Pete's diy Big Hex Mk2 build blog

rockynz

Wow I'd be a very happy man if my Y6 flies like that. Nice job Pete!
I should be out in the shed right now, but my eyes are too tired. I need to feel good if I'm going to rewire 6 esc's, soldering needs to be right.

Efliernz

Pete
Hi Chris.

I've had a really rough week so I've only put a couple of hours into the CC board. My parents are up here and return to Stratford tomorrow so I hope to find out how I am supposed to program it! It is the first time I've flown a stabilized machine... well I can fly so why should I??? :)

Efliernz

Pete
40 minutes flight time now in calm and up to 10mph wind. I fly it mainly in stab-mode. Much nicer than manual but there is much more I can do in setup.
I experienced some power-cuts (0.1 seconds estimated) in the beginning. After moving the esc below that machine, away from the esc's and rerouted the rx wiring to avoid everything, I have had 40 minutes hit-free flying.

Time to put it on a diet... I am looking into replacing the 12mm ali arms with pine. I may well save 200-300g here.

Pete

View attachment 769View attachment 770

Attachments

• Petes hex.jpg
    Petes hex.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 355
  • nose in.jpg
    nose in.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 352

Efliernz

Pete
I broke it

After 2:30 of flying with the CC board and fitting an altimeter this morning, I broke it for the first time :(

At a 200' hover above my park, Motor 4 (south-west) started spluttering / lost power and down she came sideways really quickly. I reduced power and with lots of left-stick at 20', I tried to slow it down... not that successfully and she hit the ground...

Damage: Front and rear ali arms bent upwards (reshaped over my knee).
Rear prop lost a blade.
Trex-700 u/c bent - damn, don't have a spare.

Diagnosis: Me (technician by trade) appeared to have performed a sub-standard solder job at the motor end as one wire (while looking good under the shrink) pulled apart really easy while stripping it. Duh

Now re-tested without the u/c. It is about to be rebuilt as Mk3 so a bit more care will be taken.

No comments from the Y6 or X8 fliers - telling me it would have been savable if I only made Y6 or X8's!!!

Pete

View attachment 910View attachment 909

Attachments

• crash 1.jpg
    crash 1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 330
  • crash 2.jpg
    crash 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 293