One of you tried these yet ! Sony CX 730

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
....Nice set up btw.

Nice set up ?

With all due respect it looks a godawful, infested mess. The camera plate is set far too low. The tilt pivot should ideally be through the middle of the lens - as should the roll - and just what the hell are all those cables absolutely everywhere?

But if it gets the job done then at least the main thing has been achieved.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are interested in taking stills, this camera is not for that. I purchased one and tried it out for video and stills. The video is alright and the stabilization is pretty good but the stills are not. I would say they are equivalent to that of a gopro 2. If you zoom in on the image there is absolutely no sharpness. It looks like a water painting.

JePe

yeah, but it's made for filming so... not sure why you would take pictures with it...

btw, what is the difference between the 730 en 740 besides the 300 euro more price for the 740? I can't find the real difference other then that the 740 has internal memory

jes1111

Definitely - one machine for both video and stills - it has to be a DSLR like the 5DMkII/III. The question is whether a dedicated video machine like the Sony CX is demonstrably better than a 5DMkII/III for video.

JePe

quality wise, probably not. You cannot beat full frame. but... functional, using it in a flying platform... different story. DSLR is a ***** to control. Besides, it always has more weight.
And ... biggest problem with DSLR's in the air, is vibration and 'jellowing' (rolling shutter). For pictures, no problem, just set shutterspeed high... but with filming, what I read, it's a real problem. Next to the fact that controlling the camera, focus wise, is nearly impossible in the air. On the ground it's already difficult, using follow focus, LCD screens, it's still a hassle. I use OKII which is a great help for focus, gives ya electronic control, through the camera. Would be nice if that guy from OKII made it in WiFi format, but still...

the movies I saw from that Sony, are good enough for me btw... and probably for most customers also.

I'm interested in the CX760 but also do a lot of still images. If someone has the Sony and would be willing to send a couple of raw still images (if that is possible, not jpg's) PM me and I will give you an email address. Want to see how they compare to the NEX-7 sill images. Thanks

Gary

I was responding to his question about stills...I have experience with it and was just sharing my thoughts.

Fredrik R

yeah, but it's made for filming so... not sure why you would take pictures with it...

btw, what is the difference between the 730 en 740 besides the 300 euro more price for the 740? I can't find the real difference other then that the 740 has internal memory

+1
Would like to know to...

JePe

a friend of mine said there was a difference in sensor, the 740 having a bigger sensor, but... I cannot find that anywhere, not on the Sony or anywhere else

Only difference I found was that the 740 has internal 32Gb memory, while the 730 doesn't. and the 740 has GPS geotagging. .. not sure if that is worth the 300 extra pricetag

Michael64

Nettraptor
So do think the Sony CX730 is as good as a GH2 without the need to do the hacks that need to be done to get great results. Anybody can chime in here I want to upgrade from the Panasonic G2 I have now to go to 1080 HD now I only have 720HD. Opinions would be appreciated.

Michae64

JePe

nope, both have the same... 6MP is video, 24 is image. On the Sony side only differences are : onboard memory and GPS... the 760 has even 64Gb onboard... 64Gb is a lot.... a well... I honestly don't know why to buy that 740, since both are mentioned in one breath in all tests... if there was a uge difference in sensor (ie: quality), they would definitely talked about that!

Btw, I find only more evidence, that the Panasonic GH2 delivers better quality, which is odd, because it looks like a photo camera, not a 'film' camera...

ghaynes

Twister, agree. The stills were rather poor and you can't shoot a still while in movie mode. I am primarily a still photographer. Have the Sony NEX-7 and a Nikon D800e on order. Probably will trade out the NEX7 for the D800 since most of my images are printed 36-90 inches wide.

Gary

How many options?

Hello, i am seriously considering the CX730 and am studying (and thanking everyone who posted one) any comparison between that handycam and the GH2. I am curious to know how many stabilization options are present in that camera. Then i'll ask Santa (or any owner, as waiting for Santa looks a long wait) to see a comparison between gh2 and Sony but with only-optical stabilization ON.
I ask because, as a Sony CX160 handycam user, i noticed that the "active" on-board software stabilization, apart from reducing the wide angle by a bit, influences the overall sharpness quite a bit.
Any owner out there willing to lighten up Santa work ?:tennis:

Hello Gary,
thanks very much for the link, i actually had already seen that video but got back to it and the infos about it to check if somewhere there is a mention of the stabilization used. Maybe i am missing something.... I can't find where it says what stabilizer was on on the 760 (i hope to find a video with onboard electronis stabilizer off, to see what the real resolution of the sensor and lense is :nevreness:
Thanks again (from Santa too)