Newbie from UK

Hi all, me and a couple of friends have started to build a hexacopter using the ardupilot board, weve built the frame from scratch and intend to use it for AP. I did my hel A cert a couple of years ago but can't find the certificate, anyone know if the BMFA keep records?, is it only an A cert that is required for CAA permit?. Any way I have some pics of our build so far, any advise/ tips greatfully recieved. View attachment 715View attachment 716View attachment 717

Attachments

• 2011-08-04 12.33.13.jpg
    2011-08-04 12.33.13.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 2011-08-04 12.31.34_resized.jpg
    2011-08-04 12.31.34_resized.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 301
  • 2011-08-04 12.32.15.jpg
    2011-08-04 12.32.15.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 295

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Midnight999

Welcome to MRF.. I am sure the BMFA will have your details.. give um a shout.

Where in the country are you... nice build keep us informed

Dave

Hi droider nice to hear from you, we are in south wales, it was reading your thread on AP that gave us a bit of extra inspiration to take the plunge, how is workflow going. We all work in construction management and land surveying so hope to apply this to construction uses in the main, although we have some interest from people in real estate, all in all the whole thing looks pretty exciting.

Just a quick vid of running up the first motor, we were relieved that there seems to be enough power to lift it, we were starting to worry that the weight was getting too much for the motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Hey, welcome along from a fellow UK newbie! I'm based in Reading. The build looks good, make sure to post a vid when it gets airborne!

Gunter.

Managed to get our first test flight in today, we took a gamble on some cheap props because we werent sure we had the right diameter/ pitch, we paid the price. Horrible vibration followed shortly by a snapped blade, can anyone recommend a good prop in 12"x 4.5, and a UK supplier. Other than that we were happy the Hexa seemed stable enough considering it was still in ground effect, the flight mode was stablisation only so wasn't trying to hold its position. Get some new props and give it another whirl, heres the vid.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave, I've got my CAA license and heli all sorted, but no work...what am I doing wrong??! :(

You got a web site and a portfolio?

I am quite luck in that I deal with Architects, estate agents and customers spending a small shed load on there houses and like to see the end results of there remodels solar installations etc. So I have a large data base of people to go at. I have also taken loads of example pictures of a very wide variety of subjects and mailed people with them.. I have not done loads of marketing yet and I have not launched my website which is almost ready to go because I want my CA ticket first...

Dave

ovdt

I strongly recommend Graupner 11x5 props. I'd never ever put cheap EPP props to my copter. I had the same mistake but I changed them before I had a crash.

Got our second test flight in today using the Graupner props, thanks for the recommendation they made the world of difference, flown in standard stabilize mode without changing any settings it flew great, perfectly stable and easy to control, some more testing to do in other flight modes and some tests to see how much weight it will comfortably lift. All in all very pleased with progress so far, gonna start on the camera mount soon.

Zip tied my mobile phone to the undercarriage and got some in flight footage today, pleased with the results considering there was no damping and it was really gusty