Pete's diy Big Hex Mk2 build blog

matwelli

@stacky - looks good

@rock - you are just special

@pete - where are the boards from ? just curious if you have found a good supply

matwelli

wow thats cheap, im tempted to buy a couple, are they atmega 168's ? assume so as they mention xx software

rockynz

:cool: Aww thanks Mat!

I'm gunna have to download the GCS sometime but may leave it untill CC is in my hot little hand. Have to get on OP forums and read up on it a bit because I have a Mac to run it on. Must admit some off the stuff on there a bit above me!

Efliernz

Pete
wow thats cheap, im tempted to buy a couple, are they atmega 168's ? assume so as they mention xx software

The are atmega boards and compatible to all kk type firmware downloads. They sell the lcd programmer for it or you can use the AVR-usb loader. Postage is up there but 3 boards for approx $110... it is worth a play.

Efliernz

Pete
I tested the hex again tonight. I changed the 10x3.8 props to 10x4.5 (rctimer) and 10x4.7 APC. I carried a 600g load and a 750g load with the 3S 6600mA combo battery. I liked it. I didn't have time to put the wattmetter on it yet. It flew well and handled the swirling wind ok. 12x4.5 will be too much for the motors I suspect so I'm looking for 11x4.7s now... but that is unlikely in NZ - suggestions?

It was successful enough to seriously look at my diy camera mount options :D

Pete

rockynz

Hey Pete,
good to hear the testing going so well! I have my hexa half built but the folding part not going as I planned:( I made it too neat and realized when I place the ESC's it can't fold completely.
Am going to put the project aside and go the Y6 route:cool: I think I may loose a little thrust over a hexa but at the same time I also loose almost half the weight on the frame.
The frame I want has to be very portable as a lot of the places i wish to use it are only accessible by copious amounts of walking:rolleyes:

Oh yeah I got my CC today! Yay:cool:

matwelli

Good stuff on the CC
Before use you may need to update the firmware
Give me a yell if ya need any help !

Efliernz

Pete
OK my old man has alzheimers and I think Im half way there as well so if Ive already mentioned this forgive me.... with respect to diy camera mounts this might be a useful link Pete http://vimeo.com/26002335

Thanks. I have a proper look later.
I'm after a stills platform 1st. That is what I need as my primary AP business. Movies are a completely different world...

rockynz

Cool,
you'll need to be doing your testing inside today I think:rolleyes:
Is this the board with RTL and Alt. hold? I'd be interested in those features in the future:cool:

Efliernz

Pete
Some days despite the gales... you just have to show off to visitors :)

I've just done a hop with the hex (with 700g of ballast) on the lawn. It handled it really well. So did I ;)

It also acted as a leaf mulcher much better than the tri! Sorry - no (uploadable) video but my mate recorded it on his phone to show his workmate who was bragging that he had bought a a Parrot for his iphone...

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
Between thunderstorms, rain and 50km'h winds I managed a test flight on my lawn (more sheltered than my park) but still swirling and horible. AUW 3kg with 6600 3s batteries and 800g ballast. Hover 33Amps. Accelerated climbs hit 60A. That's only 10A motor and I was pushing it.

The battery mount is attached underneath. Now I'm working on the mount...

Pete

Efliernz

Pete
Perfect weather so time for a hop. Gopro on top of the controller "dome". It is so stable. It flew very well - much to the surprise of a Droidworx AD8 owner at indoor-flying last Friday night.
KK board at the moment but a CC board is immanent...

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
The OpenPilot CC board arrived this week (thanks Mat Welli / http://southerncross-uav.com/ )
I've had a rough week and haven't researched how to drive this board properly yet. I have a "Big Boyz Toyz" expo to fly at in two weeks so I really wanted something different to my tri and Trex700 helis.

After a few gain-adjusting hops... here is 2 minutes of the first battery...

Flying in stabilized mode roll & pitch. Almost flyable Lots of fiddling to yet but it goes ok. I’ll build the lighter one now while I continue to play with this. I’ll have a go at Rate mode tomorrow I hope which is of course what I’m used to.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator: