NAVIGATOR SERIES of Tiger motor

I'm trying to decide between the 4014 kv400 motors and the 3515-15 kv400 motors. I have seen people posting comments saying the new 40xx series motors should be more efficient.

I'm building a Skyjib X8 to run on 6s and 15 or 16 x5 props, AV200 and up to 5d camera. Have put the calcs in ecalc and it says the 3515 is more efficient and gives longer flight times.

Anyone tried these motors or have any thoughts?

Thanks
Craig

MN4014 kv400
View attachment 11716

MT3515-15 kv400
View attachment 11717

Same thing here, I'm looking for the best motors to fit a heavy lift octa and I'm between 3515 and 4012.
I expected 4012 to be at least more eficient, anyone knows why it's not?
Sure 4012 are very good motors but if 3515 is really still better I will stick to that!

Eggbeater

I'm with you guys. What's the deal, Tiger Motors? Thought the MN series was supposed to be more effecient. I am also trying to choose between MT3515-15 and MN4012-13. Apples to apples, the MT seems more effecient even though they are heavier and bigger than the MN's. For my eCalcs I used a Hex...5.5kg...excellant cooling...14x8 props (15x5 are most effecient but I hate CF and love the Graupner 14x8 for strength)...6s 10000mah (I use 11800)...zero elevation.

To me, it seems that the MN is less effecient than the MT and that most of the re-design of the MN is about prop adaption. I did note that the MT has a 5mm shaft and the MN has a 4mm. If the smaller shaft means a bigger bearing, then that might be ok. But who knows if Tiger won't respond to our questions? Seems all I am getting is "They work good" or "We use this" type stuff.

We may be dummies but not that dumb. You tell me what add'l info you need and I'll supply it. Then tell me which is the best motor for my application.

Hugues

Hi,I did an extensive analysis of different combinations of prop sizes and tiger motors for an heavy lift octocopter (about 5kg) using fixed constraints of 40 amps ESC and 1130gr battery weight (for example a 8000mah 6S or a 10.000mah 4S). This shows also that contrarily to what tiger motors says, the MT series is much more efficient than the MN series : you get less amps consumption, longer flight time, more thrust (all other thiings being equal). But this analysis does not take into account the fact that MT motors are 2 times heavier than MN series (for example the MT3515-400Kv is 188 grams while the MN3510-360KV is only 97 grams). Now if we reject the MT series becasue of their huge weight versus the MN equivalent (especially in an octocopter because the 100 gram weight difference is multiplied by 8 !) , and thus if we analyse only the MN series, my conclusion id the following: the MN3510-25 (360Kv) is the best of all for my 5Kg octocopter. Indeed it provides for 6S 8000mah battery, 15x4 props a flight time duration of more than 15 minutes with a 44% throttle in hover. The throttle% at hover even goes down to 39% with 15x5 props (same flight time duration). In comparison the 4012 and 4014 do not provide as much thrust and get only 9 to 11 minutes of flight time duration. I attached here a picture of the excel sheet showing the details of the analysis. (By the way, what an unusable editor : I do not find how to put text at a new line, the image insertion is bugged and does not work. Sorry I cannot thus attach the analysis file. For those interested, email me then. They should really update their forum software; this is awful)

Interested in your assessment; the MT gives better flight times, more thrust and is more efficient. Surely then the extra weight is irrelevant? If an extra 400g of weight gives me an extra 3 minutes of flight time, I'm taking it. :)

It should be noted that I'm keeping within all safe parameters on ecalc as my starting point; the 3510 end up (theoretically) over-powered on my rig, but the 3515's are all in the black. It would appear to be the maximum watt rating; the 3515's are massive 900w, while the 3510's are only 330w...I wonder what the difference is, and how much I can trust ecalc? Just a pity Tmotor don't have the stats for a 3510 turning a 15" with 6S :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugues

Interested in your assessment; the MT gives better flight times, more thrust and is more efficient. Surely then the extra weight is irrelevant? If an extra 400g of weight gives me an extra 3 minutes of flight time, I'm taking it. :)

It should be noted that I'm keeping within all safe parameters on ecalc as my starting point; the 3510 end up (theoretically) over-powered on my rig, but the 3515's are all in the black. It would appear to be the maximum watt rating; the 3515's are massive 900w, while the 3510's are only 330w...I wonder what the difference is, and how much I can trust ecalc? Just a pity Tmotor don't have the stats for a 3510 turning a 15" with 6S :-(

Well according to eCalc (which seems to be trustful at about 10% precision), the huge wattage of the 3515 is not necessary (it explains why this motor is twice heavier than the 3510). Even with 15x4 propellers on 6S batteries the 330 Watts of the 3510 are enough. An optimized configuration does not oversize the wattage because it just adds weight to your craft. For info on an octocopter the extra weight of the MT3515 versus MN3510 is 800 grams (not 400 gr) !
View attachment 13481

Attachments

• Sans titre 2.jpg
    Sans titre 2.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited by a moderator: