Pete's diy Big Hex Mk2 build blog

Efliernz

Pete
I'm already flying a fold-able tricopter with a diy tilt-mount to carry the LX3 camera but it's too heavy to fly as a regular AP machine.

While I could simply buy a turn-key large lifter, I enjoy the design and build process. I also like using techniques that don't require large $$$. Less carbon, more ali and wood.

The goal: A fold-able hex that can lift a diy pan and tilt mount with the LX3 camera with downlink

I already have a diy under-slung Trex600 mount that has done me well for 4 years. Pan 30 degrees each way, tilt to vertical. The engineering will be very similar here.

The Hex

Motors: rctimer BC2836-11 750KV, esc's rctimer 30A. Controller - test hop with a kk baord (already hex configured) but I'll be going the CC way :cool:

I like them large. I regularly get to 400' with the T600. I want the same from the hex.
Large carbon plate (top and bottom of frame/hub) is difficult to get (without selling the children) in New Zealand.

Options - laminate 2 layers of balsa and glass or carbon cloth each side as a sandwich. Possibly next frame.
Chosen route - 3mm pine plywood top and bottom. Easy and simple.

Arms. I tried 12mm pine in Mk1 but they flexed too much. 12x1mm aluminium is lighter than square tube. Harder to work with (getting things straight) but there is a way :cool:

The clamps / motor mounts are 12.5mm balsa laminated with 2mm ply top and bottom. Light and strong. I drilled through with a 12mm bit and pushed them on the tubes. Quite tight and oh so light :) Alignment will be done on the table before the clamps/mounts are either glued or screwed to the ali arms.

Here is the progress so far...

135571507.jpg

135571508.jpg

135571509.jpg

135571513.jpg

The 10x10x1mm ali channels underneath will give the hard-points for the mount while adding rigidity to the 3mm ply deck.

Time now to thread wire through the tubes. I have heard that it is good to have the esc's at least 75mm from the rx and controller. I'll probably put mine under the motor mounts. Can't go further than that!!!

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
Once tested, I will look at removing the outer screws of the central arms and and installing magnetic blocks to hold the arms in place. One step at a time...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
pete,
nice looking work!
is that balsa in between the plywood for the arm holders? you might want to drill it out a bit more and put a sleeve of some sort (CF, aluminum, GF, etc.) in there as the balsa will crush and wear if the arms are being put in and out on a regular basis. any movement in there will confuse the FC as it's trying to maintain order.
bart

Efliernz

Pete
I hear you - but the arms will stay in the balsa (probably cyno once aligned) - they will not pull out. The side arms will swivel, one forward and one back and resecure with bolts at the moment but magnets in the future.

rockynz

Hi Pete,

I like your build so far and am doing something similar myself. I based my one on flycam 925 motors and 10x4.5 props.

Do you know what props your going to use and how much thrust you'll have per motor?

I have also been thinking about your using magnets to secure the folding arms. Is it ok to have them so close to FC and Rx etc?

Chris

matwelli

hey Rocky

about 800 grams on 10 by 4.5's with those motors, similar to the flycam 925's, if running 3S
4S will get you around 1.3 kg per motor

we need an update pete

rockynz

thanks Mat,

hey can you recommend a good quality ESC to use with the 925's. Thats all I need to get now, should have motors on Monday morning and FC anytime soon :)

matwelli

ESC of choice is the Turnigy Plush 20 or 30 amp, 4S capable, and a nice esc, the RCtimer 20 and 30 also work well

Efliernz

Pete
My hex has been redesigned. There were problems with the wood crushing so I'm now using 12mm square aluminium arms. I'm starting again.
I have looked into anodizing my ali arms instead of painting but the cost of acid and colouring was too much (at this stage).

Using rctimer 750kv motors - I have several prop options. I have some 10x3.8 APC props which are great for lightweight testing and 10x4.7 APCs once I load an extra kg on board. I haven't found a local 11x3.8 APC seller, in fact the only shop I've found with them is in the US of A.

My first test-hex was so light that even with 10x3.8 props, I needed 300g of ballast to make it controllable.

I am using 25A Plush esc's but I also have 6 x 30A rctimer escs but they had timing issues with the Minsoo Kim KK board.

Pete

p.s. Rocky - how Stratford? I left there in 1990... after I saw the light!

matwelli

I can safely say the RC timer 30 amp esc's have no issues with either ardupilot or copter control, but to be safe, i run the copter control at 350 updates per second

rockynz

Hey Pete,
I only go to Stratty for my groceries really. Don't like towns much:p Live just outside of Midhurst actually, got a ten acre lifestyle block and a few horses. Spend most of my time there when I'm not working:)

I just put in an order to rctimer for 6 30amp ESC's and then see you say about the timing issues.:( Hope I don't have the same problem, I will be using Open Pilot CC FC.

Haha all good I just saw the above post! Cheers Mat

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
The rctimer issues are a kk board problem (that only I have apparently on both boards). I'm running new firmware so I'll have a test this week. Gotta got fly this morning. I have an AP shoot on my boss's 3.5 acre block in Cambridge that he is selling.

10 acres... that's handy! The council mows my park over the fence :)

matwelli

good stuff, im soldering some batteries, charging a transmitter and heading to the hawera airfield at 10 to maiden the Radian, and prob fly the V8

rockynz

@Pete...Haha our horses do the mowing around here man!

@Mat...Bummer I'd like to see that but I have other orders :-(

@Stacky...You can get them ready milled from HobbyHanger and KK multicopter Worldwide if thats any help

Efliernz

Pete
Man it was cold out there today. I flashed my kk-hex board with tri firmware (V1.7), swapped and calibrated and off I went. 45 minutes airtime today from 3 pilots. Hamilton is about to become tri capital of NZ!
30 minutes of video to edit into something small. Four loops (although without camera payload) and this board goes out of trim worse than the original tri kk board when looping. 1/2 fwd stick required after loop. Not good but if I behave, it's great all the way through.

Time to put the Paris V3 board on the tri after the chores are done... once I sort out how to config it.

@Stacky - how big are you going with the x8??? I'm sitting on 800mm engine-engine in my hex design.

Stacky

Im looking at about 800mm motor to motor as well and I will be using 12 inch props. Im using the x468HD frame which is big enough to carry a decent camera gimbal for a Canon t3i. Ive done a mock up with square wood dowel arms and it looks about right.