Pete's diy Big Hex Mk2 build blog

Stacky

ok Ive settled for 860mm motor to motor just because it looks about right and the camera cant see the props.... I have room to shrink it if I need.

rockynz

Yeah its funny that things should look right eh? I did a mock up with motors at close to 1 meter to give the prop spacing I was looking for but it looked ugly! I settled on 800 motor to motor. Now if I'd had some 20mm dia. carbon tube I think 1 meter would have looked nicer. :)

Efliernz

Pete
800 doesn't seam big now...

It flies - test-hopped in a gale this afternoon. I'm using 10x3.8 APCs but I'll change to 10x4.7 before the next test. A small video to edit after tea...
1.6Kg empty, 2.2kg with batteries... damn that's heavy!

There is no nice way to hide 500g of wire and esc's! They are all stacked up like toast.

It flew first go... I altered the travels and gain but it was controllable from the start :D

Here's the proof. I am going to paint the wires on the top to match the arm colour to pretty it up a little. Just a camera mount now...

Pete

Attachments

• P1060201.jpg
    P1060201.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 287
  • P1060202.jpg
    P1060202.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:

rockynz

Nice job Pete,
its nice to have an idea of what weight I should be aiming for.
Do you already have a CC board to go in it? I want to run CC on my hex so it will be good to have someone to compare with.

Efliernz

Pete

No I don't have a cc board yet. I'm not too pushed about one yet as there is a huge amount of design and build needed for the u/c and camera mount. This is where I get "project creep"... what starts out simple ends up a stabilized 360 deg rotating work of art... or not!

rockynz

I'm thinking I'll make my camera mount tilt only and use yaw for the pan. Also have the fpv camera and GoPro or whatever aligned so I can see exactly what I'm shooting. You'd probably have some thoughts on the subject?

Stacky

Pete, its looking huge!. I used the same size Aluminium tubing but got the U shaped for my Hexa. My arms arent as long but I havent had any issues with flex or twisting. Are you going to try bigger props at all?

Efliernz

Pete
We shoot two-up for all commercial shoots with the heli.
I fly, Helen can pan 30-deg each way and tilt while looking at a 12" screen on a tripod. Helen also looks out for traffic (as does daughter for busy shoots), swats flies away from my face and talks to the public while I concentrate on flying.
I can solo-shoot (I have some "eyetop" glasses where if I look to the right, I can see 1 small video display) which is great when it's just me at the field playing. I can tilt and piro to guide the camera and shoot as required. Tilt-only really is ok for that.

I am aiming for a similar camera setup to my heli setup, only lighter. The heli setup can carry a dslr or video (or 2kg off toffees for the Xmas kids party) but the hex is being setup only for the LX3 or similar 280g camera and downlink. There is a large difference in designing a 30-deg pan and a 360 deg pan!

Lets see what I sketch while watching tv tonight.

The weight was more than I had calculated. 500g of wire and esc's blew me away! I may run 4S if required... more testing.

Pete

rockynz

You'd probably loose almost half that weight if you placed the ESC's on the arms?
I have to remember to take my scales to work in the morning. I got a feeling my build could get rather heavy if I'm not careful!

Stacky

Pete, I was able to carry my T3i canon under my Hexa but the hover point was too high. Im going to switch to 4s with the X8. The local Kite shop has some 10mm carbon fibre tubing but its just a bit too small for the motors. However because its so light (1/3rd the weight of alumnium tube) I am contemplating using 2 tubes per arm. I can put the 2 tubes in heat shrink and keep it all square with 3 of m3 bolts along the arm. Even with 2 tubes and the heat shrink its 1/3rd lighter than the aluminium tube and is a handy little saving over 4 arms. More build hassle though.

Efliernz

Pete
I don't know how much I'll save by moving the esc's onto the booms. I'll do some calculations.
I really wanted to try and make the square ali work. Round tubes are a pain in the butt. Extra clamps all add weight and complexity. I'm not mad on carbon with straight fibres, not weave.
I've looked at some of the carbon tube options at HobbyKing. They have some 14mm carbon tube (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6818 ) 750mm long and it weighs 48g. That is 26g per 400mm arm. I would need to customize clamps... lots of them. Even with clamps it would be a 200-250g saving I guess.
HK also have some 11mm tube (REALLY light) but it has a crappy review over it splitting - it has a 0.5mm wall! There's light and there's too light.

Dunno - I'll sleep on it. I have to go to Auckland for a work celebration tomorrow night so not much thinking on this.

matwelli

@everyone - stay away for a day (work) and you guys add two pages to the thread !

