Tau Labs OP CC for camera mount stabilization

Macsgrafs

I am now a lucky owner of a FY30A, which I did try with the copter moving sideways....still levels the gimbal nicely...but it is mounted on the gimbal :)

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ross
You're using the FY30A as an independent camera stabilizer?

As for the OP CC, why is the board hard coded to require five inputs? Is that what the hang up is to making it a simple two axis camera stabilizer? I'm just asking, not trying to stir the pot.
Bart

Macsgrafs

Ross

Bart

Yes mate, just connected to the camera gimbal, no connection from the MK FC board what so ever. I have a seperate 3s lipo & 6 channel spektrum receiver+bec on my gimbal...all controlled by the delicate hands of my fiancee, but with a name like "Kirsty Carnage" I do have my worries ;)

Ross

Bartman

I'll have to put that on my list of things to work out. right now the MK camera stabilization is doing its job for the things i'm trying to do but i'd like to have the camera independent of the heli at some point so i can do more.
thanks
bart

matwelli

Ross

As for the OP CC, why is the board hard coded to require five inputs? Is that what the hang up is to making it a simple two axis camera stabilizer? I'm just asking, not trying to stir the pot.
Bart

Its just the way they have done it, not 100% sure why, but I believe its first and foremost a flight controlled, and requires the 5inputs to decide that the signals its reciving are valid

DennyR

I was lucky enough to have crash repair my CC boards so I can continue with the development that I started some weeks ago. I have a file somewhere with the set-up that was working well with it mounted on the camera base plate and as a feedforward. more follows. Just waiting for them to arrive.

Bartman

Its just the way they have done it, not 100% sure why, but I believe its first and foremost a flight controlled, and requires the 5inputs to decide that the signals its reciving are valid

so it sounds like if it has five inputs from a receiver but only outputs signals to two servos then it's happy with that arrangement and could maybe be used on a camera plate?

matwelli

so it sounds like if it has five inputs from a receiver but only outputs signals to two servos then it's happy with that arrangement and could maybe be used on a camera plate?
Yea, pretty much that should work, I played around for a while but was never happy

Now with axis lock available, it could be quite a good solution

Crash

Defies Psychics
Yea, pretty much that should work, I played around for a while but was never happy

Now with axis lock available, it could be quite a good solution
Maybe I'm not understanding. Why would you need axis lock for camera stabilization?

Couldn't you use the standard camera stabilization module and reverse the throws on the servos if necessary?

matwelli

Maybe I'm not understanding. Why would you need axis lock for camera stabilization?

Couldn't you use the standard camera stabilization module and reverse the throws on the servos if necessary?

If you use the camera stabilisation feature that is built into to coptercontrol software, but mount the controller directly on the camera mount, it won't work.
The copter control is compensating for whatever its current attitude is for the camera,imagine this scenario, the copter is level, and so is the camera, servos would be at mid travel, now tilt the airframe, the camera also moves, the copter control compensates, and as it moves back towards level, it senses this and starts to decrease its compensation, will start oscillation.

I think the best solution, if you want it camera mounted is axis lock, as it will do its best to keep the camera at whatever angle you set it to.

When I played early on I struggled to find a happy place between not enough movement and uncontrolled oscillation

matwelli

thanks for the input Mat. How's business?

Hey Bart, basically dropped down to helping dist op boards, shut the rest down. Not enough time for a very full time job, young family and a business.

Just enjoying building for myself, and flying for fun, so hope to be able to take part in the next contest.

Currently surfing the web on a android 3.1 tablet, so excuse the spelling mistakes and short replies :)

Here's the problem (IMHO, as I see it), with the MK camera stabilization the FC seems to lose track of what would be horizontal for the camera and during periods of prolonged sideways flying one must accept that the horizon won't be level.

See already I'm a little puzzled. In a long sideways flight there is no net acceleration so the FC should not get disoriented from the beginning (I'm not saying it doesn't, just that it shouldn't).

Also, with a three axis mount, pitch and roll stability are lost once you pan the camera left or right from straight ahead. So, having the camera stabilizer resident on the camera plate itself would make the stabilized camera independent of the stabilized helicopter. If the camera stabilizer were effective enough, in theory, the helicopter could be flown sideways, backwards, however and the camera mount would be seeking level in roll and stabilized at whatever tilt has been input by the camera operator and it would all be based on the movement of the camera and not the heli.
Unless flight controls are issuing stabilization commands based on where the helicopter is going to be in a fraction of a second into the future in an attempt to preempt what the gyros may sense, i can't see how stabilizing the camera itself could be bad, or impossible for the CC to figure out.

Actually that would be exactly my counter argument :) In an ideal world the FC has more information than the camera stabilizer. Especially if you had a more complete model where it factored in the stick inputs/motor speeds to help predict the future. However, we don't so that's just theoretical musings.

But the short answer is both should work fine. I'm talking to a guy now who is working on using the board for 3-axis camera stabilization only and he says in attitude mode the results are perfect. However, for some reason axis lock (which Matt mentioned) isn't working as well as it should so I'll be digging into that tonight for any bugs.

Stacky

Can anyone point me to the place in the Wiki which explains how to set up the camera stabilization. I have been able to assign the channels in the GCS and have my roll and tilt connected to channel 5 & 6 but I cant find anywhere to adjust things such as the level position and travel limits etc. I have hunted the wiki and the OP forums but havent found any "how to". I have had some help on the OP forum but thought I might try here as well. Thanks

Bartman

Stacky,
Would you mind at least providing the link or posting the info here?

