Hoverfly New Hoverfly PRO Firmware v4.6

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Perhaps I should clarify, as I too would not want it always on as it stands now. for anyone having used the DJI wookong or Naza, there is no AH to switch on, it is always assisting. The last thing anyone needs is for the AH to permanently lock the heli in place. What I am saying is to make it less of an altitude lock but more like DJI's where it is always on and trying to roughly hold where the heli is based on stick position as well as barometric pressure. essentially this gives you full manual control at all times but gives the sensation that you are a much better pilot than you really are. make sense? the naza for example has an amazing ability to hold it's altitude, but did you ever think about the fact you dont activate it? It's just on working behind the scenes so you dont have to think about it. Lets take a shot flying over a statue. You approach the statue and climb at a steady rate but when you reach your desired alt. you are able to push forward on the cyclic and not have to battle so much to keep a nice smooth alt. Again, just like DJI has it. I find that the Hoverfly takes a serious amount of throttle curve and expo to get the same smooth results I was able to achieve with the wookong. As much as I love the Hoverfly this is one thing that it lacks. I dont want to have to flip a switch to hold that steady position, it should just automatically stay where it is until the throttle is increased or decreased.

Razzil

I'm with IrisAerial. For that reason alone, was the reason I went out and purhcased a Naza.
That being said, I really do love how the Hoverfly performs. Which is the reason why I have both.
I'd like to see the option to choose, a gps module casing, and several days of low wind ... to do some testing.

yeehaanow

I think what you are saying, Iris, is to merely soften the AH centering.
So there would be two adjustments: AH gain, (sensitivity to alt changes), and AH expo (sensitivity to stick inputs).
It could still be on a two-way switch to flip off, and control gain and expo using endpoints. The low EP would determine expo, high EP determine gain. Does not matter that the low EP would also turn it off, just a toggle of the switch is necessary to change it in the air.

I have never bothered to use the AH because I found it to be a little jumpy after a short test.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont ever use it either. My first time ended up slicing my arm pretty good because I didnt know it was on and I couldnt manually land it and turn off the motors while in AH. But that was before the last few firmwares. but i tried it a month back and it just seemed like something I would never use because it is another switch to think about while focusing on flying. Without it though it is hard to maintain a nice level flight. My 7 point throttle curve set pretty flat between 30 and 70% is not enough to keep the heli from jumping around when you move the sticks even the slightest amount.

Stacky, I'm just curious, why dont you like the Naza's AH? Are you doing acrobatics?

Aerovideo

I don't know that i would like always on altitude hold either, especially since mine varies a bit and I tend to fly pretty close to the ground, any "automatic" adjustments and I'm toast :) It would have to be ROCK solid and I just don't see that happening. No offense HF guys, you rock... just the nature of barometric pressure and altitude calculations.

I have flipped on the altitude hold when doing panoramas, that can be handy.

Just my 2 cents :)

Stacky

The NAZA is great value for money but I didnt like how with the AH if I tried to film while doing a slow descent and had the throttle at a certain point it would then stop descending. Also I didnt feel like I was in control, it always felt like the NAZA wanted to do it all for me. I also didnt like the NAZA AL as it was far too stiff even with adjustments.

I am now using the AH with the HFP and how I use it is related to what i do. I get to the height I want and flick the switch and it holds for me. I like that process.

I dont ever use it either. My first time ended up slicing my arm pretty good because I didnt know it was on and I couldnt manually land it and turn off the motors while in AH. But that was before the last few firmwares. but i tried it a month back and it just seemed like something I would never use because it is another switch to think about while focusing on flying. Without it though it is hard to maintain a nice level flight. My 7 point throttle curve set pretty flat between 30 and 70% is not enough to keep the heli from jumping around when you move the sticks even the slightest amount.

Stacky, I'm just curious, why dont you like the Naza's AH? Are you doing acrobatics?

Sl4uGh7eR

Hi i did some testings, and for now AH switch both in software and OSD shows that it turns on. With only board connected to PC i lifted it from ground to about 2meters and it showed altitude change, and also passed diagnostics.
On our yesterday tests there was no sun at all, we tried also few night shots. Same situation, AH switch makes craft to drops. Its weird because AH was working great on 4.3.860. Now i will try put old firmware to HFP and do calibrations and test flight.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Stacky, that makes sense. I didnt like the Naza but thought the AH was impressive. It's wind performance was horrible! If I liked DJI stuff that much I wouldnt have sold it all and went with Hoverfly. :)

Well, I guess just best to leave it as is. I just wont use it. As long as the basics of flight arent screwed with by adding any of these gimmicks then I am happy.

Stacky

I was thinking maybe if we could have the AH on a switch so that it acts like the NAZA but the option to turn it off if we want could be good. We could have the best of both maybe?
Stacky, that makes sense. I didnt like the Naza but thought the AH was impressive. It's wind performance was horrible! If I liked DJI stuff that much I wouldnt have sold it all and went with Hoverfly. :)

Well, I guess just best to leave it as is. I just wont use it. As long as the basics of flight arent screwed with by adding any of these gimmicks then I am happy.

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
Iris, if you want a simple solution to a complex throttle curve or expo you can just program a throttle hold momentary switch. I have a throttle curve too, but when I'm shooting if I want to yaw while maintaining height or even ascending or descending I just pull my throttle hold switch in and then yaw. There is zero throttle change then and since the switch is momentary if you panic, all you have to do is let go. It works quite well. I get what you are saying now about AH being on all the time, but Stacky brings up a very good issue too. Perhaps a switch to turn it on and off as he said, but add an adjustment in the setup for how tight the "center" is.

Stacky

I have upgraded my hexa to the new firmware. I have only had 2 batteries of flight time on it. The only thing I have noticed so far is that I had to reduce my gain settings by about 10 clicks on my radio on each side of the AL switch. I havent as yet tested the AH.
I did notice there are a couple of new steps in setting the accelerometer calibration. Read all the release notes and the upgrade is easy to perform.

Aerovideo

Guys no one have fly with the 4.6??? To upgrade or not?? :) :)

I updated to 4.6 on my home made quad and did some FPV flying and it performed fantastic.

I also did some slow controlled flying with the goal of stabilizing it with FCPX to see how smooth I could get it. It turned out well for what my quad is :)

I also updated my HFPro+GPS quad but haven't had a chance to fly it yet so I can't really speak to that yet.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerovideo

NICE Aero~

Good job getting that go pro footy silky smooth.

What kind of vibration dampening are u using?

cheers
Huck

Hey Huck,

Thanks, I really appreciate especially given the awesome videos you shoot.

This baby is home made all the way, even down to the vibration dampeners :) I picked up some rubber washers in the plumbing department, drilled a hole all the way through and put a M3x10 bolt through each side. You can see them in these pictures. I used a white nylon extension to give my top platform a little more height.

View attachment 7795View attachment 7796View attachment 7797

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 208

Aerovideo

Hehe... I don't know about a lot better but I have to admit that's the cleanest video I've gotten out of that quad so far, so maybe it is the firmware. It also could be those 3 bladed props I put on there as well :)

PaNt

Hehe... I don't know about a lot better but I have to admit that's the cleanest video I've gotten out of that quad so far, so maybe it is the firmware. It also could be those 3 bladed props I put on there as well :)
hmmm lets see...:) :)