Hex looks good Pete - loose the individual ESC plugs ? , i arrange my ESC's (on the V8's) with the power wires in the centre, motor on the outside, and have all the wire go to a power dist board.

Nex build i will remove the h/shrink to expose the solder pads on the board, then daisy chain from esc to esc, with teh positive lead to the battery from the first esc and the negative lead from the last, that way the voltage drops are distributed, and not progressivly worse for each ESC

@rockynz - vea i love the V8 as well, need to build three more now !

@all - coptercontrol - need to test these boards i have , i guess i lost my enthusiasim a little bit a week or so ago... need to chec each one for noise, as these are development boads, already had one that had unmagageable acelerometer drift, and i aint sending one to you guys in that condition.

@rocky - did OpenPilot ever actually get back to you about buying a board ? when i gave them a list of 20+ peeps who wanted to buy, i suspect no-one has actually recieved a board ?

@stacky - photos of the new build man :)

@rocky - those nylon parts were made on a CNC machine (the guy owns one)
If you went fro square tube, not round, it would be easy to fab something up, just get a step drill and drill em to save weight

matwelli

@pete - that 14mm carbon is weak, have about 8 tubes here, going to use em for camera mounts - im using nylon cable glands to hold them

Stacky

Here you go, hijacking Pete's thread. Just needing motor mounts! :) I have a couple of bits of wooden dowling to replace with carbon fibre rods. This is a prototype x468HD frame and I will do the final build with the final version of the x468HD which has lighter frame plates. Right now that lot as pictured weighs 800g. The Hexa has heat shrink over the aluminium U shaped tube which allows me to hide the wiring.

View attachment 482

Attachments

• Angus.jpg
    Angus.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 297

Efliernz

Pete
At least the testing and building doesn't cost a lot :) I'll do some load testing on the hex as these are new motors using 10x3.8 and 10x4.7's and... well... I have a spare hex on the floor.

With my requirements for payload only being a 300g camera / DVC (+ rx, batt, servos and downlink) I am reconsidering the hex. If I know I have a good design, I won't mind spending $$$ on good carbon so the design steps and learnings are not wasted. I am reconsidering a heavylift tri knowing how awesome my existing tri is.

Back to work I guess... (not as if the brain stops ticking)

btw - I have 3 orders for a club tricopter build projects. Basically a non-profit throw together based on my folding tri. I have ordered some of the new kk 5.5 boards. Nothing fancy - just enough for the boys to have fun :D

Efliernz

Pete
Overview time... a time for 1st flight reflections...

Time to compare my Hex Mk2 to the RollsRoyce of frames... the Droidworx ADX-6 HeavyLifta.

DW frame is 720g. Add 6 motors at 75g each (450g). Add esc's, 6 x 22g (130g).
Total: 1300g.
Add wire and props... another 200g. I'm only 100g away from the goal (6.25%). I tested with 6600mA in the tank - not really required when I doubt I'll fly with more than 4000-5000mA.

So why am I concerned? I can probably loose that weight with moving the esc's onto the arms and cutting away spare wire.

I'll do a current measurement tomorrow (when I will probably find out each motor is idling at 6A!).

Off now to AKL to drink their wiskey... gotta love project sucess parties... and I'm a passenger :D

Pete

Stacky

Im going to regret going for round tube Im sure but It weighs 1/3rd less than the similar sized U shaped tube because of a different thickness. Pete, your doing really well with your weight on the hexa. If you really want to lose more weight you could drill some holes along the length of each arm and not lose too much strength. Im guessing that properly balanced props etc draws even less current?

rockynz

I cut my arms today and weighed them. Without any drilling or milling they are 579g. Not sure how much I can loose but even as they are I have 141g for the rest of the frame to be on par with DW Hex :)

@Mat...dankers answered my pm and I have purchased CC board and it should be in transit. I received an email stating it was posted 29/6 so hope its not too far away.
Hey, with the Minsoo Kim new blackboard is it possible to build V12 and Hexa12 ???? Just a thought:)

rockynz

I cut my arms today and weighed them. Without any drilling or milling they are 579g. Not sure how much I can loose but even as they are I have 141g for the rest of the frame to be on par with DW Hex :)

@Mat...dankers answered my pm and I have purchased CC board and it should be in transit. I received an email stating it was posted 29/6 so hope its not too far away.
Hey, with the Minsoo Kim new blackboard is it possible to build V12 and Hexa12 ???? Just a thought :)

WTF!! sorry guys don't understand how this post up twice???????