Matt, is that info you linked to for a stand alone camera module? Maybe it's the same regardless of how you go about it with the camera outputs?

Bartman

that would be great Mat, thanks. Maybe a blog entry with a how to?

Is it safe to say the CC board goes on a fixed flat surface representing level in both planes and not on the camera tray itself?

THanks,
Bart

Stacky

This is Seismics "How To" which is a different thread to my one. Im sure he wont mind it here as well. This is the first link Mat has posted.

I followed this and everything worked as it should. It looks long and complicated but thats only because Seismic has been clever enough to do it all step by step. Its actually very easy to follow and I had no problems.

camera stabilization:

1) Go to your GCS.
2) Plug in your CC board.
3) Go to the input page.
4) Make sure you have Accessory 0 selected as the channel after channel 5 "Flight Mode". In another word accessory 0 is input channel 6.
5) Make sure you have a way to control channel 6 from your transmitter. Preferably a slider and lever because that will be your tilt control.
6) Turn on your transmitter
7) Plug in your battery pack to the quad.
8) Go to your GCS.
9) Click on input page.
10) Make sure it says RC Receiver connected.
11) Click on calibrate. (This process will be slightly different if you use a later firmware where there is a calibration wizard. This only pertains to firmware 0819)
12) Move all your sticks around.
13) Click your flight mode/gear switch back and forth.
14) Move your slider/lever for channel 6 back and forth. Center this lever or slider after you move it back and forth.
15) Unclick calibrate.
16) Click save.
17) Go to output page.
18) Check what it says on channel 5 and 6 output rate. In the case of a Y6 you will check what it says on channel 7 and 8.
19) If you are using analog servos on roll and tilt leave the rate at 50 Hz. If you are using digital servos you may up the rate to 333 Hz.
20) Click save.
21) Go to the camera stabilization screen.
22) Click on the camera stabilization enable button on the top left of your window.
23) Click save.
24) Unplug the power from your quad.
25) Go to the bottom left of your GCS and click on disconnect.
26) Unplug USB cord. LEDs on CC board should be off.
27) Wait 30 seconds.
28) Plug USB cord back on.
29) The hardware page of the GCS will come back on after the computer thinks for a bit.
30) Click on the camera stabilization page on the left hand side of the GCS.
31) Now the Camera stabilization box should be checked on the top left of the window.
32) Now type in the rate for roll and pitch.
33) Go down and pick the channels for roll and pitch.
34) Pick channel 5 for pitch and channel 6 for roll. (in the case of a Y6 pick channel 7 for pitch and channel 8 for roll)
35) Hit save.
36) The roll and pitch channel should still say channel 6 and 5. (Channel 7 and 8 for a Y6 with PPM SUM)
37) If one of them defaults back to none, STOP, we need to do something else.
38) This is if your roll and pitch channels say "none".
39) Go to the top right hand window. One says "settings" and the other says "Data Objects".
40) Click on the plus sign in front of Settings. A list of directory will open up.
41) Go down and find MixerSettings.
42) Click on the plus sign in front of that.
43) Scroll down until you find Mixer 5Type and Mixer6Type. (Change 5 and 6 to 7 and 8 for a Y6)
44) Mixer5Type should say Camera pitch and Mixer6Type should say Camera roll. Otherwise click on the type name and two scroll arrow will appear on the right of the window.
45) Scroll down and find Camera pitch for Mixer 5 and roll for Mixer 6.
46) Click save on top of the UAV Browser window.
47) Scroll back up to find CameraStabSettings.
48) Click on the down arrow/plus sign in the front of CameraStabSettings.
49) Click on the plus sign/down arrow in front of Input.
50) Click on the word "None" after the line [Pitch]. A window with two scroll arrows will open up.
51) Scroll up to find Accesory0. That will let you control pitch form your transmitter slider or where ever your channel 6 is on your transmitter.
52) Go down to input range and select 90 degrees for pitch.
53) Go down to output range and it should be the same number as you entered on the left side window within camera stabilization page.
54) Go to the top of the window that says UAV Browser and click save.
55) Now you may plug in your gimbal servos. Roll to the 6th output slots on the CC board and Tilt to the 5th output slots on the CC board. (Channels 8 and 7 for a Y6)
56) Turn on power on transmitter if you have it off.
57) Plug in battery to your quad.
58) Go back to the output page on your GCS.
59) Now your servos should buzz and make noise but stay neutral. Otherwise something is wrong.
60) If you move your quad the servos will move the gimbal.
61) If you move the lever on the transmitter you should be able to move the tilt servo.
62) Check the direction of travel on your servos. Are they compensating the gimbal properly?
63) If not you have to go to the output page of your GCS to reverse the channel 5 or 6 servos by clicking on the box on the right hand side of the slider. (Channels 7 and 8 for a Y6)
64) Please make sure you have propeller off the motors right now.
65) Click on test out put and move the slider back and forth on channel 5 and 6. The gimbal should move. If you missed and hit one of the other channels your motor will spin so be careful. (Channels 7 and 8 for a Y6)
66) Now set the neutral point for your roll and tilt servo.
67) Unclick the test output box.
68) Click save. The gimbal may move a little now. You may have to do the neutral set and click save a few times to get the gimbal to the position you like.
69) Go back to the input page.
70) Click on the arming option and hit save.
71) Click on the right bottom to disconnect the Copter Control board.
72) Now unplug the battery pack from your quad.
73) Turn off your transmitter.
74) Unplug the USB cord.
75) You have a working camera stabilization.