Hoverfly New Hoverfly PRO Firmware v4.6

PaNt

Aero from you settings did you change the gains?? On AH i am sure you did.. what about normal gain?

Efliernz

Pete
I did the firmware change on my DW VM-6 this morning. Testing so far shows I'm using slightly less gain on AL and manual - although I still have to do a decent FFF test. Voltage correction was easy - good instructions. OSD looks good.

I'm happy :)

Something I finally did this morning on my Futaba 10C radio... simple but it might help the newbees...

When I use manual mode, I use 60% D/rates pitch and roll. When I use AL, the rates are up at 120% (so I have enough nose-down into wind) so I have to switch the D/R switches for roll and pitch. This morning I finally set it up where the AL switch also changes the D/R's as well. Seamless switching without worrying about stick sensitivities... When I was doing a job in strong wind with my octo, I got caught out over trees into wind in AL with insufficient fwd speed. When I switched to manual, I over-reacted with the pitch (being at 120% not 60%) and nearly flipped it fwd. No more

Pete

PaNt

I am upgrading now.. :) :) i didnt know that i can tune the ATVs...!

:) :) lol...! is this on the manual??! i only put expo.!

Also what does taht mean???

2. Altitude hold slew center point is now set when activating altitude hold.

That the 0 of the AL is where you have the throttle??

In order to be sure i am telling you what i did in order to tell me everything is ok..!

1. I did remove the trims from My TX in order to do the AUTOLEVEL setup again..
2. download new setup and firmware clients
3. i upgrade to 4.6
4. i did the AUTOLEVEL as per the guide (DISABLE TEMP AND ACCEL AND RE DID THEM)
5. Checked the AL AnD AH switch they are working
6. Checked that i can change AL and AH gain..
7. SOmething i forgot??

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
So, the Gain (How much a certain feature corrects for disturbances) is defined by the ATV / end point adjustment in your radio. If the gain is too high, you will get oscillation. If it is too low your multi-rotor will float about imprecisely.

http://www.hoverflytech.com/uploads/HoverflyProUsersGuideV3.pdf
starting on page 56

For altitude hold slew, 0 climb / descent is set as the throttle position you engaged altitude hold at.

I am upgrading now.. :) :) i didnt know that i can tune the ATVs...!

:) :) lol...! is this on the manual??! i only put expo.!

Also what does taht mean???

2. Altitude hold slew center point is now set when activating altitude hold.

That the 0 of the AL is where you have the throttle??

In order to be sure i am telling you what i did in order to tell me everything is ok..!

1. I did remove the trims from My TX in order to do the AUTOLEVEL setup again..
2. download new setup and firmware clients
3. i upgrade to 4.6
4. i did the AUTOLEVEL as per the guide (DISABLE TEMP AND ACCEL AND RE DID THEM)
5. Checked the AL AnD AH switch they are working
6. Checked that i can change AL and AH gain..
7. SOmething i forgot??

Thank you

PaNt

So, the Gain (How much a certain feature corrects for disturbances) is defined by the ATV / end point adjustment in your radio. If the gain is too high, you will get oscillation. If it is too low your multi-rotor will float about imprecisely.

http://www.hoverflytech.com/uploads/HoverflyProUsersGuideV3.pdf
starting on page 56

For altitude hold slew, 0 climb / descent is set as the throttle position you engaged altitude hold at.
What about the proccedure???! of update did i forget something

About the ATV on all gains i know that i have to change them....!

What about roll and elevator and throttle ATV..!??

George also is there a proccedure for you to check the new versions that there is not BUG>.. Are we sure now for 4.6V??

Efliernz

Pete
PaNt... I run (in manual mode) 60% on roll and pitch ATV. I think it is a good place to start for you. Control response is a personal thing and varies from machine to machine. You want a machine that is stable (HF gain setup) and also a machine that is not twitchy on the controls - rolls + pitches too fast to your stick movements. That is where the ATV on roll, pitch and yaw come into it.

Pete

PaNt

PaNt... I run (in manual mode) 60% on roll and pitch ATV. I think it is a good place to start for you. Control response is a personal thing and varies from machine to machine. You want a machine that is stable (HF gain setup) and also a machine that is not twitchy on the controls - rolls + pitches too fast to your stick movements. That is where the ATV on roll, pitch and yaw come into it.

Pete

Yeap is this somewhere in the manual???

Also when you say Pitch you mean the throttle or the elevator?? because i see you write roll yaw and pitch and NO elevator..!

I didnt know that i can change the ATVs!

Efliernz

Pete
Yeap is this somewhere in the manual???

Also when you say Pitch you mean the throttle or the elevator?? because i see you write roll yaw and pitch and NO elevator..!

I didnt know that i can change the ATVs!

I don't know if that is in the manual - it is just part of r/c setup on planes and helis and multis. Just part of learning.

Roll=aileron... tip left and right
Pitch=elevator... tip forward and rearwards

Adjust the ATVs on the transmitter.

The throttle ATV setup / calibration should be sorted with the Hoverfly Setup. https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-how-to-setup-your-throttle-range-on-the-hoverflypro

PaNt

I don't know if that is in the manual - it is just part of r/c setup on planes and helis and multis. Just part of learning.

Roll=aileron... tip left and right
Pitch=elevator... tip forward and rearwards

Adjust the ATVs on the transmitter.

