I think I have a routine with my wiring by now! It is my 5th Hoverfly build. The camera mount will take me a week or two.

nicwilke

I looked all over the XM during my visit... and the SJ. Drool!

Mine took longer than it should have because of the mods I made for X-mode, and I also had to machine slots into the bases of my motors as the are better suited to the 50mm mount, not 40 that I got!

It was my 12th or 13th build. I think I have a routine with my wiring by now! It is my 5th Hoverfly build. The camera mount will take me a week or two.

The new one tomorrow will be my 7th, but 2nd Droiworx. I dont think I'll go to any other brand now.

Efliernz

Pete
The quality was awesome. If work picks up, I could see me with a XM-8 without a doubt.
While mine took extra long being X-mode and needing extra holes, I have emailed Linda with details of how I did it. 8 extra holes, buy a couple of extra parts and it is sorted.

nicwilke

The quality was awesome. If work picks up, I could see me with a XM-8 without a doubt.
While mine took extra long being X-mode and needing extra holes, I have emailed Linda with details of how I did it. 8 extra holes, buy a couple of extra parts and it is sorted.
Yeah, I was wondering if I should have got the Octo, but the hexa is pretty much suited to its purpose.

Efliernz

Pete
My old hexa flew through turbulence far better than my octo. I made the right choice for my purpose and payload.

The bigger machine would not be any better when the payload is still small. Just pointless. The day I have a bigger machine is because I am carrying a larger heavier camera...

Good luck for today ;)

nicwilke

Good luck for today ;)

Nothing yet... any car/bus or van that passes, I'm jack-in-the-box up out of my chair... FFS!!! I'm a grown man, and acticting like a child. What is it about this new Droidworx stuff that's so exciting... LOL.

My Dog is sitting by my side, and jumps up with me as we rush out the front door to the driveway. He jumps up onto the picket fence and we're both bitterly disappointed the vehicle isnt the FedEx contractor. tick-tock-tick-tock.

My wife is in her studio out the back, and thinks this is all too funny.

Efliernz

Pete
Nothing yet... any car/bus or van that passes, I'm jack-in-the-box up out of my chair... FFS!!! I'm a grown man, and acticting like a child. What is it about this new Droidworx stuff that's so exciting... LOL.

My Dog is sitting by my side, and jumps up with me as we rush out the front door to the driveway. He jumps up onto the picket fence and we're both bitterly disappointed the vehicle isnt the FedEx contractor. tick-tock-tick-tock.

My wife is in her studio out the back, and thinks this is all too funny.

Oh dear... they left it in Sydney by mistake!!! ;)

nicwilke

Hey, unwrapping the box is like something from a boutique fashion shop, with brown recycled tissue paper and droidworx stickers.
My wife said "Their attention to detail is fantastic"....

Sorry, this is your build blog, I'll start my own eh?
View attachment 7365

Attachments

• 20121029_124132.jpg
    20121029_124132.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 338

Efliernz

Pete
Start an XM build blog... it's all good info for those that want to see how good DW builds are. U get chocolates in yours? I got chocolates! (and spare parts that I shouldn't have that I'm returning... I'm too honest!)

Attention to detail was awesome. You can tell the women in the team do the packing!