Peli Case for S800 &/or Z15

hazardpro

£100 sounds very cheap for high density cut foam, especially a 1off. Id pull there arm of!

How would you supply the design? I'm guessing they would either need very accurate drawings or you would have to send all of it to them (not ideal)?

plingboot

once i've worked out/settled on the position of everything i'd recreate it as a flat/accurate diagram (assuming straight down cuts) in Illustrator CS and supply as either an .eps or a .dxf file.

vislaw

I've been flying my S800 in the Pelican 0340 Cube case for awhile now and am very happy with it. You can pick it up new on ebay for $200 with foam and it meets the major airline baggage size limits. The wheels are quick release so you just roll it to the ticket counter and pop off the wheels. You need to slide out the long landing skids to fit it into the bottom, but that's the only disassembly you have to do. I elected to use bubble wrap and cut foam pieces to secure the Zenmuse with camera mount. I also added the optional mesh lid organizer, which works very nicely to pack tools, lipo meter, spare parts, etc.

Of course, if I wasn't a cheap bastard I would buy a custom case or use a bigger Pelican and just pay the oversize baggage fees. But I can take two of these for free on Southwest, which flies pretty much everywhere I need to go here in the US, so this works well for me.

Attachments

• Pelican02.jpg
    Pelican02.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 440
  • PelicanCase.jpg
    PelicanCase.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 471
Last edited by a moderator:

yelmarb

Great work Jack, thank you for sharing the build details. I'm assuming you've packed in 4 lipos into the case as well. Do you know what the total weight is when it's fully packed?

jayfrost

Thanks for the info from Jack, I was able to build out my case this week. Got the clamps on line from http://www.morrisproducts.com/wire-management/adjustable-cable-clamp.asp and the case from Amazon.

Overall a very simple project that made into one perfect travel case. I would recommend this for anyone that is looking for something that can handle the S800 and Z15. Plenty of room for spare batteries and Transmitters.

Thanks for the info Jack
View attachment 8519View attachment 8520View attachment 8521View attachment 8522View attachment 8523View attachment 8524View attachment 8525View attachment 8526View attachment 8527

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 488
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 412
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 400
  • Image00006.jpg
    Image00006.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Image00007.jpg
    Image00007.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 389
  • Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 446
  • Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 337

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Thanks for sharing Jay

is the Pelican 1660 the smallest case the s800/z15 will fit in. I know 0340 was mentioned but I cant see the arms and how its tucked in. My concern with 1660 is that it dont seem to fit in most car trunk/boot

jayfrost

Depth wise, it seems like it is the best choice, so you can leave the S800 with the Z15 assembled. I used to have a 1690 and it was too shallow to fully allow the frame to be stored assembled. I kept a lot of the spare foam to pack in the open areas when I ship the case. When I am using it locally and I am the only one handling the case I feel confident it can handle a few bumps without the additional need for the extra foam. I also use a pelican 1600 to hold my dx8 and dx18 plus batteries and other small odds and ends.

J

SkyKapture

-:: Travel Addict ::-
Peli-Hardigg Case

Pelican also makes Peli-Hardigg cases built specifically (I presume) for military applications. For US buyers (not necessarily us Europeans) the price should be well below the travel case from Digitech. It is also lighter at around 10kgs (22lbs), and the S800 will fit a lot more snuggly than the flightcase The AL2216-1205 has the right dimensions to take the supplied prop/arm foam in the base & by cutting a bit of the foam sides away, the landing gear can sit perfectly on top with the Zenmuse attached, yet low enough to shut the lid. I haven't got my Zenmuse yet, but when I do I plan to cut or pluck the right hole out of a cube of foam and slide that over the gimbal & camera whenever packing. And that still leaves room for the main board, TX, batteries and even a charger to sit in their own foam under the battery tray. I'm still waiting for the case so this is all speculation. Calculated speculation, but speculation never the less.

http://peli.com/en/cases/al2216-1205-single-lid-case

SkyKapture

-:: Travel Addict ::-
there is none , the landing gear is to high
that said we have special flight cases made for the S800
http://shop.jet-1a.com/product_info...=2354&osCsid=18881b6f2a6a122e5b5e7868c465ad2b

There is also this company in the Netherlands that seem to do the same product for about a third of the price. Enter the exact internal dimensions required and choose if you want it built for you or sent for you to build. In this quote I chose readymade and it costs €17.50 to ship in Europe (€35 other countries). And there's even an option for Ultralight which brings this case down to 10kg for an extra €75. Still way under the €690 Digitech is charging. And the picture seems surprisingly similar. Sorry mate.

View attachment 8763

Attachments

• Flightcase.JPG
    Flightcase.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 373

Ditto here in Canada there is UK Cases, i.e., Underwater Kinetics, which actually are even better IMHO than the Pelican cases and at much lower prices. They match or exceed the sizes and colors of Pelican with only a couple of exceptions. Not sure why they don't advertise more and sell internationally.

vislaw

Ditto here in Canada there is UK Cases, i.e., Underwater Kinetics, which actually are even better IMHO than the Pelican cases and at much lower prices. They match or exceed the sizes and colors of Pelican with only a couple of exceptions. Not sure why they don't advertise more and sell internationally.

They do have some interesting cases but the pricing seems to be higher than comparable Pelican cases: http://www.uwkinetics.com/cases/overview ... at least for the larger ones.

Underwater Kinetics provides very significant discounts (relative to published MSRP) when you call in your order. And when they appear each year at the World Oil Shows they bring hundreds to sell at the show a similar deep discounts.

plingboot

Played pick-n-pluck with my 1660 this weekend.

So far i've got the landing gear with zen/camera mounted and the centre plate with gps mast in one side and my radio and netbook in the other and there's a reasonable amount of space left for more gear.

Arms will go in the lid, like the others have done.

Once i've finalised the layout i'm going to bond the three foam layers together with 3M 90 and then use a few pieces of double sided tape between the foam and case side to stop the 'thin' edges from flopping in.

For those that haven't seen a 1660 - it's f****n' huge and f****n' heavy - ideal for the purpose at hand, but if you've not got the space to store it, it could be a royal PIA.

vislaw

Underwater Kinetics provides very significant discounts (relative to published MSRP) when you call in your order. And when they appear each year at the World Oil Shows they bring hundreds to sell at the show a similar deep discounts.
I would be very interested if anybody could tell me what the discounted price would be for the 1627 Loadout case: http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/1627-loadoutcase It looks to me like it may be the biggest possible case that still meets the 62-inch checked baggage limit. But the $600 price with foam seems way overpriced. How deep are the discounts you have found in terms of percentage off MSRP?

You are on the international site... Just select the contact icon and email or talk to them directly.
The deals from the Canadian site might be different/better and shipping distance is also a factor in the final price. And I live close to the manufacturing facility or main NA distributor.

http://www.underwaterkineticscanada.com/