The throttle ATV setup / calibration should be sorted with the Hoverfly Setup. https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/en...-setup-your-throttle-range-on-the-hoverflypro
Yeao iknow...!! but i didnt know for the HFP that i can change the ATV of AIL ELEV AND YAW>..!

:) thank you!

Bluerex

Hi i did some testings, and for now AH switch both in software and OSD shows that it turns on. With only board connected to PC i lifted it from ground to about 2meters and it showed altitude change, and also passed diagnostics.
On our yesterday tests there was no sun at all, we tried also few night shots. Same situation, AH switch makes craft to drops. Its weird because AH was working great on 4.3.860. Now i will try put old firmware to HFP and do calibrations and test flight.
I ran some more tests yesterday (first time in clear air space at the local field)... Nothing I did (except for running the gain so low that there was really not much holding going on) would stop my craft doing exactly what yours is doing. The F550 now has nice bouncy pool noodle landing gear so I have not broken anything but sadly there is is no way I feel I can trust this controller on my new DW XM.

C

S11D336B

George - Hoverfly
Sorry to hear about it. I would make sure to follow the two guides below.
1. https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/21447258-throttle-range-setup-for-hoverflypro

2. https://hoverflytech.zendesk.com/entries/22418976-new-altitude-hold-v4-6-and-above

Ensure you do not change your throttle's position after you engage altitude hold.

Let us know how it goes.

You should be aware that v4.6 has a completely new altitude hold method which holds altitude typically to within 2ft. As such it operates completely differently than the older firmware's altitude hold.

I ran some more tests yesterday (first time in clear air space at the local field)... Nothing I did (except for running the gain so low that there was really not much holding going on) would stop my craft doing exactly what yours is doing. The F550 now has nice bouncy pool noodle landing gear so I have not broken anything but sadly there is is no way I feel I can trust this controller on my new DW XM.

C

Bluerex

Hi George,
Unfortunately I didn't video the behaviour (except from on-board and of course you can't see my control input from there). Basically, I can be hovering quite reasonably at maybe 45% throttle then hit the AH switch. Throttle immediately sounds like it gets cut to 30% and down she comes. If I am quick enough (and high enough) I can catch it (AH switch back off and grab a big hand full of throttle) before the pool noodles do their bit. I have AL gain about right I think because even after the bounce she levels out nicely and climbs back up again.

My tests of the AH in 4.6 so far also has the rapid decrease in throttle when switching AH on. I turned the gain on AH way down and it improved. I tuned for one flight through, so more tuning might be needed.

Bluerex

My tests of the AH in 4.6 so far also has the rapid decrease in throttle when switching AH on. I turned the gain on AH way down and it improved. I tuned for one flight through, so more tuning might be needed.
Thanks tahoe this makes three of us :)
I wound my gain down to almost nothing and this certainly fixed the "plummet" effect, but there was not much difference to leaving the switch off altogether...

C

Thanks tahoe this makes three of us :)
I wound my gain down to almost nothing and this certainly fixed the "plummet" effect, but there was not much difference to leaving the switch off altogether...

C

Same, when I turned AH off and just let the stick stay at hover, it held height just fine :) I have not used AH much anyway.

Howdy boys!

Just getting around to updating a few of the ships in the fleet.

I just updated a larger quad I have with a Gaui Crane III gimbal on it.
I use the HFP FC to stabilize this gimbal.

With 4.3 the gimbal is tuned nicely.
With 4.6 the roll is the same but the tilt is unresponsive.

I reflashed with 4.3 and the gimbal works once again tilt and roll.
Reflashed to 4.6 and again roll works but no tilt.

Any advice.

Cheers
Huck

Efliernz

Pete
Testing experiences of 4.6... is it just me?

Testing experiences of 4.6...

Flashed, calibrated twice as per the printed out guide to 4.6. Twice because the horizon on the OSD was 5-10deg off.

I have put a few batteries through my VM-6 now. The VM flew better on 4.3.802. Less twitchy in the hover and flying around. I have quite a flat hover throttle curve but you wouldn't think so... I have to be really careful landing.
From altitude, I am afraid to come down too fast in case it oscillates. I have tested several gain settings in AL and manual... I don’t trust it yet.
AL seems a bit off compared to last nights settings - which appeared off compared to yesterday mornings settings. All saved properly by downpowering with AL engaged.
Lots of AH testing - and I use AH when solo shooting. I tried (on the 10C TX ATV) from 10 to 35. On 15, it only dropped 7 meters before it settled. Greater ATV than that, it came down 20m in a hurry. It used to hold to 1m without a drop.

OSD: The Battery readout is nice but I use a Quanum 2.4G battery monitor so it's no essential. The artificial horizon is off level before and after arming. I wouldn't want to use it for fpv.

New setup client - the tilt sliders are intermittent and setting up the gimbal was hard work - and not consistant.

I am rolling back to 4.3.802 tonight. I have a media demo next Thursday and I need a nice flying machine - like I had before I flashed it last Saturday.

Pete

yeehaanow

Just flew a new heavy lift octo on 4.6. I had to increase the gains a bit from my hex, but then it seemed to fly as good or better than before. Hard to say because it's a different setup and without a payload at the moment.
I was coming straight down fast with no wobbles. Very top heavy with two big batteries on top. I can only imagine it will get better with more weight and better balance.

I also have the external compass installed but the compass heading hold is turned off at the moment. Will be flying more tomorrow to do some gps testing.