New forum area idea

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
In the coming days I'm going to be building a new feature into the site. I've had a couple of mishaps that weren't due to how I assembled things or how I was operating things and I think that some of these episodes should be noted for others going down the same road. So far we've been doing this with general forums posts but some things are just unsafe for us, represent a risk to others, and also put our investments at risk of going to waste. My cracked pressure sensor is a good example of this.
My plan is to have an area titled "Service Items" and there will be subforums for different manufacturers as well as general topic areas like "Propellers". The entire area will be moderated (all posts will be reviewed before becoming viewable) so that we can keep everything factual and prevent creating any unnecessary liability for our humble site operator. It won't so much be a discussion area as it will be a repository for known flaws or assembly errors (can you say zero ohm resistor?) that put our craft and the general public at risk.
A few examples of worthy (IMHO) posts for this new area;
MK zero ohm resistor FC assembly flaw
MK pressure sensor assembly technique
XAircraft X650 plastic FC mounting screws
EPP props, early versions were reported to shed blades
My goal isn't to discredit anyone in the process of doing this but to merely create a place where factual data can be compiled so manufacturers and builders can change things to be safer and more reliable.

Let's hear your comments on this before I go ahead and do it. Maybe it's not such a great idea, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading,
Bart

jes1111

Sounds like a commendable idea to me. But maybe expand it to cover more general "wisdoms". Examples for that second section might be:
  • the best ways to mount motors
  • why you shouldn't use prop-savers
  • safety procedures for lipos
  • how to estimate optimum engine/prop combos
  • calculating the right wire gauges to use
  • etc.

It takes a lot of reading across many forums to acquire definitive answers to so many of the dangers/problems/questions we face - having a moderated repository for all of them (good and bad) would be very valuable.

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I think there are two ideas here. I like Jes1111's idea about a repository of foundational knowledge. That kind of information would be great for the novice as well as more experienced folks who just need a quick refresh on a concept. Bartman's idea about a location for monitoring fatal design flaws is equally useful. I think both need a place.

Buzzed

Bart is there any way to build some type of knowledge base so a member might type in a specific word such as 'props' and have that relative info brought forward? Do you think this is overkill?

Macsgrafs

Already reading this thread I see that Bart has mentioned 2 problems with MK boards, things I had no idea about...is it a good idea??? You bet, go for it Bart, save us poor humble slaves some money my friend.

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bart is there any way to build some type of knowledge base so a member might type in a specific word such as 'props' and have that relative info brought forward? Do you think this is overkill?

Buzzed,
In the top right corner of just about every page is a search box. It can take some time to sort through the results but the whole site is available through that box.
I'm not going to stop anyone from putting up threads that attempt to establish "best practices" since the whole site is dedicated to the evolution of multi-rotor helicopters. If in highlighting service issues with the various models, best practices are developed then that's a worthwhile outcome.
So, for now, I'll get to work on a new section for the site and everyone can continue to use the site as they please to discuss anything multi-rotor related.
@jes1111, if prop-savers are an issue with multi's (I wasn't aware of a problem though I don't use them), please start a thread and educate us. Same for anything else that might be worthwhile to someone new to the hobby.
Thanks for the input.
Bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
MTPW

Open and honest discussions are good. For everyone to be able to tell the world of there problems and mishaps is great coz as Macgrafs says it can save others a small fortune.. My only problem with this is is the manufacturers lawyers. I personally have been on the sharp end of a manufactures lawyers sabre and it aint nice. I was right in what I did and said but it caused me an awful lot of mither. In the end I was cleared and they had their tails between their legs. I would hate MRF to be shut down by the buggers who make a living from so called product protection laws.

I agree it should be done but I think its worth considering the possible consequences

A slightly concerned Dave

Macsgrafs

Dave, they cant prosecute for the truth!!! At the end of the day its legal talk & not lawful, there is a world of difference between the two, just ask a copper, bet he cant tell you the difference! Legal applies to the PERSON..NOT the human being, legal is designed for corporations, like your legal fiction name on your birth certificate, this could be very complicated so I wont go into it here, if Bart agrees I will start a new thread called "AWAKENING the PEOPLE", it gets deep & heavy but I have some superb videos to make it all that much easier to understand.

Regards
Ross

Sebbie

Great ideas from you both, I think the titles need to show some level of fun so the legal dept should be called.
May I suggest maybe "Build Tips " and "Pandoras box of mishaps " they mean so much and so little. :)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yep I know what both Ross and Sebbie are saying BUT it still happened to me.. legal bullshit I know, but its them with more money to shake a stick at and them's like us.. I was fortunate to have a very large German sleeping giant that backed my claims.. if they had not stepped in and helped this little shrimp it would have personally cost me a fortune to defend it. A fortune I did not have and I would have had to submit... and pay the damages for.

Dave